Hairspray and flying question

sharod

On my previous cruise a took a large can of aerosol hairspray. Upon arriving in in Miami, I found that the whole can of hairspray had discharged in my cosmetics bag. The lid was off, I assumed that the lid popped off and the button had been pressed in sometime during the flight.

Now I wonder if it may have been the pressure in the plane that caused this. I am pretty sure that I have flown before with a can of hairspray and didn't have this issue.

So, do you gals take aerosol hairspray, or a pump bottle? Either way, this time it is going in a zip lock bag:D!

I've taken a large hairspray in a zip bag and did not have problems on any cruise so far. Hmmmm maybe just the way the baggage was handled? Also took spray deodorant and it was ok. Maybe just bad luck? I do think putting "stuff" in zip bags is a good idea. I also pack clothes by outfit in zip bags. I noticed that TSA will not "mess up" my packing as much when/if they inspect luggage. Remember to cross pack half of clothes in DH's bag incase suitcase is lost or delayed.

Good luck! and happy cruising.

I take aerosole, and put it in a zip-loc....everything liquid seems to leak, so I DON'T want it on all my stuff! (And, I bring a clean zip-loc for the trip home!) I've had shampoo to leak and nail polish remover..never hairspray!

Never flying, but I did have it happen with another aerosol can in the past, I think it was wrinkle remover. It ruined a pair of my husbands pants :mad:

Since then any aerosols are not only packed carefully, they go into their own ziploc baggie.

If you fly in the day before, you could also purchase hairspray before boarding your ship. I've also been seeing aerosol hairspray in smaller cans, a non-aerosol isn't an option for me and I'm sure others out there. The stuff is just too wet.

Bottles leak because the air in the container expands and pushes the cap off, aerosol cans are already pressurized, so the cap had to have come off and something shifted and caused the can to spray. If you can't squeeze the air out of a container (such as nail polish) it will always leak.

I love my pitotubes for liquids www.pitotubes.com and I also saw some for less money (different brand) on hsn http://home-solutions.hsn.com/mytagalongs-get-set-travel-bottles_p-6069460_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=6069460&sf=hw&dept=hw0063&ocm=HW|hw0063&prev=hp!sf!dept&ccm=HW|hw0063

For larger bottles that are easily refillable, these are wonderful: http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&pf_id=PAOHADJFFOAOHCHM

There are a few travel sized cans of aerosol hairsprays on this site, if you don't have a store close by: http://www.minimus.biz/Hair-Styling.aspx?gclid=CPv8o5mOuqcCFaRd7AodaR_wAg

Or...I know when I was a hairstylist I would get travel sized products for clients. You could always ask, I know many hairstylists vist to the trade stores frequently and they have (some) professional hairsprays now in travel sizes. I know because I do buy them for myself at times.

I selotape the lids down on everything....whether it be aerosol or plastic bottled toiletries.

Two 4-5" long lengths of selotape across the tops of each container stops the lids from popping open or off and the contents travelling where it is not wanted.

I use a heavyweight clear plastic toiletry bag with a proper metal zip to put everything in so that if the airport/port security want to check anything, they can do so without rifling through too much.

Not had any spillages as yet....on the way home there are no bottles etc as I only take enough to last the trip, so its not an issue.

On my previous cruise a took a large can of aerosol hairspray. Upon arriving in in Miami, I found that the whole can of hairspray had discharged in my cosmetics bag. The lid was off, I assumed that the lid popped off and the button had been pressed in sometime during the flight.

Now I wonder if it may have been the pressure in the plane that caused this. I am pretty sure that I have flown before with a can of hairspray and didn't have this issue.

So, do you gals take aerosol hairspray, or a pump bottle? Either way, this time it is going in a zip lock bag:D!

I carry a pump bottle hair-spray when flying.

I also have had bad results with aerosols and sprays when flying, not just hairspray. Sunscreen is another product that usually doesn't make it. So now I only use pumps & lotions, and everything goes in ziplock bags. We're driving to the ship for our next cruise though, so this time I can take what I want. Hurray!

I have had problems with both hairspray and sunscreen. I have found though, that it tends to be a problem with new containers. Try packing half full containers if you can. Also, as mentioned everything should be in a ziplock just in case!

Plastic ziploc bags are my favorite and best traveling tool. I always pack my toiletries and hairspray, etc. in ziploc bags and I also bring extra bags rolled up and rubber-banded together in various sizes. They have so many valuable uses I can't even begin to list them I use the jumbo sized ons for packing my clothes. My bathingsuits go in one, my undies in another and I put all my outfits together in separate ones. All I have to do when I want to get dressed is put out a baggy and everything I need is there in one bag. They are also very economical and green as they can be used over and over again. I've been using the same jumbo bags for over 6 years. The best part is that I know the baggage handlers don't need to touch my stuff as they can clearly see what's in them. I hope they get a big laugh out of my giant-sized, granny pantiys that I like to sleep in!:D

Archived