Question about the SUN

retired rascal

We love NCL and we love suite cruising. We loved the Pearl and go again in a few months and also loved the Star. How does the Sun compare??? Is is due for drydock or did it have one recently??? Any info you can give us will help us decided whether to rebook the Pearl or the Star when we go out of Florida or try the Sun. :) THANK YOU!!!!

We started with an Alaska cruise on the Star and recently enjoyed a Panama passage on the same ship -- which we thought was considerably diminished by conversion of the topside forward observation lounge, the Spinnaker, to suites. We were on the Sun from Miami to the Western Caribbean and then again out of Dover to the Baltic capitals. All in, we slightly prefer the Sun. (Now we are nuts for the Jade, since that's our next scheduled outing.)

But I have not sailed the Star since they moved the spinnaker! I never went there during the day, though, so it really doesn't matter to me about the view. I prefer the views from other spots.

The Suites and the Suite experience, I'm sure you know, are terrific on NCL.

If you are in love with the Spa experience on Star, you will be disappointed on Sun. She has a much more modest spa, no thermal suite, no lap pool, etc.

The Sun is somewhat smaller, has a more intimate feel. More genteel if you will? But does not seem cramped or little in any way.

With fewer suites, it seemed we got even more attention, but certainly did not feel neglected on Star. The Star is our favorite ship for sentimental reasons, but we love the Sun.

You can't go wrong with either ship!

Having been on Sun and Star (but not Pearl:mad:) I have to say that Sun is much better IMHO. In addition to the observation lounge disappearing act on Star, I also didn't like that Star doesn't have a Great Outdoors. While this area isn't as critical when sailing in a balcony or suite, it is imperative (to me at least) when sailing in an inside. DDP and I tend to have b'fast and lunch ...and on tiring port days, dinner there and just enjoy the relaxing nature of eating outside. While we won't have the chance to try it until next October, Sun also already has the new Moderno restaurant which Star doesn't.

We love NCL and we love suite cruising. We loved the Pearl and go again in a few months and also loved the Star. How does the Sun compare??? Is is due for drydock or did it have one recently??? Any info you can give us will help us decided whether to rebook the Pearl or the Star when we go out of Florida or try the Sun. :) THANK YOU!!!!

Haven't been on Pearl, But was on Jewel - very similar.

Haven't been on Star, But was on Dawn - very similar.

Was on the Sun. Best of the three, IMHO. I loved my aft AC on the Sun. The balcony was wonderful. I loved the ambience of Il Adagio for Suite breakfast and lunch. We went to the Sun Great Outdoors almost every day for Polish Sausage at 3 p.m. - my mom's favorite. We loved the size of the Sun too. Gosh, I want to get back on the Sun. Loved it.

Archived