How to use MC fun points?

alrighty then

Can someone tell me if this is possible?

My husband and I have over 220,000 fun points (accumulated over many, many years). We are looking at a cruse for our family and would need 3 cabins. We have enough points to pay for the entire cruise for everyone (184,000 points) Is this possible? Can we use our points to pay for all 3 cabins or can we only pay for the one we are using?

Also, is this the correct way to do it... we book the cruise, put it on our MC and then when it shows up on the bill, redeem the points? Is that all there is to it?

Thanks!

My husband and I have over 220,000 fun points (accumulated over many, many years). We are looking at a cruse for our family and would need 3 cabins. We have enough points to pay for the entire cruise for everyone (184,000 points) Is this possible? Can we use our points to pay for all 3 cabins or can we only pay for the one we are using?

Also, is this the correct way to do it... we book the cruise, put it on our MC and then when it shows up on the bill, redeem the points? Is that all there is to it?

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible. We did it this time. You ask for a statement credit after you have paid for the cruise in full. We got our credit for the following statement. It worked well for us.

I haven't done this, but that is how I understand it works. You would have to pay for the cruise - the whole thing in full and at the time of booking - to have the one charge for the points to be applied toward for statement credit. You might even be able to include pre-paid gratuities if you have enough points to cover that as well.

I booked and made deposit on a Carnival cruise before the changeover from SeaMiles to Funpoints. The changeover happened soon enough after I made the deposit to use Funpoints for statement credit against that charge. After final payment, I used Funpoints for statement credit against that charge. I think it took more points to do it that way though.

I thought the points started expiring after five years, which, depending on what was happening in your life, I guess could seem like many, many years, but really isn't.

I'm not sure how many years we've had it, but I know when I go to the rewards page, it says we have 220,000 points. We put EVERYTHING on the CC and then pay it off at the end of the month so we may not have had it but 4-5 years. I know we lost a buttload of points before it switched over to the funpoints. :(

I just did this with my Carnival mastercard, though it was only for one cabin.

I called and made the reservation with a PVP. The charge showed up on my cc bill. You then go to the "redeem points" page and you can choose to use your points to pay for all of it. I also prepaid my gratuities with points.

Just make sure that those points are in fact there because, like has been stated, points are suppose to expire after 5yrs.

I got my card in 2006 and it took 5yrs to accumulate enough to pay for the cruise.

It appears the new Carnival Visa has more rewards available, though this Mastercard did too when I first received it. After 2-3yrs, they removed the "any cruise lines, resorts and airfare" usage of the points.

I'm not sure how many years we've had it, but I know when I go to the rewards page, it says we have 220,000 points. We put EVERYTHING on the CC and then pay it off at the end of the month so we may not have had it but 4-5 years. I know we lost a buttload of points before it switched over to the funpoints. :(

Then I say it's time to book that cruise and use those points! :)

I just did this with my Carnival mastercard, though it was only for one cabin.

I called and made the reservation with a PVP. The charge showed up on my cc bill. You then go to the "redeem points" page and you can choose to use your points to pay for all of it. I also prepaid my gratuities with points.

Just make sure that those points are in fact there because, like has been stated, points are suppose to expire after 5yrs.

I got my card in 2006 and it took 5yrs to accumulate enough to pay for the cruise.

It appears the new Carnival Visa has more rewards available, though this Mastercard did too when I first received it. After 2-3yrs, they removed the "any cruise lines, resorts and airfare" usage of the points.

Yep. Just used my points to pay for a cruise, and that's how I did it.... book with your PVP, give him your MC number and pay in full.. then go to the MC rewards page and designate those points to pay for the cruise.

We had some points left over, so I also used them to get OBC. For that, you just go to the MC redemption site and designate the reward. Make sure you have enough time before you sail.. they have a limitation on that.

How are they changing the rates for the points? We have a few points but I don't want to use them until our cruise in November.

Log into their website and look in the upper left corner where it shows your points. There is a link that says "click here" to learn more about the rate change.

When you do that you can enter the cost of your cruise and it will show you how many points it will cost you pre and post MAY 1, so you can compare the two.

I've done this before with fun points, if you book more than one cabin they will merge them together and give you a total cost, so for our upcoming cruise in Late April, I have 2 cabins booked, on the Credit card website they have one qualifying purchase but it's the total cost of both cabins, redeemed the points and ended with free cruise. I somehow manage to accumulate enough points every other year for a free cruise.

Thanks!

alrighty then: Please read my thread regarding my recent experience with redeeming funpoints as I think it will make the process easier for you. Also, I have a very helpful and capable Carnival personal vacation planner (PVP) who was in constant contact with me while I was having issues with redeeming my points. While this problem had nothing to do with his company he was extremely helpful throughout the process and even got on the phone with Barclaycard US at one point. He definitely went above and beyond my expectations knowing that it will be my first cruising experience. If you need his info or more details regarding what happened while trying to redeem my points please let me know.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367087

Archived