Dress Code

gkgk123ca

They are always allowed to be worn in your cabin ANYTIME!;)

Fortunately on Seabourn ships, jeans are also allowed around the ship....so one does not need to hide in their cabin, if they like wearing jeans during the day.

But jeans are NEVER allowed in the Restaurant in the evening.

Count me as another supporter in the camp of "if you have a dress code enforce it( nicely!!!)"

That's why it's called SUGGESTED Dress Code in Seabourn's brochures!...you can't enfore a suggestion.;)

That's why it's called SUGGESTED Dress Code in Seabourn's brochures!...you can't enfore a suggestion.;)

So true.....all cruise lines have the same problem. I could care less about enforcing the dress code or even having much of a dress code as long as a person is well groomed.

IMO, Some people pay far too much attention to how other people dress at least on CC. We are usually much too busy to let some one else's attire ruin our day or evening. If we want to dress (up) we do, otherwise we will eat in the cabin, if what we are wearing is not acceptable in the MDR that evening.

Of course, there is the reality of what actually happens on board which, in our experience with Seabourn, HAL and others, is somewhat different than what is stated on CC....

I will say the thing one Regent has right is their dress code. Thier code is casual, but the passengers all seem to dress very nicely....maybe because no one cares if you dress casually or to the nines. You see all style of dress in the MDR every night. It doesn't bother anyone because they are too busy enjoying the cruise.

There's a rather more shallow point being missed here in that jeans on men (and women) over 30, on overweight people, and from the cheap racks actually look what they are - uncool and out of keeping with the more expensive and upmarket cruise line that Seabourn purports to be. I suspect trying to fill so many suites at a lower price has encouraged this over the past 7 or 8 years but the Italians who run Silversea understand cool and clothing in keeping with their image and are more likely want to maintain the older standards.Can you see a pair of jeans in any of the marketing pics and cruise brochures Seabourn send out on a regular basis.I can't.

I respect the rights cruisers have to choose their image and their clothing but that doesn't have to mean I have to respect their choices. It would be good for all those hardline rights conscious, older, larger, chain store jeans wearers out there to have a friend take a picture before they venture out and think to themselves - is this the way I want to present myelf on this upmarket holiday I've chosen. If it is, then in many cases it might be that a less prestigious cruise line, a holiday at the State Fair or a more upmarket tailor is in order.

Edited by Buccaneer_1

Buccaneer - I would certainly agree that the point you raise is indeed "shallow", not to mention elitest and pretentious. Would expensive jeans from some upmarket boutique in Sydney (therefore in sync with your "upmarket holiday") be more acceptable at dinner in the Restaurant, if (of course) they were being worn by young and slim passengers?

I would suggest that jeans would not be appropriate in the Restaurant on Seabourn or Silversea (it isn't too clear which line you are discussing in your post), irrespective of the price of the jeans or the svelte or zaftig body of the wearer thereof.

We prefer to follow the guidelines of the luxe cruise line on which we sail. As I recall, perhaps in error, none of them refers to the price of the attire or to the model-perfect-bodies of the passengers so attired. It is certainly our experience that if model-perfect-bodies were de rigueur on Seabourn, Silversea, and Regent, those ships would not sail quite full.

Cheers, Fred

Freddie

Well of course it's elitist - what's the problem you have with that. As for pretentious, that's your subjective view of my post and goes with the "respect your right to have views, don't have to respect what they are" part of the post.

As for which line you thought I was posting on you seem to have missed the point. I posted about Silversea on Seabourn not Silversea to make a point of the difference in approach to dress code adherence. Secondly jeans, of whatever cost, should never be acceptable in a restaurant that serves more than a hamburger and fries just as they are aren't at and in every country club golf course I've played in the States, Europe and in Australia. I know they're not the same - you don't have to point that out - but they have a similar cachet to us elitists, as well as similar dress codes.

With regard to the overweight, the wearers of cheap jeans and the over 40s (let's compromise), and I fall into two of the categories, maybe it's me that's missing the point of why anyone would want to present that image of themselves while on holiday, upmarket or not. If you can afford Seabourn at these low fares surely you can also afford to look the part in better clothing.

I'll reiterate to be clear - if you have a dress code then it should be adhered to and overweight, older people look awful in jeans, worse in cheap jeans.

On a very recent trip on a larger SB ship jeans were definitely not allowed in the dining room on any evening, and if it was 'jacket required' men had to have a jacket - lent to them by the dining room staff if necessary. Generally the dress worn by men was more casual than it used to be, i.e. many wore sports coat and shirt and tie on formal optional, and this was not a problem for the dining room. Fewer than 50% were in dinner jacket.

Whether one may like this or not, this is how it was in October.

If you want to wear jeans in the evening your other choices are eat in Restaurant2 or cruise another ship. Seabourn is not stuffy but please allow one of the last vestiges of the dress code to remain. I was very happy to see Seabourn specifically state "no jeans in the restuarant' on our last cruise.

Restaurant 2 is fine dining/slow food restaurant,so I would rather wear jeans in MDR then in Rest2. Anyway,if you do wear jeans nobody will tell you anything,except on formal night. It is your cruise,you paid for it,and you are the one who is enjoying it.

Restaurant 2 is fine dining/slow food restaurant,so I would rather wear jeans in MDR then in Rest2. Anyway,if you do wear jeans nobody will tell you anything,except on formal night. It is your cruise,you paid for it,and you are the one who is enjoying it.

I hate to disagree, but I am pretty sure that in the main dining room you could well be asked not to wear jeans, and not only on formal optional nights - certainly if they are the blue type; you can probably get away with black ones (I have in the past!) as they don't shout 'casual' quite so loudly.

Mother would freak and my gran would turn in her grave if they ever found out I went to dinner on a cruise in denim.........some things I have been brought up to regard as being the proper thing to do, and dressing for dinner is one of them.

I do believe that it could be an issue of old vs new and not age.

The following is the Seabourn current policy, as set out in a confirmation of booking sent out within the past couple of days:-

'Dress code - Jeans - not allowed in the Restaurant after 1800 hours and not in any venue (including deck grills) on Formal nights. Full Dress Code details set out in your Exclusive Travel Planner (approximately 12 weeks prior to departure).'

Question: on our upcoming two day (no laughter please) sampler on the Quest, the Travel Planner states 0 Formal Optional nights. How do I find out if our two big nights are casual or elegant casual? I assume that on such an abbreviated sailing, both nights will be casual, and I was not planning on bringing a blazer.

From a TA on the wonderful QUest. You guys have all been very busy discussing jeans while I've been away!

Jeans are not considered appropriate attire for the restaurant and that's a direct quote from the Seabourn Herald and jackets are required for gentlemen. And there was a sign at the entrance to restaurant repeating this message just n case you hadn't got the message. And that included casual nights too. Its a beautiful restaurant so it's a pleasure to dress accordingly and enjoy it!

There were 3 formal nights on this crossing and a mix of black tie and lounge suits, long and short dresses or trousers and glamorous tops for the girls.

Any questions - be delighted to answer them.

:)

We have also just returned from the Quest TA . Seabourn really do not seem to know what they are doing about Formal Optional nights .having clearly stated that cruises up to 13 nights would have 1 Formal Optional night and confirming this cruise would only have 1 a few days before sailing .They announced on boarding there would be 4 Formal Optional nights on the crossing ,when this was questioned they were adamant that there would be 4 .Then a few days later changed their mind and announced there would be 3. I was in a minority in a Tux I would estimate only around 25% wore one. Also the main dinning room was never anywhere near full on these nights.

OK, were men required to wear a jacket on the Queat even on casual nights in the MDR?? DH always wears a jacket on elegant casual and formal optional, but has not done so on casual nights, but we have never been on the big sisters....will do a TA on the sojourn later next year.

OK, were men required to wear a jacket on the Queat even on casual nights in the MDR?? DH always wears a jacket on elegant casual and formal optional, but has not done so on casual nights, but we have never been on the big sisters....will do a TA on the sojourn later next year.

Funny how memories differ! We were on the same ship as E And T but remember the restaurant was very full on both the Captain's welcome - first formal night and the last formal night which was the farewell dinner! In fact we just managed to get a table (for 6) on the last formal night and IMHO more black tie that night as well!

I think Seabourn got it right with 3 formal nights on this crossing and having read cc and taken on board (no pun intended) lots of helpful advice from the likes of Miss Martha et al, planned on there being at least two of them, so was actually delighted that there were three! And the boys all looked so handsome whether they were in black tie or suit, so either was great.

Having just checked our photos, I correct my earlier post in that My DH and the other boys did not wear a jacket on the last informal casual night in the Restaurant, but always on elegant casual.

No, men are not required to wear a jacket on casual nights in the MDR on any of the ships. Yes, they are on elegant casual and formal optional (in the MDR). And we already know about jeans!

I do agree that changing the ruling about formal optionals once you get on board is irritating - my DH feels it is worth taking his dinner jacket for two or more, but not for just one. However, you can then get on board and find it has changed. I have never actually asked who makes these decisions; maybe someone else has?

Just an FYI to all,

Gave Seabourn a call to get some clarification...

Doing a Transatlantic (TA) crossing:

9 Dec to 20 Dec ( 11 nights )

Malaga, Spain to Fort Lauderdale, FL.

As stated on the Seabourn website:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal Optional evening

(Note: World Cruises, Holiday voyages and crossings may be scheduled differently.)

The main reason I called was to find out if it was going to be scheduled differently and how many nights would be Elegantly Casual and how many Resort Casual...

What I was told,

First and last nights will be Resort Casual.

One night would be Formal Optional

and the rest (8 nights) would be "Upscale Casual".

(turns out this is Elegantly Casual)

So to gain entry into the main dining room (MDR) sport coat, suit or tux 9 of 11 nights. No problem, just want to be able to pack for the occasion.

One of the things I picked up by reading this whole thread was that Seabourn may not have their act together on what they say and what they do... I must agree with that in that it took some coaxing to get that basic info from them.

Seabourn HQ didn't seem to want to give me a direct answer and keep referring to "Upscale Casual - like you would wear at your Country Club". . . Now I'm sure they don't know if I'm even a member of a country club, let alone which one I belong to. I asked if a tie was required with Upscale Casual? This seemed to flummox them...

Then the Seabourn Rep queried me about "where are you getting this Elegantly Casual category". I explained, their website***...

The 3 categories you list are:

Resort Casual

Elegantly Casual

and Formal Optional

I had to explain where I got it and then explain what it said:

Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

Not the greatest customer service experience.

*** http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-planning/Planning-And-Advice.action?tabName=Frequently+Asked+Questions

Edited by Local17