How Formal is Formal night?

I am just curious how dressed up people are getting for Formal Night. We sail in 23 days and I am going through my clothes. The last cruise we were on seemed like people were not dressing up as much as in previous cruises. Wondering if it is maybe just that the Caribbean in not as dressy as say Alaska? I don't remember seeing a discussion on this topic, thought I would through it out there and see what peoplel are doing. Thanks

If you are like me, visual cues help- what I do is go to flickr.com and in the search put the name of the ship in quotes- people ALWAYS post pictures of their formal nights, and there are usually others in the background so you get a rounded picture- and its a great cue!:-)

I also do this for military balls, fancy restaurants, teas, etc. lol, its my personal cheat technique!

Since it is billed as "formal", not black or white tie....

Wear something dressy, in which you are comfortable. DH wears a suit and I take a pair of floaty slacks and a glittery top.

Actually, you will see everything from tuxedos and ball gowns to sports coats and cocktail dresses....and other outfits too.

For a guideline, think about what you would wear to a wedding or New Years' Eve.

Since it is billed as "formal", not black or white tie....

A formal dinner requires White Tie. It is only an informal occasion that Black Tie is appropriate.

Clearly anything less casual than formal would require a lounge suit.

WD

For 3 night cruises, I do a nice dress.

For 7 night cruises, I am in a formal and DH is in a tux. We always cruise the caribbean

You will see a hugh variety - from slacks, capri's, etc all the way to formals. As long as it isn't tasteless, then you are fine. For myself, it is the one time of the year I love dressing up and feeling awesome in a formal that looks fabulous on me. So it is fun for us.

You not need to wear a suit if your a guy, a dress shirt and nice pants is sufficient you will find many doing the same thing. I not even wear gowns/dresses any longer, black pants and a nice blouse....no need to carry that stuff to just wear for couple hours two nights during the week, again, we all entitled to our opinions... and again, I speaking to what I seen on the past three cruises on RC the past two and half years.

I wore a tux, DW wore a gown, 2 DS's wore black suits and ties. Most wear suits and ties and ladies dressed in dresses.

That being said. It will probably be the last time. Too much hassle. Based on the food in the MDR it is buffet all the way from now on!!!!

I think the Bahamas and the Caribbean are probably the most relaxed of all of the itineraries when it comes to formal gowns. But if you cruise to Europe you will see that people dress up much more over there, longer and more formal dresses and more men in tuxedos. I would assume that Alaska and South America are probably the same as Europe and longer cruises as well.

Thanks everyone. I thought I had posted a reply, don't see it listed. I do know what Formal means, just seems like it was getting dressed down on the last cruise we were on. I was just curious what thoughts others had on the topic. It is harder for DH to bring the suit along, but he does it. We saw guys without ties or jactets in the MDR last time around, kind of surprised us.

My answer to the question will always be the same.... My bride dresses beautifully and I wear a tux. For the life of me I could not tell you what anyone else wears because I can't take my eyes off the most beautiful woman on the ship....my wife.

For 3 night cruises, I do a nice dress.

For 7 night cruises, I am in a formal and DH is in a tux. We always cruise the caribbean

You will see a hugh variety - from slacks, capri's, etc all the way to formals. As long as it isn't tasteless, then you are fine. For myself, it is the one time of the year I love dressing up and feeling awesome in a formal that looks fabulous on me. So it is fun for us.

I agree, my hubby and I always do the formal thing on the first night, second night I wear a fancy cocktail dress.

Archived