How do you carry your passport etc.. on excursions?

ahutchins9

We will be going on our first cruise in August. I was wondering what is the best way to carry your passport, ss card, id, money etc..... when you get to port?

Hi, you do not need to carry your documents when you leave the ship. Your "sign and sail" card acts as your passport. Each passenger, even babies, need this card when they leave the ship because when you check in before your cruise, a mug shot is taken of each passenger and that picture is embeded on your card. This card is checked by security and entered into the system so that they know who is onboard and who has gone ashore. If you are still uncertain, you can double check with the port agent when you arrive at the pier. So, put your travel documents in the safe in your cabin and have a wonderful day at your port of call.

Catherine

aka Stella

we agree with you 100%. anybody that leaves their passport on the ship in the safe is a newbe, rookie cruiser. (remember this is my opinion) and i'm sticking to it.

No we do not all agree with you. I never take my passport on shore but do take a copy. This can be used at any embassy in case of emergency.

Calling people names and being derogatory is like saying all people from Eastern PA are idiots while those from Western PA are the smart ones. That makes me the smart one. It is your opinion and it is about as important as nothing. Please be more respectful of others and allow them their opinions as they allowed yours.

This is actually an easy question. Since your cruise calls at a Canadian port you must have a passport. We do beliive that a passport card might also be adequate, but you would need to double check this with the cruise line as to whether they would accept a passport card. Since passport cards have very limited use (they are primarily for folks who live near the border and go back and forth) it makes sense to get a Passport which is good for 10 years and gives the freedom to go anywhere.

Hank

Made that cruise few years ago right after the stricter requirements came out. Needed a passport to board the ship but never took it out of the safe afterwards.

Some discussion degrade very very fast with no real new information being presented. this one has gone downhill faster than any I have seen on CC but who knows maybe it will get locked. We should all be so lucky.

Edited by Potstech

Made that cruise few years ago right after the stricter requirements came out. Needed a passport to board the ship but never took it out of the safe afterwards.

Some discussion degrade very very fast with no real new information being presented. this one has gone downhill faster than any I have seen on CC but who knows maybe it will get locked. We should all be so lucky.

Sorry, you're incorrect. A US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop cruise. Here's the DHS rule (if you'd like, you can also read the passport reuirement FAQ on the Web site of any major cruise line):

The US regulation is 22 CFR § 53.2 (b)(2) which reads as follows:

Quote:

Exceptions.

(b) A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States:

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

Edited by njhorseman

"Quote:

Originally Posted by Potstech viewpost.gif

Sorry, you're incorrect. A US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop cruise. Here's the DHS rule (if you'd like, you can also read the passport reuirement FAQ on the Web site of any major cruise line):"

Before you going calling me a liar you had best been standing next to me when I check in for my cruise. I was asked for a passposrt as was my wife. We showed the passport and were allowed to board the ship. This ship also stopped in Victoria so it did go to another country.

So please keep quoting all tha items you want from the government websites BUt as I said do not call me or any one else a liar unless you were standing next to them when they boarded. Sorry but you are the one who are incorrect about what I went through. Next time get your reality straight before you make accusations.

"Quote:

Originally Posted by Potstech viewpost.gif

Sorry, you're incorrect. A US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop cruise. Here's the DHS rule (if you'd like, you can also read the passport reuirement FAQ on the Web site of any major cruise line):"

Before you going calling me a liar you had best been standing next to me when I check in for my cruise. I was asked for a passposrt as was my wife. We showed the passport and were allowed to board the ship. This ship also stopped in Victoria so it did go to another country.

So please keep quoting all tha items you want from the government websites BUt as I said do not call me or any one else a liar unless you were standing next to them when they boarded. Sorry but you are the one who are incorrect about what I went through. Next time get your reality straight before you make accusations.

It's normal to be asked for a passport when you get to the pier...I hear that all the time... (its just easier to say that one thing) but then when you produce the proper alternative documentation it will be accepted, because the law allows it.

No one is calling you a liar...I was explaining the details of the laws and regulations governing the situation...laws and regulations that not everyone knows or understands.

Of course your cruise stopped in Canada...any cruise on a foreign-flagged ship must call on a foreign port. You can't sail from a US port and only call on other US ports. The law governing this is called the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and was enacted into law in 1886.

You might want to consider educating yourself rather than making foolish statements. Do you think the regulations published on government Web sites, and the information published by the cruise lines are there to trick passengers into not bringing the proper documentation so they can be turned away at the pier?

FYI...there is one cruise line I'm familiar with...Crystal... that insists you have a passport even if you're on a closed loop cruise that under the law doesn't require it.

Edited by njhorseman

It's normal to be asked for a passport when you get to the pier...I hear that all the time... (its just easier to say that one thing) but then when you produce the proper alternative documentation it will be accepted, because the law allows it.

No one is calling you a liar...I was explaining the details of the laws and regulations governing the situation...laws and regulations that not everyone knows or understands.

Of course your cruise stopped in Canada...any cruise on a foreign-flagged ship must call on a foreign port. You can't sail from a US port and only call on other US ports. The law governing this is called the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and was enacted into law in 1886.

You might want to consider educating yourself rather than making foolish statements. Do you think the regulations published on government Web sites, and the information published by the cruise lines are there to trick passengers into not bringing the proper documentation so they can be turned away at the pier?

FYI...there is one cruise line I'm familiar with...Crystal... that insists you have a passport even if you're on a closed loop cruise that under the law doesn't require it.

So now you are calling people stupid with your request that I educate myself to your government sites instead of my pratical knowledge of the cruise this person asked for. Sorry but heir is only one person here who is not seeing reality and has the nerve to be condescending to others. I am done because you are the all knowing and with that attitude I can see why you do not know the in's and out's of what passengers go through.

I have never and will never take my passport on shore with me. This is an invitation to have it stolen. The percentage of people having their passport stolen is probably way higher than the percentage of those missing their ship. If that happens I know I can get any embassy to replace my passport with the copy I carry. If that goes against your ideaology then too darn bad because that is the way I and many others do it and so far it works for the majority of passengers.

You do it any way you want and I will do it aany way I want. I will not let you call me or anyone else stupid or a liar jsut because they do not conform to what you think.

And yes you did insinuate both.

So now you are calling people stupid with your request that I educate myself to your government sites instead of my pratical knowledge of the cruise this person asked for. Sorry but heir is only one person here who is not seeing reality and has the nerve to be condescending to others. I am done because you are the all knowing and with that attitude I can see why you do not know the in's and out's of what passengers go through.

I have never and will never take my passport on shore with me. This is an invitation to have it stolen. The percentage of people having their passport stolen is probably way higher than the percentage of those missing their ship. If that happens I know I can get any embassy to replace my passport with the copy I carry. If that goes against your ideaology then too darn bad because that is the way I and many others do it and so far it works for the majority of passengers.

You do it any way you want and I will do it aany way I want. I will not let you call me or anyone else stupid or a liar jsut because they do not conform to what you think.

And yes you did insinuate both.

I'm curious how you morphed what I said into anything advocating taking your passport ashore? In fact I agree totally with you on that point...I never take my passport ashore except where the authorities require it, such as Russia.

I have the strange feeling that you've confused what I've said with someone else's words. Maybe that explains some your apparent anger.

I don't make the laws and regulations governing passport requirements...I've cited them here to in order to provide the facts that will hopefully help cruisers understand them and carry the proper documentation. The laws and regulations are facts, not opinions. I don't want misinformation to be propagated and perpetuated on a Web site like this that so many people look to as a source of information.

• 3 years later...
Do Canadians have to bring passports on excursions? Have any Canadians had experience going through customs with a drivers license?

I'm not a Canadian, but the general rule of thumb is no...you aren't required to take your passport ashore. You have to take your cabin key card and generally a photo ID such as a drivers license. (I would never go ashore without a photo ID even if the port of call technically doesn't require it.)

The cruise line will tell you if a port (or a particular shore excursion, if it goes into a different country) requires a passport.

FYI...as I see you're new to Cruise Critic, IMO if you have a question that isn't covered in a recently active thread it's better to start a new thread rather than opening and posting on one that's been inactive for years such as this thread. The reason is that some posters don't pay attention to the date a post was made and will start responding to and even arguing with posts made years ago. It isn't very productive or helpful to anyone when that happens.

Edited by njhorseman

Usually you only need your seapass card and a Picture ID which could be you drivers license or state ID card at ports to get back on the ship.

We leave our passports in the cabin.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

• 4 years later...
On 3/28/2011 at 8:43 PM, Scorpiorose said:

and I want to shout...TAKE you passport with you!!! It's a hotly debated issue but it's a PASS PORT, as in a pass in and out of port, I always take mine in case of an accident or missing the ship. If you lose it, the embassy will replace it.

It's the ONLY internationally accepted form of ID, take it with you and wear it under your clothing like your credit cards, other id and money.

This is not a given, this is why ships can't and don't tell you not to take it. It's a personal choice UNLESS the ship takes them away from you, I guess they do that in some ports then you have no choice.

Know the risks advantages and disadvantages of both situations and then research it on various travel sites and their advise. Then make your own decision.

I wouldn't want to tell someone to leave it, then they miss the ship, can't get a flight out, or an accident, and oh the problems. This happened to my aunt....and things happen....beyond your planning and you miss the ship.

Research and make a choice for youself, don't take just what ppl say on these boards, that is all opinion.

Good luck!

I agree with Scorpiorose.  I think that it's important to consider the reasons to absolutely take the passport with you in ANY foreign port.

1) If you get sick, have a motor vehicle accident (your tour bus or other) or mix up the local time and miss the ship, getting home with no passport can be a difficult, expensive, lengthy process.  Getting home with a photocopy of your passport may not be much better, given the amount of fraud and illegal trafficking in fake passports that goes on.

If you miss the ship, there is no assurance that the cruise line will reliably enter your cabin, rescue your passport and leave it with the port agent.

2) You carry a driver's license, credit cards, your sea-card and other important forms of ID with you when you leave the ship.  Yet, somehow, there is a meme circulating elevating the passport to "scary" status.  It's your key form of identification in a foreign port and it's not scary...it's just a document.

Yes, avoid putting it in your back pocket, and certainly do hide it on your person.  But the same rule applies to your driver's license, credit cards and sea card.

Scopiorose is right in saying that it's an individual choice.  I've made mine. :-)))

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2011 at 7:47 PM, 78ultra81108 said:

Let me float this for you as a hypothetical and then I'll simmer down on the topic.

Let's say my DH and I are on a tour. We left our passports on the ship. DH has a serious, acute health issue. We are able to be removed from the tour location to a hospital somewhere in a foreign country. I, of course, do not leave my DH's side. After a period of hours, maybe even a full day, it is determined that DH needs to stay overnight in the hospital. The cruise ship has long since left the port. At this point, we either need to get DH to the next port of call or call the trip a wash and head back home.

How are you going to get your passport to fly ANYWHERE in this scenario?

Are you okay with contacting an embassy (do you know where it is and how you would get there?), waiting in lines, dealing with a delay to get a replacement passport for you and your partner while they are in hospital?

Extreme? Maybe. But you could have had your passport in a neck wallet under your clothes the whole time.

I will not get into the usual CC argument about whether to carry your Passport (we generally leave our locked in a safe...and have been traveling extensively for over 50 years!).     But I will provide you with the usual solution to your issue.  If you are in an accident or cannot return to the ship the ship will be aware that you have not returned (hopefully you will have been able to notify them....but if not they still know you missed the ship).  In such cases they will  normally dispatch security to your cabin to search for your Passport (and any other important documents) which they will leave with their local agent.  Each cruise line has their own protocol for how they handle these situations, but this is the norm.  And yes, the ship's security folks can open your safe and that is the first place they look.

As to the scenario you did not mention, suppose you are carrying your Passport and it is lost of stolen (we know several of these cases...first hand)?   Getting an emergency replacement can take several days and becomes very expensive.  As to the "neck wallet"  (we have one) we are aware of one cruiser who was carrying both his and his wife's Passports in a neck wallet.  The gentleman took an excursion to Dunn River Falls (Jamaica) and took a nasty fall while climbing the falls (it happens).  He was OK (except for a sprained wrist) but those wet Passports were no longer usable (defaced or water damaged Passports are not acceptable) so he had to later spend $220 for replacements.  

And finally we would reiterate what was mentioned in another post.  When you cruise all over the world there are plenty of times when the ship's purser will take everyone's Passports and hold them for days or even weeks.  This is necessary for the clearance procedures in some ports.   In those cases, getting your Passport back (to take ashore) can become a major hassle....especially if you have to sit around the ship half the port day until the purser is able to return the document (which you will generally have to return to the purser that same evening.

Hank

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will not get into the usual CC argument about whether to carry your Passport (we generally leave our locked in a safe...and have been traveling extensively for over 50 years!).     But I will provide you with the usual solution to your issue.  If you are in an accident or cannot return to the ship the ship will be aware that you have not returned (hopefully you will have been able to notify them....but if not they still know you missed the ship).  In such cases they will  normally dispatch security to your cabin to search for your Passport (and any other important documents) which they will leave with their local agent.  Each cruise line has their own protocol for how they handle these situations, but this is the norm.  And yes, the ship's security folks can open your safe and that is the first place they look.

As to the scenario you did not mention, suppose you are carrying your Passport and it is lost of stolen (we know several of these cases...first hand)?   Getting an emergency replacement can take several days and becomes very expensive.  As to the "neck wallet"  (we have one) we are aware of one cruiser who was carrying both his and his wife's Passports in a neck wallet.  The gentleman took an excursion to Dunn River Falls (Jamaica) and took a nasty fall while climbing the falls (it happens).  He was OK (except for a sprained wrist) but those wet Passports were no longer usable (defaced or water damaged Passports are not acceptable) so he had to later spend $220 for replacements.  

And finally we would reiterate what was mentioned in another post.  When you cruise all over the world there are plenty of times when the ship's purser will take everyone's Passports and hold them for days or even weeks.  This is necessary for the clearance procedures in some ports.   In those cases, getting your Passport back (to take ashore) can become a major hassle....especially if you have to sit around the ship half the port day until the purser is able to return the document (which you will generally have to return to the purser that same evening.

Hank

Hank, I understand you clearly, but like Hlitner, continue to disagree.  I'm not going to repeat all the talking points, but I want to ask you this: what is so scary about carrying your passport?  You most likely carry the ship's pass-card, your driver's license, credit cards and cash.  What is so special and frightening about having the passport with you, particularly given that it is essential in case of an emergency?

You indicated that you've been electing not to carry it for 50 years.  But in that time, you were fortunate enough to not have had an emergency.  (Your logic is like this: I once mentioned to a friend that recent studies indicated that eating a certain food increases the risk of a heart attack.  He replied: "My grandfather ate two eggs every day and didn't have a heart attack."  I answered, "You just proved that you don't understand statistics.")

You also cited a case in which a person soaked his passport, rendering it useless.  How many people do that?  Besides that, any other paper document on that person would have also been turned to mush.  That is very much the exception and doesn't outweigh the benefit of having the all-important passport with you.

Peace, brother.  I'm not being obnoxious.  I simply cannot agree.

16 minutes ago, Jack Puglis said:

Hank, I understand you clearly, but like Hlitner, continue to disagree.  I'm not going to repeat all the talking points, but I want to ask you this: what is so scary about carrying your passport?  You most likely carry the ship's pass-card, your driver's license, credit cards and cash.  What is so special and frightening about having the passport with you, particularly given that it is essential in case of an emergency?

You indicated that you've been electing not to carry it for 50 years.  But in that time, you were fortunate enough to not have had an emergency.  (Your logic is like this: I once mentioned to a friend that recent studies indicated that eating a certain food increases the risk of a heart attack.  He replied: "My grandfather ate two eggs every day and didn't have a heart attack."  I answered, "You just proved that you don't understand statistics.")

You also cited a case in which a person soaked his passport, rendering it useless.  How many people do that?  Besides that, any other paper document on that person would have also been turned to mush.  That is very much the exception and doesn't outweigh the benefit of having the all-important passport with you.

Peace, brother.  I'm not being obnoxious.  I simply cannot agree.

Actually we had a very serious emergency, just last year, in Vietnam.  But, we were able to return to the ship (I did not want DW in a Vietnamize Hospital) which is a story unto itself.  I would quickly agree that this is a topic upon which frequent travelers can disagree.  Not sure there is a right or wrong.  I honestly see pros and cons to both arguments.   I will tell you that based on more then 100 cruises (far more then 1000 days on ships) we do know of several cases where folks lost (or had stolen) their Passports when ashore  (a real mess for those folks).  I also know of one couple that had an auto accident (in Spain) and did not return to the ship.  One of them was admitted to a local hospital, they contacted the ship, and all their belongings (including Passports) were packed and sent over to the hospital.  

And it is true that on quite a few of our cruises around various parts of the world, we had to turn-in our Passports to the Purser at embarkation and did not get them returned until near the end of the cruise (and some of these were very long cruises).

I do carry our Passports when it is reasonably necessary.  Sometimes I will need my Passport to rent a car and if we are doing something very adventurous where we might go (on our own) a long distance from the port (sometimes over 100 miles).  In those cases where there is substantial risk that we will miss the ship we do want our Passports.   For me, it is a common sense kind of thing.   When we are in the appropriate places, DW and I will often be at a beach, snorkeling or even diving (don't do much of that anymore).  When I ask folks who like to carry their Passports what they do when they are at a beach and in the water I get interesting answers..  I should add that it is the same when we take lengthy driving trips in Europe (sometimes for more then a month).  If we are day tripping and returning to the same hotel, we will usually lock our Passports in the hotel's main safe (near the front desk) along with other valuables.  As to credit cards, ATM cards (the way we get all of our cash overseas), and other valuables we only carry what we need for that day.  I will normally carry 1 or 2 major credit cards and lock the others in a safe.  Essentially we plan that if everything on our person is stolen (or lost) we have sufficient back-up at the hotel (or ship) to continue on with our trip with minimal disruption.  Perhaps this comes from a lifetime of very independent travel where we have to depend on our own "travel sense" rather then a tour guide (we take very few excursions).  

And finally I will answer your specific question about what is "so special and frightening" about carrying a Passport.  Because I know what a major problem it would be if the Passports were somehow lost or stolen!  If this happens to a credit card the procedure is quite simple and only takes a few minutes.  If cash is stolen you just cry...and get more cash.  But when a Passport disappears the ramifications can be very nasty.  In some cases it means staying in place (or making your way to the nearest consulate) for several days.  Consider a cruise ship passenger who loses their Passport while in Le Havre France....on a Friday.  They notice it is gone late Friday afternoon!  The nearest US Counsel is in Paris...nearly 2 1/2 hours distant...but that office will not be open until Monday.  It will likely be Monday afternoon or Tuesday before they can get an emergency replacement.  And that is assuming it is not a 3  day holiday weekend!   The situation can be much worse in other parts of the world.  

Hank

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Actually we had a very serious emergency, just last year, in Vietnam.  But, we were able to return to the ship (I did not want DW in a Vietnamize Hospital) which is a story unto itself.  I would quickly agree that this is a topic upon which frequent travelers can disagree.  Not sure there is a right or wrong.  I honestly see pros and cons to both arguments.   I will tell you that based on more then 100 cruises (far more then 1000 days on ships) we do know of several cases where folks lost (or had stolen) their Passports when ashore  (a real mess for those folks).  I also know of one couple that had an auto accident (in Spain) and did not return to the ship.  One of them was admitted to a local hospital, they contacted the ship, and all their belongings (including Passports) were packed and sent over to the hospital.  

And it is true that on quite a few of our cruises around various parts of the world, we had to turn-in our Passports to the Purser at embarkation and did not get them returned until near the end of the cruise (and some of these were very long cruises).

I do carry our Passports when it is reasonably necessary.  Sometimes I will need my Passport to rent a car and if we are doing something very adventurous where we might go (on our own) a long distance from the port (sometimes over 100 miles).  In those cases where there is substantial risk that we will miss the ship we do want our Passports.   For me, it is a common sense kind of thing.   When we are in the appropriate places, DW and I will often be at a beach, snorkeling or even diving (don't do much of that anymore).  When I ask folks who like to carry their Passports what they do when they are at a beach and in the water I get interesting answers..  I should add that it is the same when we take lengthy driving trips in Europe (sometimes for more then a month).  If we are day tripping and returning to the same hotel, we will usually lock our Passports in the hotel's main safe (near the front desk) along with other valuables.  As to credit cards, ATM cards (the way we get all of our cash overseas), and other valuables we only carry what we need for that day.  I will normally carry 1 or 2 major credit cards and lock the others in a safe.  Essentially we plan that if everything on our person is stolen (or lost) we have sufficient back-up at the hotel (or ship) to continue on with our trip with minimal disruption.  Perhaps this comes from a lifetime of very independent travel where we have to depend on our own "travel sense" rather then a tour guide (we take very few excursions).  

And finally I will answer your specific question about what is "so special and frightening" about carrying a Passport.  Because I know what a major problem it would be if the Passports were somehow lost or stolen!  If this happens to a credit card the procedure is quite simple and only takes a few minutes.  If cash is stolen you just cry...and get more cash.  But when a Passport disappears the ramifications can be very nasty.  In some cases it means staying in place (or making your way to the nearest consulate) for several days.  Consider a cruise ship passenger who loses their Passport while in Le Havre France....on a Friday.  They notice it is gone late Friday afternoon!  The nearest US Counsel is in Paris...nearly 2 1/2 hours distant...but that office will not be open until Monday.  It will likely be Monday afternoon or Tuesday before they can get an emergency replacement.  And that is assuming it is not a 3  day holiday weekend!   The situation can be much worse in other parts of the world.  

Hank

Thanks for your great answer, Hank.  May common sense prevail!

I'm sensing that part of the confusion on this thread comes from the fact that there are two related issues that people are discussing at once.

1) Is it REQUIRED to take a passport when leaving the ship?  The answer is, in most cases, no, but there are exceptions.

2) Is is ADVISABLE to take a passport when leaving the ship?  This is a matter of individual preference.

The preponderance of advice is to keep the passport locked up in your room on the ship.  I disagree with this because of the possibility of an emergency (medical, accident, other unforeseen event) that causes one to miss the ship's departure.  Yes, a paper copy of your passport will help you at a U.S. consulate, but they are often far between.

With a passport in hand, one can travel as expeditiously as possible.  I view the likelihood of losing a passport while on a shore excursion as no greater than the likelihood of losing a wallet or purse.  That's just my opinion and others are certainly entitled to decide differently for themselves.

As a side note, Hank (Hlitner) two posts above wrote an excellent summary that I recommend reading.  Thanks again for that, Hank.

13 minutes ago, Jack Puglis said:

I'm sensing that part of the confusion on this thread comes from the fact that there are two related issues that people are discussing at once.

If there's so much confusion on this thread why is it that the thread had been totally inactive since 2015 prior to your posting on it and except for the three posts made in 2015 had been inactive since 2011?

Not that there's anything wrong with discussing the topic, but there have been dozens of threads discussing it since 2015 and I'm not sure I understand the reason why you want to reopen an 8 year old thread when you  could either start a new one or reopen one that is substantially more recent.

The poster, whose post you quoted to start your conversation hasn't even signed in to Cruise Critic since  June, 2013 so I doubt you're going to get a response from him/her thanking you for your agreement with the post.

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If there's so much confusion on this thread why is it that the thread had been totally inactive since 2015 prior to your posting on it and except for the three posts made in 2015 had been inactive since 2011?

Not that there's anything wrong with discussing the topic, but there have been dozens of threads discussing it since 2015 and I'm not sure I understand the reason why you want to reopen an 8 year old thread when you  could either start a new one or reopen one that is substantially more recent.

The poster, whose post you quoted to start your conversation hasn't even signed in to Cruise Critic since  June, 2013 so I doubt you're going to get a response from him/her thanking you for your agreement with the post.

The better question is, "Why not?"  LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, Hlitner said:

That is why I carry them  in a dry bag type container.

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

When necessary to carry my passport on my person, I use a silk passport wallet (worn cross body inside my shirt).

We do the same.  But I truly hate carrying the darn thing so we only do it when necessary.

Hank

On 4/1/2019 at 4:08 PM, Jack Puglis said:

what is so scary about carrying your passport?  

I find nothing at all scary about carrying my passport, but I don't like carrying things with me that I don't have to carry so unless I actually need the passport (local law, taking an excursion that require it, etc.) then it stays in the safe. As Hlitner said there is no right or wrong answer, we each need to do what we are comfortable doing and that makes the most sense from our own personal point of view.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I find nothing at all scary about carrying my passport, but I don't like carrying things with me that I don't have to carry so unless I actually need the passport (local law, taking an excursion that require it, etc.) then it stays in the safe. As Hlitner said there is no right or wrong answer, we each need to do what we are comfortable doing and that makes the most sense from our own personal point of view.

It is a personal decision, I agree.  If you read my comments above, my main point is to consider carefully whether you are comfortable not having your passport with you in the case of an emergency (medical problem, traffic accident, robbery/theft, etc.) that causes you to miss the ship's departure.  Personally, I won't be without my passport in a foreign port.