Golden Princess

dickinson

pmc7704 - Actually we will spend $213/person more than you because I got a great rate through the warehouse club I belong to. They also discount the insurance although that will be nonrefundable if for some reason we cancel. I just did my vacation bid at work which covers the time you are going but I did not pick that week and it is too late now to change.

furluvcats' husband - Glad you had a great cruise. Someday I'll get back to Hawaii. Did you specifically pick the window suite or were you upgraded to it?

Glad you got a good deal. We didn't actually pay the amount I posted, that was directly from Princess website. Most travel agents will discount and give OBC, our actual price came to $1413 PP plus $60 OBC per cabin, so I was happy.

By the way, I checked on the sizes of the cabins, and 301 is 319 sq ft and the others are 341 sq ft.

pmc7704 - Glad you got a good deal! I see you are doing the Paradise repo through the canal. You'll have a wonderful time. The last time we cruised was the last non smoking cruise of the Paradise when it went through the canal to go to LA! It was our best cruise ever. We had a great roll call. Because of a hurricane the ship left Miami a day late and 500 people did not show up. Noooo problem getting a lounge chair by the pool! You could have a dozen. :D

The best place to view the canal (which is an all day affair) is on top in front. Some people go real early and put some deck chairs there (not much room but they fit. One row across). After the first locks they all leave for breakfast. That is when we went and sat down for the rest of the day til dinner! Had a panoramic view.

We have been on two cruises to Alaska, most recently on Golden last August. I consider a balcony essential for Alaska. We saw so much wildlife right from our balcony. In our experience, windows get a crust of salt water immeadiately.

I could be confused, but I don't think there are cabins on the Fiesta deck. Most mini-suites are on the dolphin deck, with a few on the emerald deck. I like the mini-suites because you get a separate sitting area with a couch, chair and coffee table. I don't like having to sit on the bed when I'm relaxing in the cabin. I guess it depends on how much time you spend in the cabin whether it's worth it for you.

Exactly. When there was an over abundance of overtime at work I was able to pay for full suites. Now that the economy has taken a dump and OT has dried up I've switched to mini's. Love em to death. We had an AD on the Diamond and loved the totally covered balcony (bonus was it was the last one with the bigger balcony). On our recent Hawaii (Golden) cruise I wasn't sure if I'd like having an uncovered balcony (didn't bother me in the least). For our cruise in October I saved $$$$$ by switching from an AD to an AC (travel agent). The biggest bonus on choosing a mini (imho) is the shower/tub combo.....:):):)

Bob

We have been on two cruises to Alaska, most recently on Golden last August. I consider a balcony essential for Alaska. We saw so much wildlife right from our balcony. In our experience, windows get a crust of salt water immeadiately.

I agree! I would never go to Alaska without a balcony. Some people argue that it's too cold to be outside, etc, but the reality is that you will miss a LOT if you think you'll be watching from behind a glass in some public location instead of out on the balcony (with your warm room only 2 steps away)! Save your money and get the cheapest balcony if possible!

Katherine

Well, I am about ready to book. After careful thought I decided to book a specific room in the window suites. If I did a guarantee I don't know if I would actually be upgraded to a suite with a balcony and decided I did not want the one ws that was a little smaller. Also some of the full suites with balconies are in locations I am not keen on. Now I just have to make that call to the travel agent.! (even though cruise would be refundable at this point the travel insurance won't be).

• 2 months later...

We went to Alaska last year on Princess in May...Had A Blast and Its SOOO Beautiful.....

We had a Mini-Suite and Loved it, DW Loves her Long Baths....And I like the Full size Shower with room to move around plus extra sitting area....

Also for us having a Balcony is a Must.....I sat outside with my Binoculars each Morning/Day looking for Animals and the Scenery.....

We saw a Bear near a small waterfall looking for fish and Lots of Eagles...

This Year were doing Hawaii for 14 days in Nov......Next year its back to Alaska in May...Have Fun......:)

• 5 months later...
Hello, this is furluvcats husband. Just thought I would throw my two cents in since we just got off the golden for a two week cruise to HI in a Window Suite. I would book this room everytime. The room is very large and the bathroom is amazing. If you have to have a balcony, then this would not be for you. Personally, the VIEW was better than I have ever had with a balcony. No overhang and nothing at all to obstruct your view. I spent some time in the confort of my room just looking out at the water. And when the weather was not all that great, I had the best view of the ocean on the whole ship. Never been in a balcony where the view from INSIDE the room was this good. The FULL SUITE perks were great. I especially liked the FREE INTERNET, FREE DRY CLEANING and FREE SABATINIS for breakfest. There was zero noise from over, under or to the sides of our room at any time over the 14 days. The location was great. We were steps from everything going on. Would I take a FULL SUITE with a balcony over the WS, it depends on the itenerary. Would i ever take a MINI over a WS again, never. It was that nice.

Hi!! Just spotted your message as I was scanning the Forums! We are Rebecca and Allan from England, and we joined you with other Cruise Critic passengers for a party in you Suite on the cruise! Hope you are both well! x

We have booked another Hawaiian cruise, this time on the Celebrity Century, in March next year. We have managed to get a fantastic deal on a Sky Suite - its on the Sports deck, has a large balcony and a butler!! Can't wait!!

I agree with you..a nice room makes all the difference to the cruise, and your Suite was beautiful - how many people did you manage to fit in altogether???

Archived