Silver Shadow Alaskan cruise transfer question

smoggyboy3

Hi, I would appreciate some help if possible. It will be our 1st Silversea Cruise in September from Vancouver to Seaward. Does Silversea lay on transfers from Seaward to Anchorage, if so any idea of the cost and the mode of transport. We are looking to book flights around about 3.00PM to fly back to Seattle and then onto Buffalo for a few nights at Niagara Falls (well as the wife says its on the way home - so is Hawaii if we go the other way:p) !! Any advice would be appreciated.

If your flights are not arranged through Silversea then no, they will not automaticaly arrange transportation from Seward to Anchorage.

That said, there area few options.

Normally, if you look at the tours/shore excursions offered for your voyage there will be one that offers an airport transfer with, or sometimes without a tour. We have generally found these to be overpriced.

The second option is to Google for motor coach service from Seward to Anchorage which operate on a regular basis since Seward is a major port for cruise vessels during the summer.

The third option is to rent a car in Seward and drive yourself to Anchorage. It's a really straight forward trip through some lovely country and you then have the opportunity to stop for lunch and see the scenery. The only caveat for this one is that you have to convince the ship to let you (and you baggage) off as

early as possible since it is a three hour drive. This will generally just require you to talk to the front desk ahead of time.

Hope this helps.

I'm booking all the flights myself from UK to Vancouver, Anchorage to Seattle, and using A.A. airmiles for free flights Seattle to Buffalo, Then Buffalo back to Manchester UK. I normally book cruises either direct or through an agent in Miami (usually cheaper than booking in UK), the only reason I've used a TA this time is because they offered a great discount. My booking confirmation shows a post cruise transfer from PIER to AIRPORT. I've phoned Silversea and been told that the train is included in my booking departing at 8.30am. HOWEVER He didn't sound too sure to me so that's the reason for the question, because I dont want to get caught out when its too late to do something about it ! SO - if anyone has taken this cruise and seen/used the transfer I would appreciate YOUR input. Regards and Best wishes.

On my port day in Seward back in the '90s, I chartered a Cessna 310 to pick me up in Seward, fly over Portage Glacier, have a lovely lunch at Denali National Park Lodge, then return to the ship and circle over our beautiful white ship. Great day.

However, when I made the reservation for the charter, I was informed that Seward makes its own weather, that 83% of the time they could not land on the tiny runway, so the status of the weather on my charter day would make or break this adventure. Another factoid I did not know was that there would be 15,000 fly fishermen in this small town for a fishing tournament.

For your purposes, I like the idea of the train. And one would hope that bus coaches routinely maneuver the roads in bad weather. Perhaps this information can help you find a transportation mode for the schedule that you hope to keep.

Ruby

• 2 weeks later...

To update - I've now had email confirmation from Silversea that the transfer from Seward to Anchorage is complimentary although they did not specify mode of transport. (Silver Shadow is the only cruise ship docking at Seward on that day).

The complimentary train transfer from pier in Seward will go directly to the airport. It departs Seward at 8:30 AM. My TA, however, advised not to book a departing flight before 4:30 PM. No where on my booking does it indicate the transfer ( very confusing). I had already booked a private transfer with Salomberry which I will cancel once I feel "totally" certain that the train transfer is part of the cruise. I am sure that most of the other passengers booked on Vancouver-Seward cruises are not aware of this. It was never communicated in the reservation.

Confusing to say the least, usually if there is something like this included in the price they have a tendancy to mention it ! As it happens the flight we will be using does not leave Anchorage until 9.15pm, so we have quite a lot of time to kill as i was told via phone (not confirmed in email) that the train should arrive at 12.30.

smoggyboy3,

I found the info regarding the pier to airport transfer on page 3 of my reservation- though the train was not mentioned.. I totally overlooked it. It is part of the package. My TA brought it to my attention. Usually you need to book Silversea air in order have the tranfer package included.

Archived