Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Marja,

You may be different but not unique. Some of the most boring evenings I've ever spent have been at the captain's table.

As for the maitre d' sizing people up as they enter the restaurant only people to whom feeling important is important will care.

Marja,

You may be different but not unique. Some of the most boring evenings I've ever spent have been at the captain's table.

As for the maitre d' sizing people up as they enter the restaurant only people to whom feeling important is important will care.

Henry... I don't quite understand what you're saying here, but anyway... we do follow the dress code in our own way (not unique;)) but different and we normally enter the restaurant when the Maitre'D has long gone and first guests are leaving. Mostly having a table for two...

Marja

Marja,

Presumably you are not being 'sized up' as suitable for a hosted table - you would have had your invitation either long before or a late phone call because they were desperate!

Someone mentioned 'Siberia' at the back of the restaurant - on the triplets to our mind that is where the nicest and most spacious tables for two are, and you sit next to each other, with a view of the room, much nicer than opposite.:)

The cruise ticket for our upcoming cruise states Black Tie Optional, not "Formal" Optional. The dress code on page 5 of the cruise ticket lists the following:

The Restaurant:

Either Casual: Slacks with sweater or shirt for men; sundress,

slacks or skirt and top for women (on the first and last nights of the

cruise, occasional other nights).

Or Elegant Casual: Jacket, but no tie, required for men; dress,

skirt or pants outfit for women.

Or Black Tie optional: Tuxedo or dark suit for men; evening gown

or other formal attire for women.

Evenings with Black Tie (Optional) attire suggested: 1

I called the office in Seattle and the agent confirmed the above information is correct.

This is very confusing because the FAQ section of the website lists a different dress code:

For Evenings:

After 6:00 p.m., suggested attire for all venues on board will be one of the following:

• Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days. Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

Edited by johnnycruise

The website is correct. The agent was incorrect in saying the cruise ticket is correct. Think you were confused before?

I got my reply from Seabourn today (five days later!) just before I locked my suitcase! It seems the dress code has gotten a bit stricter. In the past, Restaurant 2 was semi-formal on the formal night, now it's just as formal as the Restaurant. If this response is accurate, I'm guessing the Sky Grill will be packed by those who didn't think formal attire was required.

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line. We are attempting to clarify the wording on the website, but on the formal “optional” night, if a guest would like to dine in The Restaurant or Restaurant 2 on board the Legend, then they must be in a tuxedo or a dark suit with a tie. For the optional part, if guests would prefer not to dress for the evening, they may receive the same exemplary service and food from room service, or they may dine at the Sky Grill, where they do allow business casual wear. But as explained above, in the two main restaurants and in the bars/lounges on the formal evenings, formal wear is required.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Robert

Seabourn

800-929-9391

EMAIL:seareservations@seabourn.comSeabourn.com

Henry

Well dressed is in the eye of the beholder.

And if black tie or dark suit are now "required" for the dining room and Restaurant 2 as Robert says, then why are they calling is black tie "optional?"[/QUO

Henry,

Could it be because they are suggesting a tux or dark suit

One,or the other?

Here's what is posted on the seabourn Website...obviously this Robert person doesn't even know what his own company publish:rolleyes:

Attire During the Day:

• During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

Attire For Evenings:

After 6:00 p.m., suggested attire for all venues on board will be one of the following:

• Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days. Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

The itinerary in the preliminary document booklet will inform you of the number of Formal Optional evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal Optional evenings are scheduled as follows:

• Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal Optional evening
  • Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal Optional evenings
  • Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal Optional evenings

(Note: World Cruises, Holiday voyages and crossings may be scheduled differently.)

Attire Ashore:

Packing clothing that can be layered is the best way to plan for cruising in virtually any climate. For tropical cruises, bring light, loose-fitting garments that can be paired with a lightweight jacket or sweater. For cooler climates, pack extra layers of warmer garments such as a light top coat and some sweaters. When dressing to go ashore, it is helpful to be aware of the customs of the countries you are visiting. In some ports men and women should not wear shorts. Many cultures prefer that women wear dresses or skirts when visiting shrines, churches, mosques and templeses'

Lordoftheseas,

I don't think that black tie optional means tux or dark suit any more. That was what it meant in the good old days when the dress code stated just black tie. In the recent reinvention of black tie optional they clearly stated that if one wanted to wear a tux or dark suit on those nights that option was available. However, a jacket with or without tie was sufficient.

I just departed a 12-day Baltic cruise aboard Pride. There was one "formal" night. Dress in restaurant 2 was NOT required to be formal; only a jacket, no tie, was suggested for men sining there. The daily Herald did not suggest black tie optional for Restaurant 2, only in the main Restaurant.

(New chef Martin is one of the finest chefs in the fleet!)

WOW a floating dictatorship this little Robert!

Thank you for the heads up.

I love the fact that people have a problem just knowing the appropriate dress. Does everyone's mother still lay out their clothes for them? :) I called yesterday and spoke with this exact "Dictator Robert", an incredibly nice and friendly guy, who has been with Seabourn for a long time. He said with all of the changes, he had checked with his supervisor about what the current "Policy" is about that, and she was the one who was wrong about the formal night dress code. Robert was just quoting what he had been told as being current. I think people on here need to give this guy a break and grow up a little bit. Some of the posting on here remind me of junior high school, "Well Billy told me that Johnny said that Susie said...." Just makes me laugh.

• Like 1

I love the fact that people have a problem just knowing the appropriate dress. Does everyone's mother still lay out their clothes for them? :) I called yesterday and spoke with this exact "Dictator Robert", an incredibly nice and friendly guy, who has been with Seabourn for a long time. He said with all of the changes, he had checked with his supervisor about what the current "Policy" is about that, and she was the one who was wrong about the formal night dress code. Robert was just quoting what he had been told as being current. I think people on here need to give this guy a break and grow up a little bit. Some of the posting on here remind me of junior high school, "Well Billy told me that Johnny said that Susie said...." Just makes me laugh.

I think your explanation is fine, however the Reps and Front Line people should know what is being published on thier own website before giving out information. This shows me that internally, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and thus affects consistency. Maybe in the repid growth and merging of Offices with HAL this is why? who know?

I personally am going by what is published on the website.;)

I think your explanation is fine, however the Reps and Front Line people should know what is being published on thier own website before giving out information. This shows me that internally, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and thus affects consistency. Maybe in the repid growth and merging of Offices with HAL this is why? who know?

I personally am going by what is published on the website.;)

That's what I always do also. It's like the group test where you tell one person something, who passes it to another person, and once it gets back to the original person, you have a completely different story. Too easy to misinterpret from one person to the next. Especially if the aboves don't truly know. I've found out that the front line people are doing a great job and everyone seems to bash them, and they are just repeating what they've been told/taught.

...let us know how many men are in tuxes tomorrow night, will you? My husband says it's my choice whether he takes his tux, so no pressure! I love to dress up and see him in his tux but I don't want him to be uncomfortable if no ther men are so dressed up.We are on a7 nighter on the Spirit in the Med late September. Thanks!

I just departed a 12-day Baltic cruise aboard Pride. There was one "formal" night. Dress in restaurant 2 was NOT required to be formal; only a jacket, no tie, was suggested for men sining there. The daily Herald did not suggest black tie optional for Restaurant 2, only in the main Restaurant.

Thank you so much for your post. It is good to know my DH can continue to dress in slacks, jacket with or with out a tie, like he has done on our past Seabourn cruises. I was taking a wait and see approach to the dress code as reported by Robert, though different than the writen dress code on the website. If this was the new dress code, I was going to cancel our upcoming cruise, as this would be a no go for DH.

Formal optional with elegant casual always acceptable is great, everyone can dress up as much as they enjoy. If "black tie/dark suit formal" is not one's thing, he/she is not forced to stay in the cabin all night! I really couldn't believe Seaboun would be going "so backwards" in this day and time and in this market.

Presumably you are not being 'sized up' as suitable for a hosted table - you would have had your invitation either long before or a late phone call because they were desperate!

Someone mentioned 'Siberia' at the back of the restaurant - on the triplets to our mind that is where the nicest and most spacious tables for two are, and you sit next to each other, with a view of the room, much nicer than opposite.:)

As far back as two years, DH wore black blazer, dark slacks, dress shirt and tie on formal nights and we received invitations to tables hosted by various officers including the Captain.

We accepted some and declined others, We don't really care for the large tables for 10, it is really hard to hear and talk to anyone except the people next to you. We also don't like to be split up, glad to know you can ask to be seated together.

Totally agree about the wonderful tables for two in the back of the room...we loved sitting there.

I have found that if you do not like the direction, table, the M'D is leading you to a smile and a tiny shake of the head will make him change direction.

Read this tongue in cheek, my husband reckons he's paid for the trip so he does not want to eat with the "help" but then he's from Yorkshire!:D