Cruising with SD - Seeking advice

VicMackey

Hello,

I am in a wheelchair full time and have a service dog. I have been searching for a summer vacation for a while. I recently ran into someone who suggested that a cruise may be a good option. I was on a cruise about 15 years ago, but that was before I got the service dog. My dog is certified with an ID card, even though I know this is not a requirement. My concerns in regard to the service dog are (I realize these are general questions and may vary by ship):

Is there ample room for the dog to toilet?

This next one is kind of an odd question for a cruise ship, but my dog is used to regular exercise. Are there any areas where if I kept him on leash he could run around a little bit? Due to my physical disability, I am not able to really walk him so I typically throw a ball for him every day on a long line. This is his exercise/down time.

When I was on a cruise 15 years ago (up through New England and into Canada), it was a real bear getting off at ports with the wheelchair. I am wondering if someone can recommend a destination that has easy access in terms of the ports and has interesting activities for someone in a wheelchair. I can't get out of my manual wheelchair so this is an important element to me.

What cruise lines would be best given my situation?

What destination would be best given the information above?

I have done research on these boards and have seen various suggestions in regard to these question, but would like to get some input from some experienced cruisers based on my situation described above.

Thank you in advance.

Is there ample room for the dog to toilet? Your dog will have a 4x4 wooden box. Depending on the cruise line will depend what goes in it. The first few cruises our dog was unsure on little box thing. Now she uses it as soon she sees it for the first time each sail.

This next one is kind of an odd question for a cruise ship, but my dog is used to regular exercise. Are there any areas where if I kept him on leash he could run around a little bit?

In the evening we walk the jogging track. (sometimes I (husband has the disability) use the basket ball court after dinner, and through a ball for her to catch since it is fenced in. No one has ever said anything to us.)

When I was on a cruise 15 years ago (up through New England and into Canada), it was a real bear getting off at ports with the wheelchair. I am wondering if someone can recommend a destination that has easy access in terms of the ports and has interesting activities for someone in a wheelchair. I can't get out of my manual wheelchair so this is an important element to me.

What cruise lines would be best given my situation? Celebrity

What destination would be best given the information above? Stick to large ports that ships are able to pull into city and you do not need a tender for. Curcau, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Costa Rica (had wheel chiar shuttles that we used) are recommanded. Not recommanded are: Dominica, St. Thomas, San Juan (inless on Carnival or Princess -- other wise port is too far out) Progresso Mexico (100% not accessable MUST take non-wheel chair shuttle into town),

Hope you find a great cruise.

Thank you in advance.

Good Morning;

Check the other post on this board started by Wizard-of-Roz. She has a complete novel on "Cruising with a service dog." We have at least one other SD for a wheelchair bound cruiser. The thread is a wealth of information including what documentation and certifications you will need to just about anywhere you might want to go. Roz has some great ideas about exercising and toilet issues. She has been on 14 cruises with Ms. Brenda (SD). So please come join us and gather information and share what you have.

Good Morning;

Check the other post on this board started by Wizard-of-Roz. She has a complete novel on "Cruising with a service dog." We have at least one other SD for a wheelchair bound cruiser. The thread is a wealth of information including what documentation and certifications you will need to just about anywhere you might want to go. Roz has some great ideas about exercising and toilet issues. She has been on 14 cruises with Ms. Brenda (SD). So please come join us and gather information and share what you have.

Ditto...post this on the Cruising With a Service Dog thread:D

• 2 weeks later...
Is there ample room for the dog to toilet?

It depends on the cruiseline and what they end up giving you. I was told by Royal Caribbean that I'd get a 4'x4' box of mulch, but I was given a 2'x2' box (too small!). Because of that, now on my cruises I bring my own potty (I lay down the extra-large, extra-absorbant dog potty pads from PetEdge and put fake grass on top of it, making for a 3'x6' potty area for my cabin's balcony [3' is about as wide as the balcony and I get one of the extra-long balconies like an aft wrap-around corner balcony so I still have plenty of balcony for myself plus room for my dog to walk/jog off-leash]). I bring disinfectant with me to clean the fake grass with the morning we get off the ship. It is best to cut the grass in rectangles the size of one potty pad, as this makes it easy to change out the pads once soiled plus it makes putting the grass in a suitcase (carry-on sized, but I check it with the airline for the flights) a lot easier than a roll of grass.

This next one is kind of an odd question for a cruise ship, but my dog is used to regular exercise. Are there any areas where if I kept him on leash he could run around a little bit? Due to my physical disability, I am not able to really walk him so I typically throw a ball for him every day on a long line. This is his exercise/down time.

I was in the middle of writing about Royal Caribbean's helipads on the front of their ships, but then remembered the only way to get there is a short flight of stairs. :p So, unless you can use your arms to get up the stairs (I know a full-time wheelchair user who does that), that won't be an option. There's not really any place on a ship to exercise your dog. The RC helipad is the only open area I can think of (not to mention not a lot of ppl go there). If you get off at the ports, though, your dog will do plenty of walking around there.

Archived