Best things to do in Key West?!

SamLH07

Need some advice on what to do here! Not into bars, dolphin swims, or snorkeling. I have heard from a few people to rent a moped and explore the town. I didn't know if there are any cool tours to do? Suggestions would be great!

Need some advice on what to do here! Not into bars, dolphin swims, or snorkeling. I have heard from a few people to rent a moped and explore the town. I didn't know if there are any cool tours to do? Suggestions would be great!

There are a few nice walking and bicycling tours on Sharon Well's web page...

http://www.seekeywest.com/index2.htm

IMO if you tour on a moped you'll see a sight and not that car.

Pjk

I've been there once, so best is something I can't comment on, we did take the trolley tour, getting off and on whenever something caught our eye. We did enjoy the Hemmingway house and our lunch at the nearby Blackfin Bistro. (Great hamburger)

• 2 weeks later...
There are a few nice walking and bicycling tours on Sharon Well's web page...

http://www.seekeywest.com/index2.htm

IMO if you tour on a moped you'll see a sight and not that car.

Pjk

I'm sitting here dreaming about next year's cruise but in a leg cast because someone didn't see me on my Vespa. They're fun, but no matter how observant and careful you might be, the lost person looking around for somewhere to turn around doesn't see you and the next thing you know you're on the pavement. Fortunately this happened near home. Can't imagine on vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

Walk to the Southernmost Point (it's a bit of a walk, but you'll have time). Sto pin at the Hemmingway House for a quick tour. Eat lunch at Blue Heaven with the chickens. Wander the awesome Cemetery in the center of the Island and check out the fun headstones ("Itold You I was Sick" among many others). Find a place with some live music and relax with some fried oysters. Wander around the Marina when the boats are coming in and check out the fresh catches. Have dinner at one of the many, many delicious restaurants in town and don't forget to check out the Sunset Celebration at mallory Square. Not a TON of fun, but worth seeing once. Plenty of shopping and some nice museums as well. No real beaches to hang at. They have a few, but if you're on a cruise, I'm sure you'll see more places with better beaches. This place is more for walking around, eating, exploring and taking in the "colorful" locals.

• 1 month later...

We rented bicycles when we were last in Key West. We had a great time. We were able to get around and see everything but had better speed and mobility than walking.

We did the walking tour of Hemingway House, the cemetary, Sothern most point, etc. We ride bikes a lot at home so I was much more comfortable on a bike than a motor scooter.

I would add the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum and the Butterfly Conservatory as places of interest. You might consider a day sail or sunset sail on one of the schooners Jolly2Rover, Western Union and Adirondack II, that I can think of offhand.

I have enjoyed climbing the winding stairs of the Key West lighthouse and touring the cozy keeper's cottage.

If you walk along the Schooner Wharf area, take a look at the various colored flags flying from charter fishing boats. The fish design on each flag shows what fish were caught on the boat's last fishing trip.

Or check out the free Eco-Science Discovery museum. It is closed Sundays and Mondays though. I enjoy the book shop they have also. Or tour the two Coast Guard cutters nearby. This is the one thing I haven't done yet of my suggestions, but I plan to do it the next time I am in Key West.

Key West also has some of the best snorkeling around.

Where have you snorkled? I've been reading that it's not the best. I would love to know where to go for good snorkling. We'll be on the Carnival Fascination the first week of Aug. Any tour company that you would recommend? Thanks for any info.:D

Where have you snorkled? I've been reading that it's not the best. I would love to know where to go for good snorkling. We'll be on the Carnival Fascination the first week of Aug. Any tour company that you would recommend? Thanks for any info.:D

I've been going out with Sebago, as I like catamarans and the beer/wine on the way back. If those don't matter, I believe that Sunny Days makes two stops for snorkeling, so you get a little more variety.

The reef in KW has had more destruction due to lots of visitors, but it is also quite extensive and you can explore among the channels. There are usually lots of fish and many different types.

The reef in KW also seems to me to have more variability in conditions than the Caribbean---that is, more subject to winds and therefore less visibility. I've heard that the visibility is often great in the summer, and the one time I was there then, that was the case. If the winds are low, I would highly recommend doing a snorkeling trip.

The trip out to the reef (~6 miles offshore) is beautiful in and of itself.

They have been getting a tremendous amount of press lately... I will stick to kayaking and other closer-to-the-water activities!

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

I've been going out with Sebago, as I like catamarans and the beer/wine on the way back. If those don't matter, I believe that Sunny Days makes two stops for snorkeling, so you get a little more variety.

The reef in KW has had more destruction due to lots of visitors, but it is also quite extensive and you can explore among the channels. There are usually lots of fish and many different types.

The reef in KW also seems to me to have more variability in conditions than the Caribbean---that is, more subject to winds and therefore less visibility. I've heard that the visibility is often great in the summer, and the one time I was there then, that was the case. If the winds are low, I would highly recommend doing a snorkeling trip.

The trip out to the reef (~6 miles offshore) is beautiful in and of itself.

Sunny Days, sadly, has sold out to Fury. (Sunset Watersports is still there) The funny thing is that Fury now lists this two-stop snorkeling trip as being on their new boat, the Reef Express. Fury's new boat is Sunny Day's old boat, the Reef Express.

Pjk

Sunny Days, sadly, has sold out to Fury. (Sunset Watersports is still there) The funny thing is that Fury now lists this two-stop snorkeling trip as being on their new boat, the Reef Express. Fury's new boat is Sunny Day's old boat, the Reef Express.

Pjk

The end of another KW business is definitely sad. We had some great times going out on the Sunny Days boats.

Don't know if this is still offered but we really enjoyed "Taste of Key West" a few years ago. Walking tour with stops at several special places for drinks and tastes of the foods of Key West.

• 1 month later...

Let me expand since someone posted "HoHo" on 3 threads without any explanation. There are 2 Hop on, Hop off trollies (not bus) that tour Key West and allow you to tour certain spots and catch the next trolly that comes along. They are Old Town Trollies and City View Trollies. My recommendation of the 2 is City View.

Archived