Plantation/Swamp

ontariocruiser

Hi,

We drove around quite a bit last December.

For more informations about plantation homes have a look on

http://www.plantationparade.com/

There you will find the direct links to all plantation homes along the Great River Road (you will easily find the road signs with the green steering wheel and the steamboat indicating the Great River Road). Anyway I would recommend to follow the signs of the Great River Road which leads you to great places along the Mississippi River. I think a must is Oak Alley. Houmas House and Nottoway are great too. If you want to see more antebellum homes you have to drive up to Natchez. Vicksburg, too, has wonderful antebellum homes and a great driving tour (ask at the visitor center).

I searched for swamp tours last year and realized that they are cheaper the farther away you are from NOLA. I found one in Kraemer, LA, close to Vacherie (Oak Alley) for $ 15 a person. When we arrived the one I found was closed but there was another one (same price) which was nice. Unfortunately the alligators were hibernating in December so we only saw some in the private little zoo belonging to the swamp tour. The one I found was

http://www.torresswamptours.com/

We didn´t drive up from Vacherie but made a tour through Cajun Country so we came from the south. We went to New Iberia (Tabasco/Avery Island and Konriko rice mill) and proceeded to Lafayette and Opelousas (Tony Chachere´s spices).

Then we drove up to Natchez and Vicksburg (and back to New Orleans). It´s a bit driving but we saw a lot of nice places.

steamboats

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend Nottoway Plantation in Whitecastle not to far from NO. It's the biggest plantation home in the south, full of history and beautiful old oaks. It's my favorite one to visit I have been several times. They also have turned the carriage house into a wonderful resturant, very classy. You can stay over night there in the actual rooms you tour.

www.nottoway.com

Hope that helps,

Jan:)

the Evergreen is now available for drive up touring, I also greatly like the Laura, with the bonus of the great resturant next door the B&C. I like to cross the bridge then come back on the other side. If you have time, you can stop at the San Francisco Plantation.

Archived