cell phone questions

donswife

We are going on the Oosterdam to Mexico over spring break with our teenagers. Can anyone tell me how it works with cell phones and texting on board? We would like our kids to be able to reach us, but don't want everyone else we (and they) know calling and texting all week long! Any other tips on staying in touch on board would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Karen

Even if you have international calling, and Cellular at Sea qualifies with your plans international plan, it will not not cover texting. You will be slammed with data charges that could cost you hundreds of dollars! We went to Toronto and thought we were covered. We weren't. It cost us, 2 adults over $300 and we text very little. Our cell provider told us to turn the phones off on the cruise. If the phones go on and your kids get text messages, you get charged the enhanced data rate for each one! Call your cell company before you go! It may save you a boat load of money!

We are going on the Oosterdam to Mexico over spring break with our teenagers. Can anyone tell me how it works with cell phones and texting on board? We would like our kids to be able to reach us, but don't want everyone else we (and they) know calling and texting all week long! Any other tips on staying in touch on board would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Karen

All the HAL ships are mobile cellular towers once they get offshore. They are managed by CellularAtSea and have roaming agreements with most major carriers. I use Tmobile and had no issue using my phone however it was expensive. Check with your carrier for roaming rates. Tmobile it is $5/min to make calls, but texting was $0.30 in and $0.40 out I think. Also make sure that you TURN OFF the data signal because most smart phones like iphones or android powered phones are constantly using data and you will get a huge bill.

your on vacation tell everyone to leave you alone until you get back, take the phone as a n emergency thing if you need to call someone.

Above advice is good. Save your money and enjoy your vacation. If there is an emergency, they can always contact you via the ships phone number. If you need to stay in touch, do as most crewmembers do and use phone cards while at ports of call, or use wifi and skype, while ashore.

Above advice is good. Save your money and enjoy your vacation. If there is an emergency, they can always contact you via the ships phone number. If you need to stay in touch, do as most crewmembers do and use phone cards while at ports of call, or use wifi and skype, while ashore.

According to my cell provider, they can add a text package for $20.00 per month that would still cost me $0.25 per text. They can also add a International calling plan that would reduce the calling fee to $1.00 per minute.

If I do nothing they said the calls can be us to $10.00 per minute and data is charged at $30.00 per mega byte.

My phone is capable of working internationally, but I am planning on leaving it on airplane mode while outside of Canada. This way I can use the other functions of my Cell phone, but not be charged for the additional fees.

Rod

I read your question a little differently, I think. Are you asking about keeping in touch with the two teens who will be onboard with you? My recommendation would be to lay out the ground rules about what is and is not allowed before you board. Then, while on board arrange specific times and meeting places so that you all know to meet up on a regular basis, with consequences if the kids are late or don't show up. Also, assign each person a different color pad of post-it notes which you can attach to the mirror in the stateroom, in the mail holder by the door or slip under the door.

Some people rely on walkie talkies but they can be tempermental depending on location and are definitely annoying to other pax.

I read your question a little differently, I think. Are you asking about keeping in touch with the two teens who will be onboard with you? My recommendation would be to lay out the ground rules about what is and is not allowed before you board. Then, while on board arrange specific times and meeting places so that you all know to meet up on a regular basis, with consequences if the kids are late or don't show up. Also, assign each person a different color pad of post-it notes which you can attach to the mirror in the stateroom, in the mail holder by the door or slip under the door.

Some people rely on walkie talkies but they can be tempermental depending on location and are definitely annoying to other pax.

You can also leave messages for each other on cabin phone answering machine.

Some newer cruise ships will rent you ship-only mobile phones. If you're in a top suite, they're sometimes included.

Thank you, I am starting to get a picture of what to expect. I think I had better give ATT a call and see if they have any traveler packages. We don't have iphones, or anything too fancy, but I am concerned about incoming calls and texts.

Does anyone know if the O has ship only phones for rent?

Some newer cruise ships will rent you ship-only mobile phones.

I haven't heard about this on any HAL ships we've been on, and I would think if any ship had it that it would be the latest, Nieuw Amsterdam.

To receive text is 5 cents - send is 50 cents. I think there is a limit to the number of words per text unit, don't recall.

$2.50 per minute for cell while on the ship.

And, if it is communicating with your teens, walkie talkies are a great idea. However, if they love HAL Kids as much as my teen did, you may never have to see them.;)

I've used ATT internationally several times and before I leave - each time I call ATT International for the latest update of their plans and ask them for help with the possible pitfalls. I talked to them in December before I left for International travel and they are great. Be sure to tell them what kind of phones you are using and what you want to do. There are horror stories of phone charges. I have found ATT to be very helpful but I also found that their plans do not match all other phone services so make that call. I actually have a phone on which I block internet access completely. I have noticed families with walkie talkies on board so that might be a possibility for communication on the ship with your kids. If they need to contact friends while gone - put them on a limited online account and warn to compose before they connect and use their time wisely! Good luck and have fun!

I haven't heard about this on any HAL ships we've been on, and I would think if any ship had it that it would be the latest, Nieuw Amsterdam.

I don't know if HAL has this, but some other lines that are somewhat more family oriented do. I believe Disney is one, and I know NCL does, as a member of our roll call on the NCL Gem who had the top Garden Villa was given a pair to use.

When you have your cell phones on be very careful-If you are within the range of the ships tower the rate is 4.99 per minute for voice. Most carriers have a text message rate of about 20 cents per minute. I used texting while in Hawaii and plan to use it in the Baltic. The one time I THOUGHT I was far enough away from the ship while in Mexico I still got caught by the ships tower and the rate was 4.99 a minute plus taxes-OUCH!! The best advice is to leave the phones off unless YOU need to contact someone.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you, I am starting to get a picture of what to expect. I think I had better give ATT a call and see if they have any traveler packages. We don't have iphones, or anything too fancy, but I am concerned about incoming calls and texts.

We had just upgraded one of our phones (we have ATT) and received an email with features and packages we could add. One of the deals had to do with a cruise ship package for $35 I think for a month. We were going to use this in May as I will be cruising with my son in Europe and want to keep my husband updated at home. It included a special rate for a limited number of texts and phone calls while aboard the ship. I was just going to text him once a day anyway. As far as incoming calls we turn our phones to airplane mode and only check message while in port. We were able to check email on a sidewalk in Guernsey outside a cell phone storefront. I think T-Mobile. And inside a Quick which is like a McDonalds. Onboard the ship to keep track of each other and our teenagers (we were in two rooms on our last cruise) we left post it notes on the doors.

Diane

Archived