Question on how ES works for upgrades/OBC

kittychick78

Ok, I booked a cruise on Glory for next January (booked last month as ES) and am reading all kinds of things about OBC etc...and I 'get' that part of it--that if the price of my category cabin drops between now and then (I booked a balcony 8A) that I can fill out the online form to apply for OBC-since we paid in full when booking.

Now, here's my 2 questions:

1) Even though I am not a senior (nor is my travel friend), and neither of us are past guests, if the rate drops for that category with those selections can we still apply? and

2) how do UPGRADES work? And do they count, even if the price isn't better? For example--when I look at the faresaver that I found from this site, if I select my exact type of cabin 8A, but as a past guest, the rate has actually increased from what we paid--however, there are some categories that show an 'upgrade' from one category to the other. If I see this on my category--does that mean I can apply for it-even if it only appears under the 'over 55' or 'past guest' fares? And even if it's not under those special categories, can I apply for upgrades if I find them, even if I don't see price improvements?

Thanks for help on this...this whole ES/OBC/upgrade thingy is a bit confusing to someone new...

:)

Sorry on both. Look for discounts for your state for instance or some sales that you dont need to be a past guest. There are rates you do qualify for.

You cant take part of a rate. If its a more expensive rate, with a so called fake free upgrade, you cant take the upgrade unless you also pay the difference.

I believe you can only apply for the discounts you qualify for-if you're not a senior, you don't qualify for a senior discount. If you're not a past guest, you can't apply for that either. But do watch your rate daily cause if your cabin falls below what you paid, you can apply for ES.

pat

Each time you check the rates, check ALL that you qualify for. For instance, on our upcoming cruise, the resident rate for our 4K cabin is more than the past guest rate because the past guest rate is for a 4A with free upgrade to a 4K. We've done particularly well this time with $490 OBC so far for a lowly interior cabin! We paid $844 pp and now it's down to $599 for an 8 day.

Keep a close watch as your cruise date nears, if there are many cabins left in your category with less than a month till sail time, the price will likely fall

Archived