underwater digital camera

I bought a Canon D10 last year after A LOT of research both here on the boards and on other boards. I also did a search on google for pictures taken with the D10 and was amazed.

Here is one of my threads that have pictures taken while snorkeling with this camera:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282285

I also have to say that they take amazing pictures on land and ALSO AT NIGHT!! Here are some of my fireworks pictures from last year taken with it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25140530&postcount=14

Very nice pics...thanks for posting :)

You did not specify a price range. You did specify a housing you found for $25. You will NOT find a decent underwater camera in the same ballpark, or even the same universe as that. That being said, I don't think I would trust a $25 housing. What kind of camera would you be using with the housing? How much are you willing to spend for an underwater camera? What parameters must the camera or housing meet, are you a snorkeler or a diver, i.e. how deep do you want or need to be able to go?

I snorkel, not dive so I needed one that could go down to 25'-30'. I bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 8010, for our cruise last year, and got excellent results. It works quite well as a regular camera too, not just underwater. I will note two things about it that I felt could have been better designed. 1) it does NOT come with a battery charger. It comes with a charger cord, but you have to plug the entire camera in to charge/recharge the battery. It works fine, but is inconvenient when you want to be taking pictures. You can buy external chargers, but that is an additional expense. 2) I found the positioning of the record button for video to be inconvenient, right where my thumb wants to sit when I hold the camera with one hand, something one does frequently while underwater and you are using the other hand to hold position.

Here is a link to pictures I took with it. The first and last pictures in the album (on the boat and in Nassau) were with my Lumix camera, but all the excursion pictures on the catamaran and in the water were taken with the Olympus. Note: they are all natural light photos, I did not use the flash, even underwater. The camera does have 3 settings specifically for underwater photography.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13678200@N07/sets/72157624762572884/with/4911627814/

Go to OlympusAmerica dot com and check the series out. You are looking at $200 - $400 depending on the model and how deep you want it to go.

Anyone have experience using the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 with the deep water housing? I think its around $250 for the housing.

Thanks

Divemedic

Since I just use it for snorkling, I still use a disposable camera I choose one with good asa and have my pictures on DVD very satisfied with the result, no worry to loose it or have my good camera dammaged ;)

I think my next one will be the Canon D10... I've tried Pentax and Olympus and not had wonderful results... the Pentax leaked and the Olympus quality was only fair... not the fabulous colors I see from the Canon

I also have the Olympus 8010 and have been very happy with it. I used it last year to take snorkeling pictures in Hawaii with great results. I plan to use it again on our cruise to Bermuda and Bahamas in 9 days. In addition to great underwater shots it is also freezeproof, shockproof and crushproof. Go on their website for more information. It is worth the money.

Archived