Canadian Medical Insurance discussion

• 2 months later...

My wife and I are both in our late sixties and continue to travel whenever possible. Last winter, about six weeks before our scheduled cruise, my wife had a re-occurrence of a pre-existing condition. This, for all intents and purposes, made her ineligible for medical coverage under the terms of our RBC Travel Medical Insurance - Annual Plan.

Since we had booked our cruise earlier in the year, I was scrambling to find some sort of medical coverage c/w a pre-existing condition rider, at virtually the last minute, (she had recovered and had her doctor's approval to travel). I was able to obtain basic emergency medical coverage, but only up to a maximum of $50,000. I'm not even sure $50,000 would get you in to see the janitor at most U.S. hospitals. I also had to purchase a separate medical evacuation insurance policy. Both policies, purchased through Squaremouth in the U.S. cost over $500. for 12 days of coverage.

I just recently booked another cruise for next winter, and within 10 days of booking purchased a complete travel insurance package covering the two of us, c/w a pre-existing condition waiver, $1,000,000. emergency medical, emergency evacuation, trip cancellation, lost baggage, etc. etc. for $375. + tax. This insurance package is available from TravelSafe, which now is able to sell to Canadians, and has an office in Toronto.

I have never dealt with TravelSafe, nor do I want to appear to be a spokesman for their product. As pointed out on these boards, there are several insurance companies out there offering similar packages, but only if purchased within 14 - 21 days of initial trip deposit.

I tell this long winded tale only to point out the need to purchase travel insurance soon after booking to guard against unforeseen circumstances such as we encountered. And as mentioned many times in this forum, "read your policy document carefully before buying". Despite being mind numbing reading, it could save you $$$$$.

Edited by Grimsby

We usually use PC FINANCIAL insurance trip Cancelation I think it was underwritten by Travelguard

We also have Manulife medical from DH retirement plan

We have not had to claim on either

This past trip I used Global Excel through the Municipal employees Org

http://www.encon.ca/mroo/about.html

If you happen to have been an employee in Ontario by the Municipality might be worth checking

This winter we had a cruise booked for 24 days the morning we were to fly out of Toronto...we were at the hotel near the airport & DH was not well so we had to cancel a few hours before our flight out

Head home & to the ER

Today I checked the claim info online & they have paid the full amount ..YIPPEE

We did have some insurance on the TD USD credit card but you have to actually leave on your trip to get any thing covered

I think you have to read all the fine print no matter what insurance you choose & if you have a pre-exisiting condition even more so

I had asked all the questions on my pre exisiting condition but DH is never sick so was not worried

How things change :eek:

Another tip: insure a bit more than you think you need ...I had upgraded to Exec seats the day before the flight so this portion was not covered in my oringinal amount I had insured & did not think to ask to add that amount nor the hotel in Miami ..fortunatly the hotel in Miami did not charge me even though in their policy it said we had to cancel 2 days prior for a refund

Read the policy & ask questions from the company

Got our full refund cheques today

very pleased with the service ..took 3 weeks from when they received our paperwork till we got the refund

Will use them next trip after I check all the fine print :)

Lyn

• 4 months later...

It is probably a good time to bump this thread. Canadians getting ready for the winter cruises might find some benefit.

We have a friend TA who had a recent disturbing event. A client refused to take insurance on a $20K trip, insisting they would go no matter what happened. Unfortunately a diagnosis did happen that did prevent travel. They have suffered a devastating health issue and lost their $20K. Even if the health issue is resolved, they are $20K lighter when it comes time to book another vacation which they would certainly need.

It is expensive to insure but you don't insure only what you can afford to lose. A recent quote for a healthy couple ( Canadians ) in their mid 70's from 3 companies on a " Trip cancellation / Trip interruption" policy was over $350 each to insure $4500 each. That hurts but losing $4500 hurts worse when it happens, which it certainly can. For those that are wondering, they are have out of country health coverage from their employer.

Also beware the coverages offered by credit cards. They often have limits lower than some combined costs. My card has a $5K limit per couple. Would work for a caribbean cruise but not for a European trip.

Have a great winter cruise season everyone.

• 11 months later...
Has anyone used Blue Cross insurance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just bought a medical insurance policy from Pacific Blue Cross (we live on the West Coast) which I assume is the same as you are asking about?

Because I will be 61 prior to our cruise our price has gone up. They look back 180 days prior to cruise but you can buy a "waiver" which has a look back of only 7 days prior to the cruise. It didn't cost that much more to purchase it. Has $5 million medical coverage.

We did not buy the cancellation insurance because the limit of coverage was only $2500. We used points to book our air and the hotel can be cancelled with 72 hours notice and we will buy the "cancel for any reason" insurance just prior to final payment through the cruise line for the cruise.

This was obviously just the way we decided to do our booking etc and are comfortable with it.

Did you purchase the standard "cancel for any reason", or the platinum? Just wondering, as I ponder what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We don't go on our cruise until April 2015 so have time to decide between the standard or platinum-it's with HAL that our next cruise is on. I think we will be leaning towards the Platinum though.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing that hasn't been discussed in this thread regarding RBC Insurance -

I've noticed that RBC tends to customize coverage for their larger clients, like airlines and major travel agencies, who in turn resell coverage to consumers. This means that policies issued by RBC vary depending on who you're actually buying it from - RBC obviously has their own terms and conditions for products that they sell directly to the consumer, but some major travel agencies like TravelCUTS and American Express also sell travel insurance products underwritten by RBC with drastically different terms and conditions, coverages and exclusions.

Always important to read the specific policy you have and not just rely on blanket generalities - myself personally, I have an annual plan with American Express (underwritten by RBC) and had no issues making a Trip Interuption Claim last year due to a cancelled flight- thankfully haven't had to make a medical claim yet.

Edited by cmich068

• 2 weeks later...

I was just doing ins today for our May cruise

Prices are :eek: once over 65

We could self insure ..the money will be gone either way but at least with ins We will have the opportunity to cruise again with the refund

We never left the airport last time before DH got sick but wonder what would have happened in another Country & the costs of medical care etc...

It is a personal choice

We have a cruise in Nov ...I forgot to get the insurance (we had a lot going on)

So hoping no issues ..we will be out $5500. otherwise ;)

check some policies they have a maximum pay-out of $5000. pp OK if your cruise is not over that limit

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 32 but I had a heart attack a couple of years ago and now have much concern about travel insurance. My husband and I go away at least 3x a year. I have travel insurance from work and from the credit card but I still get my own travel medical insurance. I've used Canadian direct and pay about 21 dollars for a 2 week trip world wide. Pre existing is covered so long as no issues 8days before travelling. I haven't made any claim so can't say much about that. Otherwise relatively cheap.

Sent from my C6906 using Forums mobile app

Edited by landcruiser26

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2014/11/11/as_dollar_drops_snowbird_insurance_rising_mayers.html

Some quotes from the attached link.

A survey done for the THIA this year found that 14 per cent of people applying for insurance falsify the application. Half did so to get a cheaper rate. The biggest way they do that is to misrepresent their medical condition. They ‘overlook’ a pre-existing heart, or respiratory condition, or justify a loose interpretation of a question.

The risk is that you need the insurance and the claim is rejected, although Bitner says insurers reject less than 5 per cent of claims each year. Given that the THIA study also found that for many a $1,000-to-$5,000 out-of-pocket medical expense represents a financial crisis, lying is a high risk decision.

Theresa Monsma, a senior marketing executive with Desjardins Insurance, says their research finds that people find the application intimidating. They’re worried about getting it wrong and want coverage for a longer time without reapplying. So, Desjardins has just launched what it says is a Canadian first , a four-year travel insurance plan called Quattra aimed at Snowbirds aged 61 to 80.

Bitner advises that people go to their doctor or financial advisor if need be for help getting the paperwork right.

“Because of the consequences, don’t guess,” he says. “Call the insurer and ask. Ten times if you have to. Look at the fine print. Snowbirds tend to look at the price, rather than look at whether the policy is any good. It should be the other way round.

For anyone who is a member of the Canadian Public Service, and I know there are many of us who frequent these boards, know that you are covered by the Public Service Health Care Plan (Public Service Travel Benefit and Emergency Travel Assistance Benefit).

Travel Benefit

The Public Service Health Care Plan covers you and your dependants for up to $500,000 each in eligible medical expenses incurred as a result of an emergency while traveling on vacation or business. This coverage continues for up to 40 days after departure from your province of residence.

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hr...etab01-eng.asp

For anyone who is a member of the Canadian Public Service, and I know there are many of us who frequent these boards, know that you are covered by the Public Service Health Care Plan (Public Service Travel Benefit and Emergency Travel Assistance Benefit).

Is this a free service?

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/tb_862/pstbaetab01-eng.asp

DH is retired Municipal worker & we pay a premium for travel insurance

If you are a retired public servant, teacher, union member etc look into the annual plan offered by Johnson. We are members of the FSNA It is called Medoc and it has huge coverage for medical, trip interruption and cancellation. https://www.johnson.ca/travel/medoc/groupsearch.jspx

We have an annual policy which comes to about $28 per month for both of us and it covers multiple trips per year of 40 days or less.

Here is the fine print lol

http://static.johnson.ca/static/johnson/medoc_equote/pdf/model_b_en/Group.pdf

Is this a free service?

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/tb_862/pstbaetab01-eng.asp

DH is retired Municipal worker & we pay a premium for travel insurance

Depends on your definition of "free". It is built in to the Public Service Health Care Plan, something all federal employees possess unless you opt out of it.

I think it is only for active employees, though I'm not sure. Also, as a municipal employee, your husband would have a different plan.

Depends on your definition of "free". It is built in to the Public Service Health Care Plan, something all federal employees possess unless you opt out of it.

I think it is only for active employees, though I'm not sure. Also, as a municipal employee, your husband would have a different plan.

Thanks that is what I was thinking it is just Federal employees