Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Chairsin, you must have been on a 14 day cruise. Our 7 day Med cruise on the Quest was quite the opposite. A good 95% of the passengers chose the elegant casual on the formal optional night, but it was for the most part, a younger crowd. Averge age 45-60. One need not wear a tuxedo or gown to look "classy" (to quote someone else on this thread.)

This was my fourth Seaburn cruise. My first two had rigid formal nights and tuxedos were the norm. Not so on the last two. Did not in any way impede my enjoyment of the cruise. In fact, I liked it more! I still wore cocktail attire and my husband looked quite dapper in his dark sport jacket and tie, but no need to drag along a tuxedo for one night. Ths was for the most part an island cruise, not condusive to formal attire.

Every once and a while we go to a black tie dinner party. By the time the sorbet appears., the jackets are off, and by the time the dessert comes, ties have been loosened.What this proves I'm not sure, except perhaps that most of us are more comfotable in less formal clothes (maybe?) regardless of how we look to others.

Actually, what this proves is that you have all been "on the lash".

Just off the Legend for 2 weeks.On formal night the man sitting next to us was wearing a polo shirt and on his cell phone.Many complaints followed and the following week the dress code improved greatly improved.They took notice and no polo shirts were allowed.

Every once and a while we go to a black tie dinner party. By the time the sorbet appears., the jackets are off, and by the time the dessert comes, ties have been loosened.What this proves I'm not sure, except perhaps that most of us are more comfotable in less formal clothes (maybe?) regardless of how we look to others.

Actually, what this proves is that you have all been "on the lash".

Oh, you've been peeking! Or listening to those exaggerations that my wife offers up as soon as the bourbon is poured (for me, that is.)

Any idea where the expression came from? A contraction of "splash" or...?

[quote name=writer100;30561097 Oh' date=' you've been peeking! Or listening to those exaggerations that my wife offers up as soon as the bourbon is poured (for me, that is.)

Any idea where the expression came from? A contraction of "splash" or...?[/quote]

"On the lash" came into youngster's vocabulary in the UK a few years ago. Post #173 gives a neat interpretation. The genesis is obscure and the OED is of little help. Other than to note that " lash" includes "beat with a thong". But "thong" is open to different interpretations in different countries.

Turning to the OP about dress code. Oddly, our Australian cousins wear thongs on their feet. I have seen antipodeans wearing them on Seabourn. But not as evening attire.

Some British ladies wear thongs on a different part of their anatomy. This is acceptable for evening wear. However best not to enquire. Unless of course you have been on the lash and dont mind being lashed..

Edited by MARIANH

"On the lash" came into youngster's vocabulary in the UK a few years ago. Post #173 gives a neat interpretation. The genesis is obscure and the OED is of little help. Other than to note that " lash" includes "beat with a thong". But "thong" is open to different interpretations in different countries.

Turning to the OP about dress code. Oddly, our Australian cousins wear thongs on their feet. I have seen antipodeans wearing them on Seabourn. But not as evening attire.

Some British ladies wear thongs on a different part of their anatomy. This is acceptable for evening wear. However best not to enquire. Unless of course you have been on the lash and dont mind being lashed..

Sir: As usual, your comments are clever and incisive. I feel I must postpone my reply until I come up with something worthy of your attention. Which, considering my current condition--hiccup, hiccup--may take awhile

• 4 weeks later...
CruiserJohn ,

I'm not sure what you were expecting but certainly this thread had made it clear for some time that while there has been some relxation of the formal evenings dress code Seabourn has not changed the dress code for other evenings. It seems to me that you were misleading yourself and set yourself up for a disappointment. Seabourn is known for being dressy -- if you wanted casual and knew that even wearing a sportcoat would "limit your enjoyment" your cruise there are plenty of other nice cruise lines that are not concerned about attire. And I rather think that stuffy hardly describes Seabourn.[/quote

It may not describe the cruise line but it certainly describes the answer given.

Pray tell me why my post might be deemed stuffy. Seems to me that in selecting a cruise a person would research a various lines and find one that fits their own personal preferences rather than select a cruise and then expect it to to reinvent itself to that passengers preferences. I simply stated that this person could have saved himself the discomfort he said he experienced had he done more research. I suggested there would have been other nice cruise lines that he could have selected instead. So I guess what I thought might be a helpful suggestion you seem to want to misrepresent as stuffy.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I do not plan to wear jeans on my upcoming Seabourne cruise. I have cruised before, but not on Seabourne, and am not sure what to pack for the formal dinners. I would prefer to wear sport coat, tie, slacks; is this not formal enough? I have read the "official" dress code, but would like to hear from recent passengers.

Thanks much.

No, I do not plan to wear jeans on my upcoming Seabourne cruise. I have cruised before, but not on Seabourne, and am not sure what to pack for the formal dinners. I would prefer to wear sport coat, tie, slacks; is this not formal enough? I have read the "official" dress code, but would like to hear from recent passengers.

Thanks much.

You are encouraged not to wear jeans after 6pm. On formal nights we have seen people wear sports coats etc for gentlemen.

No in my opinion it is not formal enough, but then I am of the "olde school" just wear what you think is comfortable for you, but not jeans.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would suggest wearing a jacket or blazer for cocktails and dinner.

You'll feel more comfortable and well dressed.

Martita B

Thank you. So I don't need to pack a suit and a tie for my husband... I'll bring 2 cocktail dresses. I do like to dress up.

If your husband would like to wear a suit and tie, I would say, 'certainly' ~ especially if you will be wearing cocktail dresses.

You will not be overly dressed as many passengers will also dress for cocktails and dinner.

MB

Thank you for your suggestion. I like that even better.

I am a huge fan of formal nights and noticed on our next Seabourn 13 night cruise in December that there is only 1 Formal night scheduled. Is this correct and why the change. Are most people comfortable with this less formal dress code. It seems like such a shame to only have to dress up for one night and perhaps not worth packing even one long gown and tuxedo.

Your input and opinions would be greatly appreciated as it has been quite a while since I have been on Seabourn having mostly sailed Silversea which this same itinerary would have at least 3 Formal nights.

Thank You

Cindy

Trolling through this thread, may I offer a belated comment? Assuming you are on the Quest's 13-nighter from FLL, the reduction in formal(optional) nights is because of the locale. Mostly people who cruise the Caribbean apparently don't participate in or respond positively to the requirements of formal--even if optional. Still, you can bring whatever fashions you wish and wear them as you please. Though there is, perhaps,a degree of self-consciousness if you are almost the only couple wearing formal clothes. Or not. Perhaps such attitudes and practices change if you are on the holiday cruise which extends over New Years. Also, if you plan on spending any time in Miami or Fort Lauderdale, you will find it to be a most informal atmosphere. Even at the best restaurants, and even during "the season"--roughly November 1st through April 1st--a man can feel quite comfortable without a jacket.(Although many men will wear a jacket, though scarcely any bother with a tie.) We have never cruised in European waters, but from various comments on this and other threads, I conclude that such cruises with a smaller number of Yanks and very few Australians--who lean towards informality--the number of penguins may show a sharp increase.Just for comparison, it is very rare for a dinner party in New York to be black tie--except for New Year's Eve, perhaps--but, it would appear, somewhat more common--pun intentional--in the UK. Yes?

Trolling through this thread, may I offer a belated comment? Assuming you are on the Quest's 13-nighter from FLL, the reduction in formal(optional) nights is because of the locale. Mostly people who cruise the Caribbean apparently don't participate in or respond positively to the requirements of formal--even if optional. Still, you can bring whatever fashions you wish and wear them as you please. Though there is, perhaps,a degree of self-consciousness if you are almost the only couple wearing formal clothes. Or not. Perhaps such attitudes and practices change if you are on the holiday cruise which extends over New Years. Also, if you plan on spending any time in Miami or Fort Lauderdale, you will find it to be a most informal atmosphere. Even at the best restaurants, and even during "the season"--roughly November 1st through April 1st--a man can feel quite comfortable without a jacket.(Although many men will wear a jacket, though scarcely any bother with a tie.) We have never cruised in European waters, but from various comments on this and other threads, I conclude that such cruises with a smaller number of Yanks and very few Australians--who lean towards informality--the number of penguins may show a sharp increase.Just for comparison, it is very rare for a dinner party in New York to be black tie--except for New Year's Eve, perhaps--but, it would appear, somewhat more common--pun intentional--in the UK. Yes?

There you go again, as Ronald Reagan was fond of saying - maligning we natives of Albion.

Au contraire Sir, we Brits have moved with the times and are much less formal. For example on my last Caribbean cruise I was fully attired in tuxedos and decorations for only nine evenings in the 11 day cruise. On the remaining two nights I left my spats off. Please don't tell my butler. But as they used to say all those years ago when I was a tyke growing up in Yorkshire " chacun a son gout is de rigeuer"

As for penguins, a friend cruising Antarctica on the Prince Albert reported that there were lots of them and they were not at all self- concious about their appearance. He also said that the dress and accessories of fellow passengers was sometimes unusual. The Silversea brochure refers to formal chic for special nights and specifies no tie required. It is silent on accessories. And the name of the ship has been changed to Silver Explorer. Not sure why.

Edited by MARIANH

No doubt repeating what has been said a dozen times previously but just off the Quest in Athens I must say again - If you have a dress code then that dress code needs to be adhered to.

Someone needs to take charge and say sorry you can't come in here like that. Whilst our preference is for more formal nights than are usually held (one on our 7 nighter was good) I don't really think that 1 night in a 3 week holiday warrants carrying a Dinner suit around the world but surely everyone has a lightweight jacket they carry with them. That said, the group in short sleeved polo shirts on an elegant casual night looked almost overdressed compared to what looked a homeless man in jeans with a cardigan over a T shirt who was allowed into the dining room.

"Every man takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world". Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788 - 1860)

Sir:

The philosopher you quote was, as I dimly recall, famous for his pessimistic view of the world. Our reasons for eschewing cruises in the Med are twofold. First, they are much more likely to include children, and while I love my own I am much less tolerant of others. Second, aged though I may be, and cursed with a narrow vision though I am, I think that exploring the fascination of the nations surrounding the Med is much more satisfactorily done on land, rather than by sea. The former allows for a slow and sensitive exploration, while the latter offers at best a visit overhung by urgency, ruled by the ship's schedule and segmented by tour agendas.

Some future anthropologist uncovering these cc files will no doubt write a thesis on the popularity of this thread and the many others akin to it which have preceded.

Marianh, thank you.

Buccaneer 1, I quite agree that some people will take advantage of any dress code that is lax in enforcement. I respect the right of anyone to dress as formally as they wish.

So long as I don't have to.

Sir:

The philosopher you quote was, as I dimly recall, famous for his pessimistic view of the world. Our reasons for eschewing cruises in the Med are twofold. First, they are much more likely to include children, and while I love my own I am much less tolerant of others. Second, aged though I may be, and cursed with a narrow vision though I am, I think that exploring the fascination of the nations surrounding the Med is much more satisfactorily done on land, rather than by sea. The former allows for a slow and sensitive exploration, while the latter offers at best a visit overhung by urgency, ruled by the ship's schedule and segmented by tour agendas.

Some future anthropologist uncovering these cc files will no doubt write a thesis on the popularity of this thread and the many others akin to it which have preceded.

Marianh, thank you.

Buccaneer 1, I quite agree that some people will take advantage of any dress code that is lax in enforcement. I respect the right of anyone to dress as formally as they wish.

So long as I don't have to.

Schopenhaeur's aphoristic style has much to commend it. Many famous scribes have adopted the style.

Apropos cruises in the Med. Eschew, good for you. But not for all. Short exposures to many countries ( a la cruising) gives a snapshot. So informing decisions on longer exposure and sensitive exploration. Get the picture?

To avoid a dressing down, I won't address the dress issue.

Edited by MARIANH