what motion sickness meds for kids?

reallyexcited

My ped told me to use dramamine for my DS, 4, and he gave me the correct dose for a child my son's age and size. On our recent cruise, my son did not get seasick and did not need any medication, but I was glad to have it just in case.

I, on the other hand, am very prone to motion sickness. I brought Bonine. In addition, I got a prescription for scopolamine pills (Scopace) from my doctor. The last day of our cruise was rough, and the Bonine wasn't doing the job, so I switched to the scopolamine and felt better as soon as it kicked in. If you are prone to motion sickness, go prepared with several options. Some people use non-drug remedies like sea bands and ginger. It can't hurt to explore those, but for me, meds are the way to go.

My son's doctor also recommended chewable Dramamine for him. However, I heard that minty ginger (herbal supplement, alcohol free) works very well with kids. So I plan to buy the minty ginger for my son.

Dramamine is fine, but it may cause drowsiness. Besides, my son (only 4 years old) has asthma. He already takes asthma medicine daily. So I just don't want to give him additional medicine during the cruise if I can find another alternative.

i asked the Dr yesterday ( was there for a well check) and she said benydryl or dramamine.

Do i get dramamine, bonine, something else?

what about for adults??

If you asked your doctor, why are you asking here? Do you think one of us is more qualified than your doctor?

The 2 year old will not likely have a problem....Wobbly kids seldom do! They're used to being unstable, and the motion can actually be soothing.

Although I completely get what you're saying, this made me laugh a little bit. My kids have not experienced motion sickness, yet. I'm buying bands and an OTC med for the trip just in case though.

Could you please let me know what ship is this? It looks beautiful.

The one in the front is a Grand class (Caribbean Princess perhaps) Princess ship. The one in the back with the red funnel is a Carnival ship.

DF - Considering you were on that cruise, you should know which ships are in the photograph.

The one in front is the Caribbean Princess. The one in back is the Carnival Destiny. The two ships were docked in Grand Turk.

That said, if you like the ship that much, here is another picture (from San Juan) ...

D11-A.jpg

My daughter (age 14 now) gets motion sickness easily. On our first cruise with her, she got motion sickness the last night. I tried giving her Dramamine and it made her throw up. I think you have to take it prior to full on symptoms. Last year I bought her the bands and she thankfully never needed more than that. I always bring a kit with a variety of OTC remedies since I have 4 kids. You never know what might crop up lol...

MY DD age 5 got a bit queasy on our last cruise so I went in search for chewable Bonine for her and after 3 pharmacies gave up. The pharmacist is going to special order it for me. So if you have diffculty finding it just ask your pharmacist to order it.

I always bring a kit with a variety of OTC remedies since I have 4 kids. You never know what might crop up lol...

I have one of these too. It has everything you can imagine in it. It stays packed and when it's time for a trip, I pull it out, replace what has expired or is almost empty, add anything new that I've started using, and we're ready to go. I don't even go on an overnight without it...has come in handy so many times.

i have a bag with children's tylonol and motrin and infants tylonol and motrin..adult tylonol, a small first aid kit, pepto,.

any other suggestions on what to bring for the kids meds? ( ages 6,9,2)

I have not decided on the sea sickness meds yet..snowing here today so I'm not dragging the kids out :)

wanted to also say that the only think i keep in the house is the childrens/infants motrin and tylonol. I am not a big fan of giving meds and only give these when really necessary. thankfully ( knock on wood) my kids are extremely healthy and hardly ever need any meds :)

that's why i'm not really sure what else to pack

any other suggestions on what to bring for the kids meds? ( ages 6,9,2)

For my family, I also need to pack cough syrup. This is new for me. Last year, when my family was on an All Inclusive vacation. On the 2nd night, my husband started to cough, and so did my kids. We stayed on the 6th floor, ocean front room, so I wanted to leave the door open at night to enjoy the ocean breeze. However, my hubby and kids coughed so bad, and I had to close the door so we wouldn't ruin others' sleep.

So, this time, I'll pack the cough syrup, just in case there is "something in the air" again. :)

If you are unsure of the dosage for your children, tell the PHARMACIST what the doctor said and ask his advice for the dosage. Pharmacists are highly trained and educated. They know the dosages for adults, kids, etc.

I'm a pharmacist...

While they don't make a Children's Dramamine, they do make the chewable Dramamine Original Formula (dimenhydrinate)

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

To prevent or treat motion sickness, see below:

• adults and children 12 years and over 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 4-6 hours; not more than 8 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 6 to under 12 years ½ to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 2 to under 6 years ¼ to ½ chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 1-1/2 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor

They don't recommend Bonine or Less Drowsy Formula Dramamine (both contain meclizine) for kids.

Children's Bonine (cyclizine) is recommended for kids age 6 and above.

Another remedy for motion sickness is Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

[/url]

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

This is because Benadryl and Original Formula Dramamine (and all the other motion sickness medications) are in the same drug family. That is why they can cause drowsiness.

----------------------------------

When I plan on going on a week-long vacation on a cruise... I bring some drugs I consider essential.

- Motion Sickness medication

- anti-diarrhea medication

- ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen (Motrin & Tylenol)

- Benadryl

Everything else is first aid stuff. Sunburn stuff, cortisone cream, band-aids, triple antibiotic... but even those things can easily be found anywhere... its' the children's strength diarrhea stuff and Benadryl which can be most problematic...

So far, I've never had to use the Children's Imodium....ever... but you never know. Dramamine/Bonine sure... on occasion... anti-pyretics (ibuprofen/acetaminophen) not really ever... Benadryl - absolutely... allergies to cats can set the kids off... don't rub your eyes!

To the OP:

Your physician is absolutely correct in the recommendation for the Benadryl or Dramamine. Everything else hasn't been evaluated by the FDA for use in children under 12. Doesn't mean it won't work, but it doesn't guarantee that it won't hurt them.

Certainly, people can use adult Bonine on an 8 year old....but if anything happens, it clears Bonine of liability.... and you won't find a medical person who will tell you to do so.

Officially, it's not a good idea to use stuff untested on children for children.. unless directed by a physician. The doc can determine whether the benefit outweighs the risk of injury.

Otherwise, ginger is a great natural remedy for acute symptoms of motion sickness.

Altoids makes a ginger candy

Sea band makes a Ginger gum

I saw it on Myth Busters....

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

Archived