What Does Travel Insurance Cover?

What does travel insurance cover? I'm not too concerned about the medical aspect--I work at a medical facility that has an insurance policy that covers me whereever I am--even out of the country, and which has emergency medical evac to one of our three campuses in the United States if warranted (or would the emergency evac cover non-life threatening circumstances such as broken bones, etc?)

I currently have Carnival's travel insurance, but thinking about doing it from an independent carrier.

What do these cover? If the plane is delayed/cancelled due to weather, do they fly you to your first port of call? Or are there other stipulations that need to come into play?

I've cruised five times before and never had trip insurance, and fortunately, while there have been some close calls with luggage and delayed flights, I've never needed it. I doubt my luck is going to hold out forever.

What do these cover? If the plane is delayed/cancelled due to weather, do they fly you to your first port of call? Or are there other stipulations that need to come into play?

They're all different so there's no set answer to your question. You're going to have to read through the fine print to find out what is and -- equally important -- what isn't covered and how different scenarios like missing the ship are handled. There's no short cut to doing the homework. If you have a specific plan in mind call them with your questions or better yet email them so you have written copies of what you've been told.

What does travel insurance cover? I'm not too concerned about the medical aspect--I work at a medical facility that has an insurance policy that covers me whereever I am--even out of the country, and which has emergency medical evac to one of our three campuses in the United States if warranted (or would the emergency evac cover non-life threatening circumstances such as broken bones, etc?)

I currently have Carnival's travel insurance, but thinking about doing it from an independent carrier.

I've cruised five times before and never had trip insurance, and fortunately, while there have been some close calls with luggage and delayed flights, I've never needed it. I doubt my luck is going to hold out forever.

Some plans allow you to build in what you need/want for a custom policy. You may want to look for one of those.

Also, double check the work medical with regard to med-evac to ensure the med-evac will bring you home from overseas. Most will cover evac in the USA...better to double check and know for sure than need it and find out otherwise.

Archived