Tell me about Warnemunde

Got2Cruise

We plan on spending half the day in Rostock, and the afternoon in Warnemunde. I learned that Warnemunde is a seaside community with a beach and a promenade. Now I don't have to worry about going swimming in Finland.:)

We loved Warnemunde. We rented bikes and went along the Baltic bike trail... it was one of the most incredible days we have had on a cruise. We had no idea the trail was even there. The town of Warnemunde is adorable but even in the middle of July, it was too cold for the beach.

Let me know if you need any more information.

I had the opposite weather in Warnemunde. It was HOT! the beach is big and wide, and there is a lighthouse you can climb up. It is a quaint little town that I enjoyed very much. This year, I am opting for Berlin, but I still will spend part of the evening in Warnemunde.

Thank you for your replies! I found a wonderful website that seemed very extensive, but there is no English translation. My main question is "Is it easy to find the beach promenade from the ship"? And also, I would love to rent the bikes. Is it easy to find where to rent the bikes?

http://www.rostock.de/index.php?id=1 I sent them an email, in English and they replied that they will try to answer all my questions, but there is no English translation.

Hi, I live in Rostock/Warnemunde and we have been pointing out for a long time that there should be an English translation for our visitors. But things here take time to change!!!

It is very easy to get from the ship to anywhere in Warnemunde. Turn right from the ship, walk along the quay, past 'Karls' and the cross-river ferry. Turn left and you will be on the path which leads through a pedestrian tunnel into the railway station. Walk straight ahead, over the bridge (fishing boats etc on your right) and you are in the town.

The first right takes you along the waterfront of the Alte Strom (old channel) At the end straight on is the mole and left takes you to the lighthouse, promenade and beach.

The second right after the bridge takes you along my favourite street; quaint old fishermens houses (now holiday houses), little shops and a fascinating bronze fountain where there is often an English-speaking ex-fisherman, playing a mouthorgan and explaining the story depicted on the fountain. This street also leads to the promenade and beach.

Straight ahead from the bridge is the market place, a lovely old church and other quaint streets.

The fish market where the fish are unloaded from the boats, smoked and sold fresh from the fishermen's own stalls is on the right before the bridge.

For a map try

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-485019-map_of_warnemuende-i

Hope this helps, if you have any more queries please ask.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

We plan on spending half the day in Rostock, and the afternoon in Warnemunde. I learned that Warnemunde is a seaside community with a beach and a promenade. Now I don't have to worry about going swimming in Finland.:)

Hi, I am also happy to help with information on Rostock; what to see, where to eat, walking tours in English, alternate routes back to Warnemunde etc.

Please ask.

We look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful, interesting city. :)

Anni

Thank you Annie, for all of your assistance. I have been taking notes from the Rostock thread. I have one more question about Warnemunde -- concerning the Light House. I read about it on Trip Advisor and then people wrote things in German about it. lol But they did post some great pictures. Is the lighthouse along the paths?

Hi, I am also happy to help with information on Rostock; what to see, where to eat, walking tours in English, alternate routes back to Warnemunde etc.

Please ask.

Anni

Thank you Annie, for all of your assistance. I have been taking notes from the Rostock thread. I have one more question about Warnemunde -- concerning the Light House. I read about it on Trip Advisor and then people wrote things in German about it. lol But they did post some great pictures. Is the lighthouse along the paths?

Hi, the lighthouse is right in town, on the plaza at the beginning of the promenade! It is open to the public and the views are fantastic.

Anni

We found Warnemunde a nice little town, but not a whole day affair. We also shared the day with a trip to Rostock and after coming back, we walked to the beach area. We are not beach people, so we spent the time by the lighthouse and just sitting in these great wind proof chairs. It is an easy walk along the canal to the lighthouse and then on to the beach. Most of Warnemunde is along two sides of the canal, with many nice shops and restaurants along each side.

Here are a few pix to help get you orientated

Some of the shops along the canal area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster364.jpg

Walking along the canal

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster422-1.jpg

There are many nice restaurants and some sort of 'fast food' places right off the boats

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster424.jpg

The lighthouse is very nice and you can climb all the way to the top

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe446.jpg

My DW took a few minutes off to rest in one of those wind proof chairs

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe435.jpg

Just a few friends we met along the way :D:D:D:D:D

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster420.jpg

Cheers

Len

we spent the afternoon wandering the town and just relaxing by the fishing harbour eating (local?) fish and drinking local beer. was a really wonderful afternoon after a morning of rain driving to and from and visiting Lubeck (on the wrong side of the road for us as well)

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Since we will be in port for a long day, it gives people options how to spend their time if not opting for Berlin. I know not everyone are "beach" people. But for those of us who are, this is a wonderful way to explore a new place.

Please ask.

Anni

I will be arriving in Rostock in May with my mother and 4 other friends. I've been to Warnemunde before and want to return. Can you tell me how to go from Rostock to Warnemunde and back by train (or any other way)? Also, would you please give me an idea of what to see in Rostock - i.e. markets, cafes, gardens, shops, etc. Is the farmer's market in the city or outside the city? We are very interested in advice as to how to get around in and outside Rostock. Many thanks for your help.

GiantFan,

Thanks for the links to your pics, I am getting stoked for my May trip to that area!! I can't wait to sit in a "Strandkorb" (Beach basket chair)!! :D

Hi, they are great, especially when we have a cool (?) easterly.

A bit of trivia about them:-

"The strandkorb is said to have been invented in 1882 by German basketmakerWilhelm Bartelmann in Rostock on request of a tourist from Warnemünde. In 1883, he announced the first rental service in a local newspaper. The first models were single seaters and appeared quickly on other parts of the German coast. Today's models are mostly two seaters with tiltable tops, some allowing people to lie down completely. They are equipped with armrests and footrests, storage space below the seats, rain proof covers and sunshades."

Happy cruising (and sunbathing) :cool:

Anni

I will be arriving in Rostock in May with my mother and 4 other friends. I've been to Warnemunde before and want to return. Can you tell me how to go from Rostock to Warnemunde and back by train (or any other way)? Also, would you please give me an idea of what to see in Rostock - i.e. markets, cafes, gardens, shops, etc. Is the farmer's market in the city or outside the city? We are very interested in advice as to how to get around in and outside Rostock. Many thanks for your help.

Hi, The trains from the port station, Rostock Seehafen Nord (15 min walk from the ship) depart at 6 minutes past the hour arriving Rostock Hbf at 24 minutes past. Trains from Rostock Hbf depart at 34mins past the hour until 9.34pm. From the Hbf take a No5 or No6 tram into the city centre.

I understand that Celebrity usually put on shuttle buses into the city, this would be worth investigating. Otherwise a taxi is an option.

Warnemünde is a little gem, not to be missed especially on a summer evening.

From Rostock Hbf take the s-bahn from platform 1/2 to Warnemünde, departs every 15 mins.

There is also a boat trip from Rostock to Warnemünde, 40mins duration, cost about €10.

To return to your ship there is an alternative to simply reversing the outward journey:

Take the s-bahn as far as Lütten Klein then change to bus No 45 to Seehafen.

Warnemünde s-bahn dep. 5.07pm 6.07pm 8.07pm

Lütten Klein bus no 45 dep. 5.42pm 6.33pm 8.20pm

The bus journey takes about 10mins.

Another option would be taxi as it is not very far through the tunnel and you could spend at least another hour in Warnemünde.

There are cafes to suit all tastes and pockets in both Rostock and Warnemünde. The bakeries are fantastic - someone put pics on CC, but can't remember who! The local speciality is fish - especially smoked fish. Three of the best places in Rostck serving local and national dishes are Zur Kogge on the Old Harbour, Leons in the Hopfenmarkt (just off the main shopping street) and the Ratskellar underneath the Town Hall.

I presume the Farmers Market to which you refer is the Karls Erlebnis-Dorf, a kind of Strawberry theme park. It is situated a good way out of the city and not very easy to get to by public transport. Other cruisers who have been there may be of more help.

There is a market in the Neuer Markt in the city centre every day, mostly fruit and vegetables, some direct from the grower. The markets selling organic produce, meat and cheese etc. move around the city and suburbs, each location on a different day, but I think some of the stalls are in the Neuer Markt on Tuesdays.

Rostock has a good range of shops; a couple of indoor malls (very small by US & UK standards) some department stores and many small boutiques. However, Warnemünde is definitely better for souvenirs.

Rostock is very compact so the main sights can be easily reached on foot. If you want to venture further afield the public transport system is excellent.

For 2011 some short tours of the city aimed at the DIY visitor have been introduced. The Office of Tourism in the Neuer Markt runs 1 hour mini-bus tours around the city (€10 pp.). Unfortunately they do not give the opportunity to get off and on. More info by e-mail at tourisminfo@rostock.de

The Historical Society offers 1 hour walking tours of the main sights (€5pp), guided by a native English-speaker at a leisurely pace, every day during the cruise season. More info by e-mail at gwrostock@gmail.com

Hope this helps with your planning, Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions, I will try my best to answer them.

Anni

Archived