Dining Room with kids that are "picky"

36web

I am planning on my son eating with us at night. He is 7 and very picky. He likes beef and chicken and pork, but very plain....no sauces and stuff like that. Will they cook steak for you without all the "extra" stuff? What if he just wants a hamburger? Can I order that for him ?

I've heard that the picky kids can order from a special kids menu that has all that stuff -- hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers... My younger brother got the chicken fingers once, when he didn't want anything else. You can get a steak any night; kids and adults. This comes as a big relief to me, because we'll be cruising with my uncle and his 4 kids this summer, and they are VERY picky eaters. I mean it: one kid only eats white things -- chicken, white rice, milk...

-Maggi

Daughter is not picky, but every night we ordered something from the kids menu AND the regular menu, and mixed it up.

This past cruise, she started eating right off the regular menu. She has found she likes "cuisine". A true epicurean at 6.

On my last cruise, there were two children (around 6-8yr.) who had nothing but spaghetti and ice cream every night! Amazing to me that the parents didn't suggest they at least try different food.

I'm sure your little ones will find something on the kids' menu, but it would be an ideal opportunity to get them to try different things.:)

Problem started at home, not on the ship.

Teach the child correctly at home and you will not have to worry how he acts in public with you.

Contrary to what this poster thinks, My 15 yr old is also a picky eater and gee whiz *gasp* I dont have to worry how she acts in public. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Being a picky eater does not mean a child or adult throws a hissy fit or is unruly. My adult sister is extremely picky and does not like any food 'covered up' as she calls it. A plain steak or chicken or pasta is perfectly acceptable

Im sure your son will find lots of stuff on the menu he will like. :)

Have fun!

You can only make a child eat so much. My oldest son ate everything put in front of him til he was about 3 and realized he didnt' like some things. So, he quit eating almost everything green. He's now 21 and eats a wider variety but still isnt' big on veggies or fruit. My youngest ate almost everything til about 3 and quit drinking milk and eating most veggies. He's now 19 and eats a lot more and loves fruit and rarely eats veggies and never drinks milk. With kids, you have to choose your battles. I made them try almost everything at home, but beyond that I just let it go. Now they're adults I dont' make them eat anything, but they usually give themselves a small helping of veggies. Kids tastes are much different that adults and actually food does not taste the same to them as it does to adults. It's very common for kids to not want sauces on anything. Just plain meat is good to them. Your taste buds and ideas of what is good changes as you get older. On vacation, we always chose to just let them eat what they wanted. We do, so why shouldnt' they? When back at home, we would reinstitute that they at least had to try it. And they took vitamins. And we are actually very strict parents.

There are also "picky" adults - I consider myself one. Many foods that I see listed on the menu are not foods that I would eat. It is nice to know there is the option for steak each night - are there other options for picky eaters? My daughter is also very picky (however, she is well-behaved and tactful ;) ); however, she doesn't like steak either. I know she can get pizza and other items, but she will be in the dining room with us for meals so I'd like more info on choices she has that aren't on the menu.

Also, do they allow adults or older children to order from the children's menu?

I also have a VERY picky eater. he is 10 and only eats PBJ, cereal, mac n cheese- lots of chips and cookies- He just does not like food. he does not try it and i don't make him anymore. he is smart, very athletic and is a great kid. He also takes a vitamin. It concerns me every day but most folks say he'll eat one day. My other child eats everything so don't judge people about their kids pickiness.On the cruise, he usually eats what he likes and if he's hungry he'll order a PBJ from room service. Just consider yourself lucky if you don't have a picky eater. There are so many other worse things in life than a picky eater!!!

Any night in the dining room, if you don't see something you like, you may order the strip steak or baked or broiled chicken, baked potato, or just a vegetable plate. Those are the only two standard meat items they suggest.

I don't know why you couldn't order from the child's menu if you'd rather.:confused:

My kids are picky too and we didn't know that you could order the steak every night. They were able to find something on the menu each night anyway, and, even if they didn't eat it all, there was always 24/7 pizza if they got hungry later. I didn't worry about it too much; there's no way they would starve. :D

On my last cruise, there were two children (around 6-8yr.) who had nothing but spaghetti and ice cream every night! Amazing to me that the parents didn't suggest they at least try different food.

Cotton, I had a grown woman at my table on my last Princess cruise who ordered spaghetti from the kids menu 8 nights out of 10. She bragged that she had been on 35+ cruises. I sort of felt sorry for her that she was missing so many wonderful dishes on all those cruises that aren't readily available at home. But I guess she was happy. I don't like to cook all that much, so I just relish all the wonderful and exotic foods I get on a cruise.

Most of the wait staff really miss their own children and will go out of the way to make dinner time enjoyable for your kids. Gus and Timmi (pictured below) catered to my grandson, Eli (age 4), the entire cruise. His favorite beverage, chocolate milk, was brought out to him as soon as he arrived each meal. One evening, he told Gus that he wanted a cinnamon roll for dinner. Gus wrote it down and kept taking our orders. After he left, I told Eli that Gus might not be able to get him a cinnamon roll at dinnertime. However, when our meals arrived, Gus brought Eli a hot dog and a plate with 2 cinnamon rolls. He told him he needed to eat his hot dog first. Eli did so with no complaint.

Gus and Timmi got an extra tip from Mom and Dad and Paw Paw!

I added a pic of Gus and Timmi dancing with Eli during the after dinner entertainment.

1359328986_Elidancing.jpg.20a4be52bcf7e2f0bdf33bd9870f0d60.jpg

bjboothman]Cotton..... But I guess she was happy.

Can you even imagine having spaghetti every night of 35 cruises? Bless her heart, is all I can say.;)

I don't like to cook all that much, so I just relish all the wonderful and exotic foods I get on a cruise.

I'm a retired Food & Beverage director for hotels in N.O., and also a caterer, and I still like to cook (and eat) gourmet dishes. I just find it so difficult to believe that some people will just not TRY new dishes. Amazing, truly amazing. Every time I'm in a foreign port, I have to try a different restaurant from the last time. LOVE trying the cuisine of different cultures. I could eat my way around the world! oink-oink:D

I just find it so difficult to believe that some people will just not TRY new dishes. Amazing, truly amazing. Every time I'm in a foreign port, I have to try a different restaurant from the last time. LOVE trying the cuisine of different cultures. I could eat my way around the world! oink-oink:D

My dad (who just passed away 4 weeks ago) felt the same way. He loved to travel and try new foods! In the mid-80's he spent a lot of time in Taiwan, and always went out to local places to eat. Okay, one time he wound up with food poisoning - could've been the water - but it never stopped him! He just tried again. I've tried to carry on in his footsteps, as does DH (his parents were similarly inclined to try new cuisine and new experiences). We're trying to bring the kids up in the same vein. So far our 13 YO likes to experiment (if we can keep him out of the pizza place), but the 9 YO is another story! Always has been picky, too - he never liked the baby foods the older one liked!

My daughter is also a picky eater. On the first night of our cruise I was a little nervous until she ordered a hotdog and the waiter put the ketchup on it for her. Away went the worries, she felt like a princess and actually did try a few new dishes knowing she could always get a hotdog if she didn't like what she had ordered.:)

On our last cruise in Oct we also found a wonderful waiter like Pat and his grandson were able to. He told us he had a teenage girl and she didn't like all the same foods he did. The first night she had chicken fingers. The second night he had a sample platter waiting with 4-5 different foods. Hot dog, burger, pasta, pizza and chicken fingers. She was able to order what ever she wanted from the menu or the " waiters special" as the called it. After that first night he never forgot how they wanted it prepared or what to bring on the side.

Our only problem showed when we returned and she expected the same service from the wait staff at home....... NOT

Remember your on vacation ask for whatever you want, if the staff can find it for you or the picky eater in your group they will.

Teach the child correctly at home and you will not have to worry how he acts in public with you.

What the heck???!!!

What starts at home and what does being a picky eater have to do with how a child acts in public? I can't stand it when people judge other people they don't even know!

Blood Pressure rising fast....

I have a picky eater...she can't help it....she is now 16 is in excellent health, an athlete, and no eating disorders. The doctor says the bigger deal you make of it the worst problems you can cause. Forcing children to eat things they don't like and to clean their plates causes a lot of eating issues and disorders. Proven fact.

Her eating habits have nothing to do with her manners in public! Get real! :mad:

Huh?? I must have missed where the OP said they were worried about how their son acted in public. Eating a plain steak or a hamburger isn't bad table manners last time I checked!

I have a picky 10 yr old daughter. She did try several more "exotic" dishes, which surprised me, but she ended up eating a steak several nights and on Thanksgiving dinner had a cheeseburger and fries. The waiters are very accomodating and will bring whatever your child wants. Your son will be just fine :)

On our first cruise, my brother-in-law, who is an extremely picky eater, had a steak and plain baked potato each and every night on our cruise. I remember him being good company and he "acted" just fine! ;)

In response to the posters question....you will not find wait staff anywhere more accommodating. One of the cruises we went on when my daughter was much younger...the headwaiter would have a bowl of cereal with a fancy little creamer with milk in it! They'll serve just about anything the little picky guy will want! Don't worry!

Archived