What changes would you make if you were redesigning the Solstice class ships?

dzcruisers

Great idea for a thread.

1. Rip out the bedside storage and replace with traditional storage that has drawers. Maybe even taller storage with three or four drawers to make up for the lack of drawer space in the room -- the bedside table could end up higher than the top of the mattress, but that would be ok.

2. Put lights on the verandahs. If there has been a problem with people leaving their lights on overnight (which is what I was told) put timers on them so they go off automatically after say, two hours.

3. Get rid of all the drapery in the Sky Lounge -- it just keeps us from seeing the view.

4. Currently there are two knobs for hanging things on the back of the bathroom door. M-class ships have four knobs. Four is better.

More to come.

Great idea for a thread. We have not yet been on a Celebrity or Solstice cruise, but we have our first coming up in two months from Barcelona. This gives lots of ideas to help us be much better prepared.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 36,750 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Amen to cover for the aft cabins. :D These aft lovers would go back(pun intended) if they did that, otherwise, no way.

Bring back the hand-held shower for all cabins.

Replace the sofa in non-suite cabins (I have heard that the suites have decent ones but in Concierge and SV, they suck).

Turn down the volume of music in the Martini bar. On M-class ships that is a great place to socialize, but on our Solstice and Equinox cruises, we avoided it as we couldn't talk to our friends. Music is fine, but conversation is better and it is not necessary for the music to be so loud that conversation is impossible nor so soft that it can't be heard and enjoyed.

Water pitchers in all cabins.

Optional trays available at buffet for those who want them.

Drawers in night stands.

Hand-held removable shower head in all bathrooms.

Wall mounted swing-arm magnifying mirror in bathrooms.

Clothes line in showers.

Redesign or reposition storage over bed so short people can reach without climbing on bed.

Add storage shelves and/or larger drawers in cabin.

Better closet accessibility and more closet space.

Water pitchers in all cabins.

Optional trays available at buffet for those who want them.

Drawers in night stands.

Hand-held removable shower head in all bathrooms.

Wall mounted swing-arm magnifying mirror in bathrooms.

Clothes line in showers.

Redesign or reposition storage over bed so short people can reach without climbing on bed.

Add storage shelves and/or larger drawers in cabin.

Better closet accessibility and more closet space.

Great ideas! Keep it up everyone. Maybe X will notice.

What Bob said---turn down the volume of the music in certain places. I found the Martini bar unappealing because of the noise.

Also: two of the three shows performed by the Equinox singers and dancers were sullied by too much noise. Let these people sing, dance, and perform their acrobatics without a pulsating back-beat that sounds like Heavy Metal goes to the Disco a la 1978. Their first show, "Limelight" had excellent orchestral backing. The second two shows were really wrecked by the pounding, pulsating noise that comes nowhere close to music. Just disturbing din. The young performers deserve better than to be overshadowed by senseless noise!

Is the Eclipse Solstice class? We haven't been on it yet (doing a TA April 16 though) but just found out that it has no promenade deck! This is very disappointing to us, as we love to walk on the promenade.

I know it has a jogging track, but on TA's, especially, walking on that high deck can be pretty hard. Plus, I've heard that track has to go through lots of lounge chairs as well.

So, I wish they had promenade decks! The rest I'll have to report on when we get back.

Get rid of that "water feature" next to the pool. It does nothing and if it weren't there, the pool could be larger.

Build a lounge like the Rendezvous on the M Class. Putting the dance venue in the lobby of deck three near Guest Relations is stupid, plus the very loud music can be heard in the cabins near the aft elevator lobby.

Switch Murano and Tuscan Grille locations. Put Murano at the stern of the ship. Do a better job with the decor. Currently the Murano restaurants on Solstice class do not have Murano chandeliers or Venetian design. The Murano on Century is nicer and you can see outside. Personally, I think you could do away with Tuscan Grille all together and have Qsine and Silk Harvest.

I disagree about the balcony lights. Glad they don't have them. However new bedside tables that have space to put something on them and a couple drawers would be a huge improvement.

Larger closet--do not need so much storage in the bathroom...

clothesline in shower for wet suits...

nightstand drawer...

two small tables or a smaller coffee table-- it always has to be moved or avoided...

A real T pool--esp. for AquaClass

another adult only pool area instead of more eateries up on the lawn...

a genuine reggae band!!!!

Is the Eclipse Solstice class? We haven't been on it yet (doing a TA April 16 though) but just found out that it has no promenade deck! This is very disappointing to us, as we love to walk on the promenade.

I know it has a jogging track, but on TA's, especially, walking on that high deck can be pretty hard. Plus, I've heard that track has to go through lots of lounge chairs as well.

So, I wish they had promenade decks! The rest I'll have to report on when we get back.

Yes, the Eclipse is Solstice class. I recently found out the same thing after I booked the Equinox (also Solstice class) and I am also very disappointed. I haven't been yet either, but I agree that a proper walk-all-the-way-around promenade deck is my first thought. Preferably finished in teak like Holland America's ships.

Hi Everyone !

Before I share my "Wish List"... I'd like to make it clear, that we feel the Solstice Class ships are incredible. With that said, there's always room for improvement.

I've spent far too much time thinking about what I'd like to see in the next Class of Ships... but here's a few items:

-- Cabins: Agree with everything that's been mentioned. There's just not enough storage for longer sailings. I'd like to see a total redesign & relocation of the closets, and larger nightstands with drawers. I also vote for lighting on the Verandas. I like the idea of the lights shutting off after a period of time. A motion sensor could easily solve the problem. I'd add to it, by not allowing the lights to be on after Midnight, so as not to upset your neighbors !

-- I'd have the Cabin doors opening to the inside, as on the M & C Class ships. Ever try to open the door while use a cane, walker, or wheelchair ? It's downright scary.

-- Add the Aft Elevators again: We dearly miss the Aft Elevators, and will not book Aft Cabins, as the walk is too much for Seniors, and anyone who has mobility issues. IMHO, the S-Class dearly misses the 3rd Set of Elevators.

-- Redesign of Michael's Club: The L-Shaped design never worked from Day 1, yet Celebrity opted to continue with it. On most of the sailings I've been on, Michael's is deserted. Wonder why ? I don't. Furtther, I'd like to see Michael's return to the elegance and design of the M-Class ships.

Want a Specialty Pub venue ? I think it's a great idea. Considering this is about a new class of ship, why not create a new location for a Pub, and return Michael's to the venue most Celebrity fans have loved for years.

-- Main Dining Room: I'm not a fan of the stark white design & Neon banner near the ceiling. It's something I would expect to see on Carnival. Tables are way too close to each other. On a few sailings, the noise was SO loud, we couldn't hear what the person next to us was saying. Get rid of the Wine Cellar. Sure, it's beautiful, but it takes up too much valuable real estate, I'd sacrifice it for better table layout. I'd also like to see a return to the elegance of the Wood tones on the M-Class ships.

Solstice Theater: I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd love to see a return to ramps in the aisles instead of steps. I've seen many people trip or have difficulty with the steps. I thought the ramps were much easier to navigate.

Hot Glass Show: I have a feeling Celebrity is cooling (pardon the pun) on the idea, but I'd like to see it return on future ships. It's one of the most innovative concepts Celebrity has ever introduced, and has a huge following. I'd hate to see it "Blow" away.

I have dozens of additional ideas. Let's hope Celebrity will keep an eye on this thread.

Oh, I really enjoy the S class also. We did a TA on the Equinox and have a TA coming up on the Solstice. But there's a little room for improvement especially since the ships will be around for so long! You can tell the cabins were done by a designer, not a passenger. Love the Hot Glass show. It's much more interesting than it sounds.

Archived