Ever get sick at the end or just after?

dyslexic pirate

My first HAL cruise (2nd cruise ever) was a Mexico Riviera one. We had noro on the ship but we had been very careful throughout with hand washing, not touching rails and not eating in the Lido. Unfortunately, I lined up on the disembarkation gangway in front of a very relieved man who had just been released from his cabin after a three(?) day quarantine with noro. I barely got home before the vomiting and fever started. Three days of delirium, vomiting and consuming only clear fluids. On the other hand, any cruise weight I gained was gone!

I returned home on January 31, 2020 from cruises on Volendam, MSC Meravigilia, and Eurodam along with a few days before and between the cruises in Fort Lauderdale.  An Auto Train trip North with a visit to relatives in Maryland preceded my arrival home.

During an overnight stay in Fairmont, West Virginia on the 30th, I knew I was not well.  I got home in mid-afternoon on the 31st and got the two pieces of luggage into my condo and then collapsed.  I remained ill until early March, just in time for the lockdown due to Covid began.  

Meraviglia had a case of Covid, I have learned, but have not been able to learn whether it was before, during, or after my cruise.  The symptoms that I had tell me that I had a case of Covid.  But, when my PCP tested for any evidence of that, nothing showed.  If it was not Covid, it was a darn good similarity to the virus!  

This experience is really the worst that I have had after a cruise.  It's hard to say what one experiences is due to what one has experienced, I think.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 5:25 AM, sparkle57912 said:

I will literally never go on a cruise again. I was told I was positive for flu but discovered the test is not that valid. Now after spending tons of money I have to wait to see if they will release me from my prison. Since I have been on this cruise for a week I either got it from another passenger or on the airplane. If I were on my own, I would get the meds and be able to go where I want and not be jailed. This is my 11th cruise and I sincerely will never put myself in this position again. I am not wealthy enough to take a long cruise like this to miss things I planned to see for over 3 years.

Oh yes, they told me I get my laundry done for free..I don't allow anyone to do my laundry. Like that will make up for anything. I was well enough to go on an excursion today and thought I might be developing bronchitis due to a cough. So once again, I don't trust the test being accurate but it is probably exciting for them to report it. When I walked in, they were so unconcerned with my symptoms they offered me over the counter meds but stupid me believed, and still do , that I had bronchitis, and said I'd see the doctor.

I can't believe I said this..I have been on several cruises since this. I just make sure I have the flu shot, although that is not always a guarantee. Have not been on one since 2019 due to COVID but have some  planned..ha ha once a cruiser always a cruiser.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

Always try to avoid snacks set out on the bar. Got sick twice on those.    

That's unfortunate.  On the ships which I have sailed, the bartenders will provide a small flask of peanuts/goldfish for each guest and remove them when the guest leaves the bar.  If canapes are served, they are served on individual platters, one for each guest or couple.  Removed from the bar when the individuals depart.  

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes we do feel we may have experiencing something after or towards the end because of the A/C on board. 

Even on Caribbean Sailings, the change of heat outside and the A/C does develop sinus or colds.

One sailing on the QM2 to the NE/Canada in July, arriving in Halifax was like winter nasty weather. I got a Sinus Infection and my father Pneumonia. 

My DW always watches the A/C on board like in the restaurant or theater or showroom with taking a wrap to use.

Also these were the days before Sanitizer were all over.

When on board during the cruise we do go to the Medical Center on the QM2 which is a hospital. To await the medication we always take and get advise of what to use in case med's are needed.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

When on board during the cruise we do go to the Medical Center on the QM2 which is a hospital.

I have had the need to use a ship's Medical Center on a few cruises.  The first time was in Nassau when I was a guest on the S. S. Oceanic.  Climbing the Queen's Staircase, the "klutz" part of me appeared and I fell on a stone step and caused quite a bleeding wound on my knee.  I rushed back to the ship because I knew I needed first aid.  The nurse cleaned the wound, applied an antibiotic and a bandage while inquiring if my vaccinations were up to date.  

The most recent was on the Eurodam in 2020.  Trying to open a small bottle of wine in my stateroom, somehow the neck of the bottle broke and badly cut my thumb.  Much blood that I could not stem.  Wrapped the thumb in a towel and headed for the Medical Center (this was close to Midnight).  A crew member passed me in the corridor as I approached the closed Medical Center, saw my predicament, and called the emergency number to summon the Nurse on call.  Quickly, the gentleman appeared and stopped the bleeding, deciding that I didn't need stitches, and bandaged the thumb.  (Keep it dry, etc.  No more hydrotherapy pool for me that cruise.  Darn it!)  This incident was reported to the ship's security and I had a visit the next morning from the Chief of Security to get the details of what happened.  I thought was a "bit over the top".  But, he said he had to make a report to HQ about the incident for some reason.

The most serious incident was when I was on a ship's sponsored shore excursion at Luxor.  Attended the Sound and Light Show there (excellent), but leaving, the lighting was poor, lots of people "in a hurry", and steps out of the seating area.  I missed a step and fell onto my rear end.  Staff members of the show saw what happened and rushed to get me to my feet before my body was ready for that resulting in an injury to a knee.  It was so painful that I could not walk by myself.  Both helped me get back to the Bus.  Staff helped me off the Bus onto the ship and to the Amsterdam's Medical Center.  Again, the Nurse on Call had to be summoned.  And did what she could do at that time with instructions to ice the knee and keep the leg elevated.  Needed to see the doctor the next morning; x-rays were taken--nothing broken.  Choice of a brace or an Ace Bandage; I chose Ace.  Continued visits for the rest of that long cruise to the doctor and continued need for pain medicine.  (They eventually ran out of whatever the medicine was, but, by that time Tylenol was OK.)  Returning home and seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon resulted in arthroscopic surgery on that knee which was successful.  (Although, as my doctor expected, as I have gotten older, that knee can still be a bit finicky at times.)  

The cost for all of the doctor's and nurse's visits, the x-rays, the pain medicines, the Ace bandages because of that accident as a guest on a HAL shore excursion was $0.00!  I was surprised.

What could have been an interesting side story to this was at the time my accident happened at Luxor, I was given the choice by the Show's staff of going to a local hospital or return to the ship.  Knowing when the ship would sail from Safaga (some time away from Luxor), I decided on returning to the ship.  What might have been my experiences if I had chosen to go to a local hospital and miss the ship?  I think I made the right decision even though I was in pain.  

• Like 2