Jewel - Solarium retractable roof

I would agree, we have sailed on most of the Radiance class ships and I can't say I ever remember the roof being retracted, personally i like it, they usually aircondition that area so that on very hot days it is nice and cool in there. It is truly my favorite place on the ship, you can here the band playing out in the main pool area, but it is not too loud and you can relax on a lounger and read or even have a nap :D

Enjoy your cruise

Brian J

Have read some threads and a lot say that the roof is never retracted in the Solarium? is this correct?

The roof in the Solarium is not retractable.

I would agree, we have sailed on most of the Radiance class ships and I can't say I ever remember the roof being retracted, personally i like it, they usually aircondition that area so that on very hot days it is nice and cool in there. It is truly my favorite place on the ship, you can here the band playing out in the main pool area, but it is not too loud and you can relax on a lounger and read or even have a nap :D

Enjoy your cruise

Brian J

the roof in the solarium on the Radiance class ships IS retractable though I have only seen it open once.

Have read some threads and a lot say that the roof is never retracted in the Solarium? is this correct?

It most certainly is. However, I have never been on a Radiance class ship when it was been opened. Maybe they don't want to use the energy to re-air condition the space after an opening. Whatever the reason, I was glad it was kept closed in the southern Caribbean. It was a nice retreat from the heat down there.

That's the one biggest "con" of the Radiance class ships, IMO....you cannot tan under that roof! So, adults really don't have their own place "in the sun"....you have to do your sunning out by the main pool, or points above.

Yes..it IS retractable, but rarely opened!

I think I've seen the roof opened one time ever on a Radiance-class. For some reason it seems to happen more often on Vision-class.

Along with the roof, they never seem to want to run the bubble thing on the bottom (Vision-class), etc. unless you see the pool officer and bug them.

Still, on non-Caribbean cruises its great to have that glass roof. Wish they would have them on Voyager and bigger. I think the original thinking for the open Solarium is that these ships would always stay in the Caribbean, Ha, Ha!

Personally, I have never seen the roofs retracted. I know they can, but have never seen it done.

Having burned while in the Enchantment Solarium, you most certainly can tan or burn in the Solarium. Glass does not block UV rays.

It is retractable, but it is rarely opened. The solarium is climate controlled so that the temperatures and the humidity are maintained at a comfortable level. We have been on a Vision class ship when they opened the roof and it quickly became uncomfortably hot and humid.:)

It is retractable, but it is rarely opened. The solarium is climate controlled so that the temperatures and the humidity are maintained at a comfortable level. We have been on a Vision class ship when they opened the roof and it quickly became uncomfortably hot and humid.:)

But I'll bet you got a great TAN !!!!!!

But I'll bet you got a great TAN !!!!!!

Sorry, I have to avoid exposure to the sun as much as possible as my pale Irish skin burns rather than tans. I've had too many instances of skin cancers to take chances. I have a problem believing that the glass in the solarium roof somehow filters out the UV rays anyway so I still am careful to use a high SPF sunscreen even there. :)

Sorry, I have to avoid exposure to the sun as much as possible as my pale Irish skin burns rather than tans. I've had too many instances of skin cancers to take chances. I have a problem believing that the glass in the solarium roof somehow filters out the UV rays anyway so I still am careful to use a high SPF sunscreen even there. :)

I'm sure you know that my comment was "tongue in cheek", but your take on sun exposure is, of course, spot on. I follow the same regime, but if others want to take that risk for a "tan", I guess it is their lfe, literally!

Personally, I have never seen the roofs retracted. I know they can, but have never seen it done.

Having burned while in the Enchantment Solarium, you most certainly can tan or burn in the Solarium. Glass does not block UV rays.

Well... actually... most glass absorbs the short wavelength UV (UV-C 190 - 280 nm and UV-B 280 - 320 nm), but transmits the longer UV-A (320 - 400 nm) radiation.The UV-B is the erythemal region that causes sunburn and skin cancer, but the UV-A can also cause sunburn and tanning. :D

I'm sure you know that my comment was "tongue in cheek", but your take on sun exposure is, of course, spot on. I follow the same regime, but if others want to take that risk for a "tan", I guess it is their lfe, literally!

I am with you all the way even with my italian skin that would tan pretty well if I would give it a chance. But we all know that there are (is) some (one) around here who measures the quality of a cruise by the tan that results from it.

Well... actually... most glass absorbs the short wavelength UV (UV-C 190 - 280 nm and UV-B 280 - 320 nm), but transmits the longer UV-A (320 - 400 nm) radiation.The UV-B is the erythemal region that causes sunburn and skin cancer, but the UV-A can also cause sunburn and tanning. :D

Yea, whatever you said. The UV-make-my-skin-red made it through. ;)

Archived