1st Cruise Ever on Monarch= Sickness; Taking 2nd Cruise on Radiance= Redemption?

SrhSu

Hello Cruising Family! This is my first post after reading the forum for a couple weeks. I understand a lot of you are cruising pros and I could really use your advice.

Last year, (March 2010) I tagged along with a group of my friends on a 4 night cruise aboard Monarch of the Seas for spring break. We aren't the party animal types, so we were just looking for a affordable, quality, relaxing escape from school. My friends found it. I didn't.

The first afternoon after setting sail was fun and enjoyable. It was my first cruise so I was getting my sea legs in more ways than one. Fortunately, some of my friends had cruised before and showed me the ropes a bit. The next day was Coco Cay. I enjoyed the beach, took some pictures, and hung out with friends. When we got back on the ship, we sat around the pool for a few hours until it was time to get ready for formal night. Once my room mate and I got back to our room, I was feeling sick. I laid down, took a nap, showered -Nothing. I only felt worse. After a few hours of being sick, I stumbled down to the medical center and ended up staying there for hours. It. Was. Terrible. I had the Noro virus. They had to give me two bags of fluid and sent me back to my room where I stayed for two days. I'm going to spare you the details, but just understand it was the most miserable time I can recall. Once they finally allowed me to leave my room, we were cruising back to port Canaveral. I only got to enjoy 36 hours of my cruise.

Ironically, I was the one reading the forums, checking the news, and doing my research before we left. I came prepared with lysol, hand sanitizer, vitamin C, and basically the entire stock of a CVS. I took every precaution.

In 21 days I will be departing aboard The Radiance of the Seas with a couple friends to use the certificate I received from RCI. Cruising seems to fit my personality and I don't want to write it off yet. I'm giving it another shot. However, I am quite paranoid and some reassurance, tips, advice, etc would be wonderful.

Thanks for your patience and your help!

The times I was out and about were very much enjoyable. My state room attendent Kesley was AMAZING. I had the coke package, but since I wasn't out too much, I'm not sure if it was worth it. I was so clueless, I didn't know the windjammer existed.

I understand radiance is a lovely ship and I've seen excellent reviews. But literally everything is new to me. This is my 1st cruise do-over I guess. I know that washing hands and being careful is imperative. I'm just nervous I guess.

Archived