Enough of Explorer

Is anyone else out there fed up with the Explorer being in New york area for what seems like forever? I've done so many cruises on that ship when I think of going again I want to vomit. Sure, they had it in for a little face lift but at this point it's like lipstick on a pig. Come on RCCL give us a little change huh. Anybody have an idea how long it,s been there?

I think it's a great ship for 7 day sailings to Bermuda, which is something CC members have been asking for (overnights at Bermuda).

I'm still holding out hope that they'll bring in another ship (Liberty?) to do Caribbean runs. I agree that Explorer needs to be replaced for these itineraries, even if it's just to change things up a bit for the repeat cruisers.

(You can always try the Princess ship from Brooklyn - we did it last year, and while not RCI, it was still wonderful, and 500pp less expensive than Explorer for the same week. Or, try Celebrity Silhouette, which is offering similar itineraries from NJ)

Our very first cruise was on the Explorer back in '99 ... we had a phenominal time, and it began our love of the cruising vacation.

We have not been back on the Explorer since then, and have heard anecdotally that it has aged ... well, can't say "gracefully", but it has aged. Regardless, we have fond recollections of our first cruise, and as such we're not gonna throw the old lady under the bus.

Michael and Silke

Is anyone else out there fed up with the Explorer being in New york area for what seems like forever? I've done so many cruises on that ship when I think of going again I want to vomit. Sure, they had it in for a little face lift but at this point it's like lipstick on a pig. Come on RCCL give us a little change huh. Anybody have an idea how long it,s been there?

WOW be careful what you wish for. Lots of ports have not lost ALL or most of their ships. At least you have one. Send her our way year round. We won't sit back and grumble.

Perhaps it needs a port lineup change.

Sheese......:rolleyes:

I would also like a different Ship from Royal Caribbean out of the NY/NJ area. We sailed her on Her Innaugral in Fla. and 5 times up in NJ. We are sailing Her again the end of this month as it is convenient for us and I don't fly. Its a long drive to Fla. and it makes it much easier on us. I think it would also be nice to see a change in the itineary in the Caribbean. I think the reason, I would like something different as I know before hand everything about Her. A change is good for everyone. Thats my opinion. I hope the rumor of another Ship coming to Cape Liberty will happen. IKE

Listen to yourself, have you lost your mind :mad:? You are complaining about "having" to sail on one of the most desired, largest ships at sea. Nobody is forcing you to sail strictly out of Jersey, nobody is forcing you to sail on Royal Caribbean, nobody is forcing you to sail period. Get a real problem to complain, you sound pathetic.

I do have to agree with the title of this thread, I am so sick and tired of hearing about Explorer, Explorer, Explorer and Cape Liberty. Be happy with what you have, as people in LA and Texas have learned, you don't know what you've got until its gone.

Be thankful you have the time and money and option to sail on a great ship and move on!

Guest maddycat

Your comments are really harsh. We love the Explorer and have sailed on her 4 times. We will be sailing on her again in April. The ship is very well maintained. The crew is exceptional.

However, we would also love a newer ship. We know the Explorer inside and out. There are no surprises. For a change, we are sailing on Celebrity's Silhouette in Nov. Having a Freedom class ship based at Cape Liberty year round would be wonderful.

I think it's a great ship for 7 day sailings to Bermuda, which is something CC members have been asking for (overnights at Bermuda).

I'm still holding out hope that they'll bring in another ship (Liberty?) to do Caribbean runs. I agree that Explorer needs to be replaced for these itineraries, even if it's just to change things up a bit for the repeat cruisers.

(You can always try the Princess ship from Brooklyn - we did it last year, and while not RCI, it was still wonderful, and 500pp less expensive than Explorer for the same week. Or, try Celebrity Silhouette, which is offering similar itineraries from NJ)

Judging from the leaked schedule on the Princess thread, Princess is cutting back with voyages only in September & October only to Canada/New England 7 or 10 Day :mad:

Judging from the leaked schedule on the Princess thread, Princess is cutting back with voyages only in September & October only to Canada/New England 7 or 10 Day :mad:

Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear that. We liked the 7 day Canada/NE, but loved the 9 day Caribbean on the CB! Princess no other Caribbean cruises during the summer, so I was hoping they would continue at least this one route, especially since it is oversold every single summer sailing.

For us Explorer is like "going home". Having said that, we're VERY READY for a new ship. Her facelift really did nothing and that was VERY disappointing. They installed a complete new system in Studio B, ummmm, okay, we need VISUAL. New fabrics, new glitz and some new pretty things! Maybe a new shop on the promenade? Replace the chairs in the MDr..things pax can see, focus on and continue to enjoy explorer.

I agree give us a change take the Explorer out of N.J. and put that rusty hulk in Boston!

12 and 14 niters to the Carribean in the winter and 7 nites to the Bermuda and Canada may thru October

That way I can just take a cab to it instead of driving all the way to Jersey

Oh no...I'm so sorry to hear that. We liked the 7 day Canada/NE, but loved the 9 day Caribbean on the CB! Princess no other Caribbean cruises during the summer, so I was hoping they would continue at least this one route, especially since it is oversold every single summer sailing.

The only cruises I saw were a 7 Day Canada/ New England on the CB, 10 Day to Quebec on the Emerald and a four day to Bermuda on the CB, and theres the Repo's as well

So I am sure you'll get tons of sympathy from everyone on the West coast - which has NO RCI option at all. I would love to have the Explorer (or any other RCI ship) available and not have to endure the emotional and financial pain of a flight.

This might come under the category of be careful what you ask for....

I am a Long Islander who is grateful to have the Explorer in my backyard. Been on three cruises on her, the last one in January was the best. Sure there are newer ships, but it is nice to have the no fly option available.

Our 9-nighter on Explorer in December confirmed what I have long suspected.......we are new ship snobs.

Will not make that mistake again...sailing out of a warmer port or waiting for a Freedom class ship to be deployed out of NJ!

Maybe Royal is listening - people want a new ship in Bayonne. However, while the Explorer is magnificent and is truly sailing full, it may not happen. Yes, we are lucky to have a ship here in home port, but how many times do you want to sail on the same ship? Any ship they put here will sail full - truly full - so...lets have something new.

Captain of EOS made a comment last May about there being issues in Bermuda where EOS is the largest ship that can currently fit into the port. I know this has been posted on CC before and speculated about ad nauseum.

I look at this differently: There's no way that the Liberty should be doing short cruises. Send the Liberty up to NY/NJ, which clearly has the market to more than support it, and then free up EOS to permanently home port somewhere else -- either doing the short cruises out of FtL that Liberty was doing or out of Galveston year round.

Just my $.02

Yes, we are lucky to have a ship here in home port, but how many times do you want to sail on the same ship?

You could say that for any home port! Do what the rest of us do, switch it up. We have to fly to some ports too, you know.

kind of harsh isn't it - I guess it must be nice to have too many cruises on her.

I'm happy we at least have Explorer up here - I'd love to sail her to Bermuda again (I like the 5 night easier to take time off for work than for a 7 day) maybe someday!

Would I like a different ship, sure but I'll take what we can get especially with airline prices going up!

:DGoing on Explorer for the first time in August and cant wait, it has cost us dearly from the UK but we wanted a change from Independence. Saying that I am looking to book Indy next year as it is so convienient not having to fly and the costing is more desirable. Even though we have done every port in Europe its still fantastic to be able to afford any cruise and have good health to do so.

You could say that for any home port! Do what the rest of us do, switch it up. We have to fly to some ports too, you know.

Believe me I have, and I will - This will be our 18/19th cruise - however, I still think Royal should listen to what clients are saying. Hard to sell something that someone has already been on 5 times.

:DGoing on Explorer for the first time in August and cant wait, it has cost us dearly from the UK but we wanted a change from Independence. Saying that I am looking to book Indy next year as it is so convienient not having to fly and the costing is more desirable. Even though we have done every port in Europe its still fantastic to be able to afford any cruise and have good health to do so.

I'm sure having a change of ship would be welcome, but if you are looking for a change from the Indy, you may be disappointed by Explorer. I love Explorer and have sailed at least 4 times on Explorer. The ease of getting on the ship after only a two hour drive and not spending the day driving to the airport, sitting and waiting, and then 2.5 hours flying makes it great to get on Explorer. However, last year, I flew to Florida and boarded the Indy for an 8-night cruise, and that ship is much nicer, newer, larger, and has more amenities (i.e., both Chops and Portofino, as well as Sorentos). If the Indy was in NJ, I would be thrilled!

But Explorer is still special to me. Our most recent cruise on Explorer was great - lots of fun, mostly good food (some disappointments), and the crew was top notch.

Have fun!

Archived