diamonds

I will be going to St. Martin on a cruise in March and plan on replacing my wedding ring which I recently lost. Has anyone had good or bad experience in the past. Any info. would be appreciated.

Festivale 96

Fasination 98

Inspiration 2000

Maasdam 2002

Majesty of the Seas 2003

Adventure of the Seas 2005

My family and I have had very good experiences with Carribian Gems on Front Street. Ask for Manu. My mother has but several diamonds and tennis bracelets from him.

Carnival Ecstasy (93)

Carnival Holiday (94)

Carnival Fantasy (96 & 04)

Norwegian Dreamward (96)

everyotheryear;

Please see my posting from a couple of years ago over here.

We have visited them three times since then, and would not change our recommendations.

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thank you both very much for the information. I am not a big jewlery person, but I am excited and nervous to get a new wedding ring so all the information I can get will help.

Festivale 96

Fasination 98

Inspiration 2000

Maasdam 2002

Majesty of the Seas 2003

Adventure of the Seas 2005

I received an e-mail that the link to my earlier post didn't work, and the search function didn't find any of my previous posts, so I will add here a portion of the referenced information:

We much prefer shopping in St. Maarten over St. Thomas.

Jewelry, liquor and tablecloths are all great bargains.

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers.

We've been visiting St. Maarten since 1981, and dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for nearly 14 years. We really appreciate their attention, the selection and the great prices. They really specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and what makes a quality stone or setting. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is with the 50% off and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Front Street, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff.

For us this means buying from Shiva's or Trident. If you go, be sure to ask for Gary and Mary Ann's special discount. Work with any of their crew, but ask if Ajay, Varkha or Raj are available for special treatment.

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

Archived