Changed route for Helsinki Tram 3 during summer 2011

Sorry to have to tell this but due to moving of the tracks near the market square there will be major changes in the Helsinki tram traffic during the period 6 June - 14 August 2011. Most important, tram 3B/3T will not do the complete "8".

I have been unable to find any map of the temporary routes on the net. I'll give a link as soon as I find a map.

Meanwhile, here is a map of the NORMAL ROUTES so you can follow my comments:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Helsinki_tram_map.png

At the bottom of the "8", tram 3B, instead of turing east will turn west and go along tram 1A route to the West Harbour entrance, make a 180 degree

turn there and go back the same way it came from.

Tram 3T will not do the southern part of the "8" either but will from the Senate Square continue east along tram 4T route past the Uspensky Cathedral to the Katajanokka peninsula, make a 180 degree turn there and go back the same way.

Instead a temporary tram #5, will circle the southern part of the "8" but only in the clockwise direction.

Trams 1A and 4T will not run this summer.

Thanks for the update. I am just getting back to the boards to see what's new and I must have missed this.

Tram 3T will head south to Etu-Toolo and then cut across to Katajanokka, turn around and head back to the starting point?

Tram 3B will also head south, going past Kluuvi Gloet, down and then end at the harbor (just to the north-west of Eira on the map) and then reverse direction?

So, in order to do the upper circle only, we should plan to switch at the points where the two routes cross?

Sorry if this sounds confusing

Sheal

Sheal

Thanks for the update. I am just getting back to the boards to see what's new and I must have missed this.

Tram 3T will head south to Etu-Toolo and then cut across to Katajanokka, turn around and head back to the starting point?

Tram 3B will also head south, going past Kluuvi Gloet, down and then end at the harbor (just to the north-west of Eira on the map) and then reverse direction?

So, in order to do the upper circle only, we should plan to switch at the points where the two routes cross?

Thats correct. Of course you don't need to switch tram unless you start off somewhere north and want to return to that point but must tourists would surely start off in downtown near the south end of the circle (main railway station). Just be sure you take the correct tram, 3B if planning to go eastwards or 3T if you plan to go westwards as there are 3Ts and 3bs going in both directions near the railway station.

Of course an option for the tourist is to take tram 3B from the West Harbour entrance (1A on the map) and do the full circle counterclockwise (9 - Kluuvi -Hakaniemi - Kallio - Alppila - Taka-Töölö - Etu-Töölö on the map) and then continue to the Senate Square/Market/Uspensky Catedral area. (1 on the map) without any need for changing tram. Note that tram will change number from 3B to 3T at the top of the circle.

Ok, so the trams will not reverse direction at the top of the route, only at 1A or Katajanokka? They will cross that magic line and change names, just as they always have, right?

Originally (months ago) my understanding was that when the trams crossed that point they just changed names 3T to 3B and vice versa. I thought that the new route meant that the same tram actually turned around at the top of the circle so I thought we would have to get off to continue down the other side back to Market Square. In other words, each tram did it's own route without changing name.

So, a tram that starts at 1A will go to Kluuvi, Alppila, Taka-Töö, Etu-Töölo out to Katajanokka, reverse direction and hours later end up back at 1A, right?

As long as we take a tram at Market Square that is headed north we should be able to do the circle just like before. Is this correct?

Kiitos,

Sheal

Ok, so the trams will not reverse direction at the top of the route, only at 1A or Katajanokka? They will cross that magic line and change names, just as they always have, right?

Yes, it is just a normal stop. Not even possible to turn a tram there.

So, a tram that starts at 1A will go to Kluuvi, Alppila, Taka-Töö, Etu-Töölo out to Katajanokka, reverse direction and hours later end up back at 1A, right?

Right

As long as we take a tram at Market Square that is headed north we should be able to do the circle just like before. Is this correct?

Correct

Would taking the tram from 1A to Market Square be faster than our original plan to take the bus?

No, as

1) the tram will pass the Senate Square (near market Square) only after having made the upper circle. Going "up" the tram will pass 0.35 miles from the Market Square.

(Of course you could get out of 3B in front of the railway station and change to 3T in the same direction to to reach the Senate Square but I rather recommend bus 16

The railway station is situated near the letter "G" in "Gloet" on the map)

2) Bus goes all the way out to the quays, the tram not.

3) Guess bus and tram will go at about same speed in downtown.

I'll stick with our original plan to use the bus and then catch the tram once we explore Market Square.

I hope the new schedule comes out soon as I forgot about getting over to Uspensky Cathedral. This new route would work, I just need to sit and figure out how much more time to get there and visit. Looks like my day is getting shorter and shorter.

Kiitos,

Sheal

• 4 weeks later...

We are planning to visit Helsinki on June 7, the day after the route change. I was using the HSL web site to plan the trips and downloaded the 3B/3T brochure to plan the circle tour http://www.hsl.fi/FI/matkustajanopas/Documents/3B_3T_esite_en_low.pdf

We planned to pick up the tram at Market Square (Kauppatori), go clockwise past Senate Square (Senaatintori), past the train station twice and get off at Erottaja (Stop # 28 on the brochure map), see the 3 Blacksmiths Statue (and shop for lunch at Stockmanns) before taking the #24 bus to Seurasaari.

Will this be possible or do we need to change plans?

Will this be possible or do we need to change plans?

I understand you mean you'll do the upper circle in clockwise direction? That should be all right, except for the fact the tram will not pass the Market Square anymore so you'll have to start from the Senate Square (#2 on the map)

The 3T/B tram will not use stops 33-37 and 1 on the map due to track repairs on streets between 1 and 2 on the map

I see that the route change is from 6 June until 14 Aug. Since we will be in Helsinki on 23 Aug, I assume the 3T and 3B will be as they were originally. Will Helsinki have their work completed by the 14, and if not, will there be some type of notice to that effect?

I see that the route change is from 6 June until 14 Aug. Since we will be in Helsinki on 23 Aug, I assume the 3T and 3B will be as they were originally. Will Helsinki have their work completed by the 14, and if not, will there be some type of notice to that effect?

Cannot give any guarantees. :( I'll try to keep you up to date about the events here on the forum.

I think I need a degree in urban planning to figure this all out :-)

If I want to see Senate Square, the Church in the Rock, the Sibelius Monument and Market Square -- how do I do it? For you skilled travel planners out there, your advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance>

I think I need a degree in urban planning to figure this all out :-)

If I want to see Senate Square, the Church in the Rock, the Sibelius Monument and Market Square -- how do I do it? For you skilled travel planners out there, your advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance>

Hope this answer helps rather than confuses.

Trip depends on many factors like what quay the ship will use etc.

The changed route for Helsinki Tram 3 will mostly not affect you unless you had planned to circle the full "8"

Assuming you arrive at the "normal quays" LHB or LHC then here is one suggestion:

Bus 16 from quay to to Market Square/Senate Square

Tram 3T from Senate Square to Rock Church.

Tram stop is on Alexander street half a block west of Senate Square.

Exit is at stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut" on Arkadia street. Walk back to last corner you passed and then uphill along Fredrik street.

From Rock Church to Sibelius Monument either

Back to the tram stop and take tram 3T to stop "Töölön halli" and walk about 700 yards to the monument

For details see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1177157

or

from Rock Church go down one block along Luther street and turn left to the bus stop on Runeberg street.

Take bus 14, 14b or 18 to stop "Töölön kirjasto" on Topelius street. Go to the left, slightly uphill, cross Mechelin street and into the park on the left (about 400 yards walk in total).

or

back to the tram stop and the further forward on Arkadia street past the Runeberg street crossing to the stop for bus 24. Go off at stop "Rajasaaren tie" and go back in direction you came from.

(about 200 yards walk). Note that bus 24 only goes twice an hour.

Take Bus 14B back to the quay.

To find the bus stop for soutwards going busses go back to stop "Töölön kirjasto" turn left and go northward one block to the next corner.

-------------

Or the other way round i.e

Bus 14B from quay to stop "Töölön kirjasto". Walk 400 yard to Sibelius Monument.

Back to the bus stop mentioned above for southwards going busses 14, 14B or 18 to Rock Church (Stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut")

Tram 3T eastwards from south side of Arkadia street to Senate Square (stop "Senaatintori")

Bus 16 westwards from Northern Esplanade back to the quay.

--------------

Some Google maps pictures (try several times to reload in case you have trouble with Google maps):

Tram stop at Alexander street. Senate Square in background to left, Market Square one street to the right

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=60.169007,24.950095&spn=0.009532,0.033023&z=16&layer=c&cbll=60.168989,24.949679&panoid=WTefFq0G4hNA-h0nu56X8Q&cbp=12,64.78,,0,6.84

Corner Arkadia street/ Fredrik street (tram stop left street in background near the trees, Rock church right street in background, top of hill)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.171234,24.927419&panoid=giVOGLIL3WFqOWB62owjEg&cbp=12,304.78,,0,-1.46&ll=60.171254,24.927174&spn=0.004734,0.016512&z=17

Opposite (NW) corner of the same block, corner Luther street, Runeberg street. Rock church in left background behind the busses, bus stop (14, 14B, 18) to the right behind the black Saab

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.172327,24.923524&panoid=1I-HuWbCAAD5G9_6dQiknQ&cbp=12,110.85,,0,-1.29&ll=60.172326,24.923526&spn=0.004733,0.016512&z=17

Yet another picture, now from the SE corner of the block. Bus 24 stops where you see the red truck to the left, bus stop (14, 14B, 18) is in background to the right. If you pan the picture to the right

yo'll see the 3T tram stop.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.171323,24.924391&panoid=krW7cJ_Q-i0SiE_CynV0TQ&cbp=12,319.14,,0,3.98&ll=60.171347,24.924529&spn=0.002367,0.008256&z=18

View from bus stop "Töölön kirjasto" Take the crossing road in background to the left to reach the Sibelius monument.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.183409,24.918483&panoid=K1oIZZKymG36WGK6Kbg0xw&cbp=12,302.89,,0,-2.69&ll=60.183584,24.918333&spn=0.004732,0.016512&z=17

The stop for buses for the return to rock church or quay

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.184912,24.916901&panoid=9XYzhCJIv7XlUy4jXaea8A&cbp=12,195.35,,0,-1.23&ll=60.184102,24.91843&spn=0.00471,0.016512&z=17

Hi, Ultima Thule, we are arriving at Helsinki on Jun 12, 2011 on the Emerald Princess and I just noticed it is the Helsinki day (I read somewhere on the internet) that day, so, do you know if there will be some road closure for the celebration activities and will the Rock church still be open on that day? Thanks!

Hi, Ultima Thule, we are arriving at Helsinki on Jun 12, 2011 on the Emerald Princess and I just noticed it is the Helsinki day (I read somewhere on the internet) that day, so, do you know if there will be some road closure for the celebration activities and will the Rock church still be open on that day? Thanks!

http://www.helsinkiviikko.fi/EN/helsinki-week/events-helsinki-week/helsinki-day.html

There is a samba parade but its on Saturday. 11th.

But Jun 12th is also Whitsunday this year, so shops will be closed. :(

I could have sworn that I read somewhere in my research that the rock church is currently closed; however, now I can find no mention of it. We will be in Helsinki May 26. Could you please let me know if I was just dreaming this? Thanks!

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/In_English/Visitor/See/Main_attractions.iw3?showmodul=162&Matko_pid=227

How shall we get to the Sommelina Fortress Ferry from the cruise pier or Market Square?

The ferry starts at east end of the Market Square. Take either a shuttle bus from cruise pier to downtown and then walk along Esplanade Park to the Market Square or take local bus 16 straight to Market Square (assuming your ships are at Hernesaari , quay LHB or LHC). Bus stop name is "Kauppatori"

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=140%3A1%3A1016++%3A20110322%3A&keya=Kalevankatu&line=&a=11429&aa=&an=15&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551547&py=6671578&ppx=2552164&ppy=6673186&zx=2551547&zy=6671578&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=450&y=100&width=600&height=400&nc=1

Archived