Not so "LIVE" Allure of the Seas Review with PIX!

Michele,

My family and I have been following your and Trainman's cruise reports...very informative..thank you so much! I am new to this Cruise Critic thing but find it very useful, we sail on Allure on 4/24/11 and wish we would have known about this site earlier! A couple questions:

1- Did you happen to go to the comedy club? If so, was it worth it, and were there children allowed, or did you see any in there? (By children I mean teenagers, not young kids)

2- Did you see anyone with the WOW phones/Royal Connect? I know they were on Oasis OTS but if they are on Allure it would be great!

We used National - picked up the car in Orlando, then returned it at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale. Very easy, and great price - $26/day for a convertable via Priceline.

We weren't aware of the shuttles, and asked for a taxi; however, they pointed us to the shuttle and it was ready to leave. Can't beat free, quick and easy!

There were several other rental companies with shuttles. I'd say the competition forces them to do this. My guess is that they provide the service for free with a rental contract. National had several shuttles coming and going, so waiting shouldn't be a major issue.They made one stop before going to terminal 18, but it was quick. I'd do it again, if the shuttle was there when I was ready to leave; otherwise, I'd take a taxi because I'm a get there on MY time kind of girl. ;)

Michelle,

You mentioned renting the car via Priceline. Did you do it via bidding or just booked using their regular booking process?

Michele,

My family and I have been following your and Trainman's cruise reports...very informative..thank you so much! I am new to this Cruise Critic thing but find it very useful, we sail on Allure on 4/24/11 and wish we would have known about this site earlier! A couple questions:

1- Did you happen to go to the comedy club? If so, was it worth it, and were there children allowed, or did you see any in there? (By children I mean teenagers, not young kids)

2- Did you see anyone with the WOW phones/Royal Connect? I know they were on Oasis OTS but if they are on Allure it would be great!

1. We were on the same week as Michele (and the week after) and saw the comedy shows both weeks (four different comedians). They're really for 18+, which is announced numerous times before the shows. I think the comedians themselves are uncomfortable with kids younger than 18. During one show there were kids who looked younger than 18, and they were called out on it by the comedian. Turns out they were 19.

2. Don't know anything about the WOW phones, but did see people walking around with a different style phone. A few folks with two-way radios, too.

Have a wonderful time. Wish we were still on the ship!

My hubby, 4-year-old "princess" and I are anxiously waiting our May 15 sailing on the Allure. I've been reading every review I could find just so I can get to know this ship before we sail AND so I can start building up the anticipation of what I expect to be a fabulous cruise.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a insightful review and posting those wonderful pictures. Yours has been the best review I've read so far and I'm so glad I found it!

Michele,

I guess I loved the beaded gowns between the elevators, too. We were watching a photo slideshow last night on our TV, and I must have 40 pics of that artwork. I guess I kept forgetting that I had already taken pictures of that area!

We're trying to convince DD's boyfriend to cruise out of Florida, so I'm going to suggest the Freedom out of PC. He either doesn't want the expense of flying or doesn't like to fly, so he just wants to cruise out of Baltimore. Not crazy about the Enchantment, but I'd like to try the Freedom and go to Key West and CocoCay.

BF asked why we didn't have any pictures of the food -- it never even occurred to me, since we weren't wowed by anything. I did take a few pics in the Samba Grill, but that was mostly of the dancer. ;)

Can't believe we've been home a week already! You're so lucky you get to go back next year. Oasis is definitely on our list, since we want to see Hairspray.

Welcome back to reality, Joan!

We loved the freedom, and it will probably be our ship of choice forthe next few vacations since the prices are so much better than Oasis class, plus the amenities for kids are great. We are thrilled we get to take the kids on Allure next year though - their gonna love it!!! Anyway, I hope you get to do Freedom. Let me know. Would love to hear your comparison too. :)

Yes, I loved the dresses, but couldn't find a great way to photograph them. Pictures dont do them justice.

Michele,

Welcome to cruise critic!

The comedy is for adults, but some of the older teens get in from time to time. Our comedian didn't tone it down for the kids. Definitely R rated.

No Wow phones that we saw. I've heard that they are no on Allure.

Michelle,

You mentioned renting the car via Priceline. Did you do it via bidding or just booked using their regular booking process?

I bid on a sedan and "lost," but when I bid just a few dollars more on the convertible, I won. Go figure. $26/day. :)

My hubby, 4-year-old "princess" and I are anxiously waiting our May 15 sailing on the Allure. I've been reading every review I could find just so I can get to know this ship before we sail AND so I can start building up the anticipation of what I expect to be a fabulous cruise.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a insightful review and posting those wonderful pictures. Yours has been the best review I've read so far and I'm so glad I found it!

You're very generous with your compliments, but thank you. :). There are a lot of great reviews out there. For food pictures and descriptions, check out BrianAlt's thread. Wow- makes me hungry! He's posted here so you can find one of his posts and click on the link in his sig, or search for him. Also, trainman, radio, Bionicman97, and soooo many more, but that's a great start.

Be prepared to be amazed!! Hope you write about your trip. :)

Michele

Thank you Thank you Thank you for the wonderful review and pictures!!! I stayed up way past my bedtime just to read it all!! Curtis you made it even more enjoyable with your wonderful responses LOL!!!!!:p Now I am so ready to book this ship!!!! :D

Michele,

We are most definitely Mountaineers Fans!!! We live 30 minutes from Morgantown! We had season tickets for years, but have got busy with life and haven't had them for a few years. I'm waiting on the WOW sale to book Allure for April 15th 2012. I'm so so excited!

Thanks for the great review and the pictures, the diving show looks amazing! I can't wait!! :D

1. We were on the same week as Michele (and the week after) and saw the comedy shows both weeks (four different comedians). They're really for 18+, which is announced numerous times before the shows. I think the comedians themselves are uncomfortable with kids younger than 18. During one show there were kids who looked younger than 18, and they were called out on it by the comedian. Turns out they were 19.

2. Don't know anything about the WOW phones, but did see people walking around with a different style phone. A few folks with two-way radios, too.

Have a wonderful time. Wish we were still on the ship!

Welcome to cruise critic!

The comedy is for adults, but some of the older teens get in from time to time. Our comedian didn't tone it down for the kids. Definitely R rated.

No Wow phones that we saw. I've heard that they are no on Allure.

Thanks so much for the info from both of you! My family and I are very excited for our turn on the Allure. Hope you both had fun on your sailing!

Michele,

Did you take any of the scrapbooking workshops? did you go to the room? Is it nice.

Thanks

I didn't take classes, but I saw the room. It's located near Adventure Ocean and is a nice size for a small group of people. I forgot to get a picture. :(

Michele,

Thank you so much...you have me super excited for our cruise on the Allure in December.

Thanks for reading! I'm in the process of creating a website for our family to help create excitement for our Feb2012 cruise. As if I could be any more excited. Lol

You're going to have a great cruise!!!

Michele,

Thank you so much for taking the time (I know it requires A LOT!) to post such a thorough and entertaining review with amazing pictures! I read them all, and my teens kept reading over my shoulder to see what else they could find out, and looked at every photo!

DH is so stoked about the beer cooler deal. I hope we are able to find one.

This got us very prepared and excited for our chance to sail her in just 10 days. Can't wait!

Diane

Michele,

I just thought of the question I wanted to ask you! Flavored water... I saw you mention it was available is the Park Cafe (I think). Where else was it available, and when? It is out all the time? In bottles or a dispenser? If I can't get my Coke Zero (which I hear they do not have) I will have to live with the flavored water.

Thanks in advance!

Diane

Michele,

Thank you so much for taking the time (I know it requires A LOT!) to post such a thorough and entertaining review with amazing pictures! I read them all, and my teens kept reading over my shoulder to see what else they could find out, and looked at every photo!

DH is so stoked about the beer cooler deal. I hope we are able to find one.

This got us very prepared and excited for our chance to sail her in just 10 days. Can't wait!

Diane

Just TEN days??!!!! You must be excited!! Please come back and tell us about your trip. :) I'm so excited that you'll get to experience it with your family. I loved Allure, but really felt our kids needed to be there to enhance our experience. Have a great time!!! And get that beer cooler early, if possible. :D

Michele,

I just thought of the question I wanted to ask you! Flavored water... I saw you mention it was available is the Park Cafe (I think). Where else was it available, and when? It is out all the time? In bottles or a dispenser? If I can't get my Coke Zero (which I hear they do not have) I will have to live with the flavored water.

Thanks in advance!

Diane

The flavored water is located in the windjammer, park cafe, solarium bistro, wipeout cafe (I think) and possibly other places. You will either find a dispenser or the cups will be prefilled (in the windjammer). The water is available any time the venues are open.

Hope this helps

Michele,

Thanks for your reply and all your great info. I will make sure to post with our thoughts and photos after our trip. Yes, I am glad we are able to take the kids. I have cruised without them, and I always wish they were there (well, MOST of the time). ;) We were able to get a FREE cabin for the kids with our RCI credit card points. Woo hoo! I am actually looking forward to seeing the kids explore the ship!

Diane

Michele,

Thanks for your reply and all your great info. I will make sure to post with our thoughts and photos after our trip. Yes, I am glad we are able to take the kids. I have cruised without them, and I always wish they were there (well, MOST of the time). ;) We were able to get a FREE cabin for the kids with our RCI credit card points. Woo hoo! I am actually looking forward to seeing the kids explore the ship!

Diane

Wow a free room! We just opened the card a few months ago and have been putting all our purchases on the card, we scored several 50 dollar onboard credits for the 4/24 Allure cruise! See you on the ship;)

Michele,

Thanks for your reply and all your great info. I will make sure to post with our thoughts and photos after our trip. Yes, I am glad we are able to take the kids. I have cruised without them, and I always wish they were there (well, MOST of the time). We were able to get a FREE cabin for the kids with our RCI credit card points. Woo hoo! I am actually looking forward to seeing the kids explore the ship!

Diane

Gotta love the kids and the royal visa! :)

Can't wait to read about your journey.

Wow a free room! We just opened the card a few months ago and have been putting all our purchases on the card, we scored several 50 dollar onboard credits for the 4/24 Allure cruise! See you on the ship;)

If you are patient, you can score a free companion fare or cruise for two. :) I love my card. :D

Michele,

Your pictures look great!! Do you mind telling me what kind of camera you were using? I need a new camera and we are going on the Allure this May 15th. Thanks

It is my 11 year old daughter's camera and I believe it's a Sony. My camera is a Nikon Coolpix, but I haven't been pleased with the quality; hence, the reason I took hers on our trip. ;)

I'd love a nice camera, but I'm not ready to invest the $$ when I really want something small to carry in my pocket. Plus, I'm the one who takes the pictures, but my family is always rushing me... "hurry up, you've taken enough MOM!," etc. One of these days my kids will be older and I'll have more time. ;)

Have a great cruise!

Wow, thanks for your review... I read your Freedom review as well and it was *awesome*... looks like you guys had a great time on this cruise too. I hope to sail the Allure or Oasis in a few years once the hype (and prices) go down a little. Would love to try some of those restaurants!

Glad you liked them, and thanks for taking the time to read them.

I hope the prices go down as well. Our February trip is costing a small fortune with two cabins just for our family. Fingers crossed that you get to go sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

Michele-What an absolutly incredible thread you've created! We booked the Allure for 4/1/12 during the Wow sale & like you, my DW & myself will be cruising for free! Woo hoo! Jusy using our RCL VISA reward points! This time we'll be taking our 2 dds. Just off the Celebrity Eclipse for a reconnecting cruise with my DW :) After we were home a couple weeks, the cruise blues set in...that WOW sale came at the perfect time!

So I'm just begining to research the Allure & found your thread this AM. It's so informative & it's a lot of fun! Thank you for all you've taught me about the ship in one afternoon of reading! Your opions & information are awesome.

Only wish we were sailing in Feb of 2012, was thinking we might hire you as our guides! Thank you for all your efforts & time doing this to benefit others like us! :)

Allured-Dawg

Archived