How do you carry your passport etc.. on excursions?

ahutchins9

I have traveled extensively in many third world countries, including a couple of 3 week + stints in Southeast Asia. I ALWAYS have my passport on me. I would never leave it in the ship. What if you have an accident and need to be airlifted out of a foreign country? A copy of your passport will do you no good, and you do not want to be waiting on the embassy to make you another.

You can buy an inexpensive thin, fabric "neck wallet" that will hold your passport under your clothes. Or a money belt, same idea. I always use this. I will be *wearing* my passport, my husband's, and my son's. Nobody is going to steal it from me...I think I'd notice a stranger's hands coming up under my bra!

In my opinion, leaving your passport in the ship's safe is foolish. NO other ID is accepted in a foreign country if you need to fly back to the US. Take your passport with you while in port. Wear it discreetly under your clothing. It will not be stolen.

we agree with you 100%. anybody that leaves their passport on the ship in the safe is a newbe, rookie cruiser. (remember this is my opinion) and i'm sticking to it.

This past cruise we made copys of our passports & stuck em in our backpack. Upon our trip home I put em away with our passports in our safe ready to take on our next trip.

I got the idea to copy it from this board, even though nothing out of the usual happened it was a pretty smart suggestion to copy it. Kudos to the smart CCer who suggested it!

we agree with you 100%. anybody that leaves their passport on the ship in the safe is a newbe, rookie cruiser. (remember this is my opinion) and i'm sticking to it.

I've been on seventeen cruises over the last twelve years and I always leave my passport in the cabin safe while I am off the ship in the port.

Well then, I guess you didn't have to worry about how you were going to carry your passport on an excursion (which is the question that started this thread - some people don't seem to realize that however).

Exactly. If you are on a Med cruise, then there is nothing to worry about. That was the exact point of my post. The point of my post was that people who are on a Med cruise don't have to worry about how to carry a passport because they wont have one.

Except for me: I've been cruising for 20 years now,

going on 30 cruises, and my passport stays in the safe.

Not just my opinion, my reality. :)

Except for me: I've been cruising for 20 years now,

going on 30 cruises, and my passport stays in the safe.

Not just my opinion, my reality. :)

you may think 30 cruises is a lot (i disagree) . you say you have done many cruises, but IMO you still act as a newbe. your passport was issued to you for the purpose of flying and to prove you are a US citizen. this can't be done if it is locked in your safe and you have a problem in a foreign land. you paid for it so use it.

The number of cruises a person has been on means nothing, except maybe you are lucky one way or the other. Lucky you didn't have an accident, lucky you didn't get left behind for some unforeseen reason, lucky you didn't have it stolen if you took it.

How often you travel is the real question. Seasoned travelers do not allow themselves to be in a foreign country without access to the only form of international ID, a passport.

In a stationary place such as a land vacation, season travelers may leave it in a hotel safe because they know they can get to it no matter what, not true of a cruise ship.

The number of cruises a person has been on means nothing, except maybe you are lucky one way or the other. Lucky you didn't have an accident, lucky you didn't get left behind for some unforeseen reason, lucky you didn't have it stolen if you took it.

How often you travel is the real question. Seasoned travelers do not allow themselves to be in a foreign country without access to the only form of international ID, a passport.

In a stationary place such as a land vacation, season travelers may leave it in a hotel safe because they know they can get to it no matter what, not true of a cruise ship.

As I have stated before, my experience is that on a Med cruise our passports have been taken from us when we boarded. You can advocate for taking passports wherever you go, but the reality is different.

you may think 30 cruises is a lot (i disagree) . you say you have done many cruises, but IMO you still act as a newbe. your passport was issued to you for the purpose of flying and to prove you are a US citizen. this can't be done if it is locked in your safe and you have a problem in a foreign land. you paid for it so use it.

Even with my passport I cannot fly and I'll bet you cannot either.

Don't forget lucky your passport wasn't stolen because you needlessly took it off the ship when you didn't need to.

We will be going on our first cruise in August. I was wondering what is the best way to carry your passport, ss card, id, money etc..... when you get to port?

Unless you have to carry the actual passport on shore the best advice is don't take it, leave in the cabin safe. But it is a good idea in any foreign country to have a good copy of the passport in case you are challenged by someone in authority to prove your identity. Only the data page is needed. As a couple, we carry copies of both of ours so that each of us has identification for both.

Unless you have to carry the actual passport on shore the best advice is don't take it, leave in the cabin safe. But it is a good idea in any foreign country to have a good copy of the passport in case you are challenged by someone in authority to prove your identity. Only the data page is needed. As a couple, we carry copies of both of ours so that each of us has identification for both.

A copy of a passport isn't proof of anything, and cannot be used for ID purposes. A copy of a passport is not will not prove your ID.

Don't forget lucky your passport wasn't stolen because you needlessly took it off the ship when you didn't need to.

In the event of a theft, of which I take proper caution against such as wearing it under my clothing....Not too many pickpockets stick their hands up the front of your shirt.....I would report it stolen and board my ship, continuing on with my cruise.

It is your opinion a person wouldn't need it, the fact is you DO need it if you are left behind, to board a train, plane or to leave the country. OR if you are in an accident and cannot board the ship (which I said happened to my aunt, so it does happen).

Walking around a foriegn country without proper ID (a copy is not accepted for ID purposes only for replacing your Passport as it has your number on it and our drivers license isn't international ID either).

Your decision not to take it is a choice, the fact is there are cases you have to have it, you are just banking on those things not happening to you. Which, of course, is your choice.

Please don't contend that there is no need to carry a passport in a foriegn country, just say that you are choosing not too because you feel the odds are not in favor of you needing it.

Passports are meant to be used, not stored away like gold. Take the same caution you do to protect that credit card with $1000's of dollars in credit and your money.

If you are left or in an accident, you have it are required to get home or prove who you are. If it is stolen you report it's theft, or in many cases, lost, and you board your ship and continue on. Of course you have to deal with it at embarking time.

We can't help but note that most of the folks who love to carry their passports ignore the fact that many cruise lines take your passports at embarkation and hold them until near the end of the cruise. This is very common for cruises in Europe, Asia and South American. So I guess the cruise lines and their pursers do not think you need to carry the things.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In the event of a theft, of which I take proper caution against such as wearing it under my clothing....Not too many pickpockets stick their hands up the front of your shirt.....I would report it stolen and board my ship, continuing on with my cruise.

It is your opinion a person wouldn't need it, the fact is you DO need it if you are left behind, to board a train, plane or to leave the country. OR if you are in an accident and cannot board the ship (which I said happened to my aunt, so it does happen).

Walking around a foriegn country without proper ID (a copy is not accepted for ID purposes only for replacing your Passport as it has your number on it and our drivers license isn't international ID either).

Your decision not to take it is a choice, the fact is there are cases you have to have it, you are just banking on those things not happening to you. Which, of course, is your choice.

Please don't contend that there is no need to carry a passport in a foriegn country, just say that you are choosing not too because you feel the odds are not in favor of you needing it.

Passports are meant to be used, not stored away like gold. Take the same caution you do to protect that credit card with $1000's of dollars in credit and your money.

If you are left or in an accident, you have it are required to get home or prove who you are. If it is stolen you report it's theft, or in many cases, lost, and you board your ship and continue on. Of course you have to deal with it at embarking time.

First of all, if I need a replacement passport I can get one. Second, the ship knows who left and who didn't come back. I asked about this and I was told that if you do not return, they will check your safe for a passport and leave it with the local agent.

You have not responded to anyone that points out that there are cruises where your passports are collected on day one and returned on the last day. Obviously in this case you can't take your passports with you. How do you respond to that?

Finally I can control when I return to the ship. I cannot control who holds me up and where. Thus I figure the chances of my missing the ship are less than my chances of having the passport get lost or stolen.

Therefore, since there is no reason to take the passport off the ship, I choose not to take the passport off the ship.

I don't take the copy for id, I take it because it make replacement of the passport easier.

As to the credit card, while I have not had a card stolen, I have had the number stolen, which amounts to the same thing. I haven't had to pay for the times someone else used my card card number without my permission.

Again, I have flown to foreign countries and I have cruised to foreign countries. The only time I needed the passport was when I was in the airport or when I was in the ship's home port terminal. I have never been asked for my passport at any other time. So, do I need my passport while in a foreign country? Apparently not.

Edited by Cuizer2

First of all, if I need a replacement passport I can get one. Second, the ship knows who left and who didn't come back. I asked about this and I was told that if you do not return, they will check your safe for a passport and leave it with the local agent.

You have not responded to anyone that points out that there are cruises where your passports are collected on day one and returned on the last day. I did respond to that, a couple times. If a cruise ship takes your passport that is a no brainer, you can't take it. End of story. I'd not like that as I think it leaves passengers vulnerable, I hadn't heard that some ships do that, it's a bad policy in my opinion but what can you do there?

Obviously in this case you can't take your passports with you. How do you respond to that?

Finally I can control when I return to the ship. I cannot control who holds me up and where. Thus I figure the chances of my missing the ship are less than my chances of having the passport get lost or stolen. This is a calculated risk you are free to take. I see it the other way and earlier I posted the odds of being robbed of your passport, much less than 5% I based that on the statistics out on passports issued and passports reported stolen to date in 2011, it ended up being roughly 5% AND that included those passports lost not just stolen, so the theft issue is probably about half 5% so let's be generous and say 3-4%, not worth being stuck in port for who knows how many days vs. having it stolen, getting on the cruise, and dealing with the re-issue at the end of the cruise.

Therefore, since there is no reason to take the passport off the ship, I choose not to take the passport off the ship.

Let's talk FACTS, you in fact must have a passport is you are left in port for what ever reason or you cannot leave and re-enter the US. That is a reason based on fact. Now, if you think the odds are small enough then you are making a choice to risk that.

I hesitate to say to people, there is NO reason. That is misleading because the fact is in certain situations you must have it. Say instead you are choosing to go without in because you think the risk is low.

I don't take the copy for id, I take it because it make replacement of the passport easier. This is the only use for a copy. Exactly why I leave it in the save on the ship. If the passport is lost, I board the ship, phone or email the powers that be the number of my passport and report it stolen.

This is vs. in the event of some mishap, being in port without it, and waiting days to replace it.

As to the credit card, while I have not had a card stolen, I have had the number stolen, which amounts to the same thing. I haven't had to pay for the times someone else used my card card number without my permission.

Again, I have flown to foreign countries and I have cruised to foreign countries. Myself as well and well as many others here. The only time I needed the passport was when I was in the airport Exactly, if you are left in port for whatever reason you need that passport to get home. or when I was in the ship's home port terminal. I have never been asked for my passport at any other time. So, do I need my passport while in a foreign country? Apparently not.

If you have traveled that much everyone knows you need a passport in a foreign country. Because you haven't had occation to need it means you have either taken good care as a person who travels or you've been lucky.

FACT - A passport is the only internationally accepted form of ID. I don't travel around the US wihtout my ID. Since my US ID isn't accepted anywhere but here, I use the internationally accepted form - Passport.

BTW - I haven't had to show my drivers license for years, no accidents, no speeding, no reason. That doesn't mean I don't carry it. Same thing!

We can't help but note that most of the folks who love to carry their passports ignore the fact that many cruise lines take your passports at embarkation and hold them until near the end of the cruise. This is very common for cruises in Europe, Asia and South American. So I guess the cruise lines and their pursers do not think you need to carry the things.

Hank

I addressed that a couple times, you don't have control over that and it's too bad. Just because they do it doesn't endorse anything. There are plenty of travel agencies out there that think that's a bad idea and recommend you always carry it.

But what can you do? You can't contols this or many other things the cruise line does.

We will be going on our first cruise in August. I was wondering what is the best way to carry your passport, ss card, id, money etc..... when you get to port?

Just to clarify...........if you are referring to a social security card when you say "ss", no need to even bring that on a cruise.

I carry my things in a small purse with a long strap that I put across my body. Or if going to the beach a larger tote bag is appropriate.

Welcome to cruising. I would say welcome to Cruise Critic but if you've been following this thread, you've by now discovered that there are some seriously obnoxious people on here who find any reason to fight on the boards. :mad:

In answer to your question; the only time I have ever been asked to take my passport off the ship with me was on Celebrity in Alaska when we were actually switching countries during a shore excursion. Other than that, it stays on the ship in the safe.

If I have an accident in a foreign country and have to be airlifted somewhere, my traveling companion will go back to the ship to get my passport for me. That isn't a concern of mine.

That's a good question. I have a same concern. The first one of mine to Alaska. Does any one know passport require for these ports: Ketchikan, Tracy Armfjord, Juneau, Skagway, Alaska inside passage and Victoria, Bristish colombia.

Regards,

Lc

That's a good question. I have a same concern. The first one of mine to Alaska. Does any one know passport require for these ports: Ketchikan, Tracy Armfjord, Juneau, Skagway, Alaska inside passage and Victoria, Bristish colombia.

Regards,

Lc

This is actually an easy question. Since your cruise calls at a Canadian port you must have a passport. We do beliive that a passport card might also be adequate, but you would need to double check this with the cruise line as to whether they would accept a passport card. Since passport cards have very limited use (they are primarily for folks who live near the border and go back and forth) it makes sense to get a Passport which is good for 10 years and gives the freedom to go anywhere.

Hank

This is actually an easy question. Since your cruise calls at a Canadian port you must have a passport. We do beliive that a passport card might also be adequate, but you would need to double check this with the cruise line as to whether they would accept a passport card. Since passport cards have very limited use (they are primarily for folks who live near the border and go back and forth) it makes sense to get a Passport which is good for 10 years and gives the freedom to go anywhere.

Hank

Thank you Hank

Regards,

Lc

Hank

Thank you Hank

It's not an easy question, and your advice may not be correct, because the poster hasn't said where the cruise starts and ends. If it's a closed loop cruise starting and ending in the US (for example in Seattle). and the poster is a US citizen, no passport is required...a (government issued) birth certificate and photo ID such as a drivers license is sufficient.

• 3 months later...

For those fans of taking your passport with you on an excursion, where precisely do you put your passport while you are at a beach and snorkeling in the water for an hour?

I've been to several Caribbean resorts and I wouldn't trust my passport in a bag on the beach at all while I was swimming.

For those fans of taking your passport with you on an excursion, where precisely do you put your passport while you are at a beach and snorkeling in the water for an hour?

I've been to several Caribbean resorts and I wouldn't trust my passport in a bag on the beach at all while I was swimming.

Well, where do you keep your DL, money and credit cards then???

Wouldn't you run the very same risks of losing those as you would losing your passport?

Just saying