insurance ???????

pst4u2

already booked on a cruise and all paid for, but will be layed off prior to boarding....i was wondering about health ins.... for over seas, just in case something happens......is there something that can be purchased through the cruise lines or am i out of luck.......thankyou

Most likely, your health insurance you had or have at your job would not have covered you for medical related expenses outside the US anyway.

This is probably the number 1 or close number 2 reason why people get travel insurance.

Just read this board and you'll be able to make a wise decision on what coverage is right for you and from which company to purchase it.

A number of the health policies do in fact cover emergency treatment outside the USA. But it needs to be a real emergency for the coverage to kick in.

Most travel policies will offer secondary medical so you first submit to the health plan then with their pay/decline decision move to the travel insurance for payment of the claim. In either case you are paying the provider first and getting reimbursed afterwards.

You may find the COBRA to be quite expensive. I have a ton of individual health clients who end up with an individual plan due to the cost of COBRA. With the individual plans yes Emergency care is covered outside the USA. On the travel insurance side there are policies I use where the medical can actually be primary and where they will do their best to directly pay the provider if you call for their help facilitating the care.

Archived