Oasis-Just Returned, ask me

How long of a bus ride is it to dun river falls from falmouth. And were they the open busses that they cram everyone in? Glad you enjoyed your trip.

The ride was about 45 minutes, maybe longer. It was in a small motorcoach, and we were packed in :) There were 2 seats on the right, 1 seat on the left, and a fold out seat in the middle aisle. Every seat was taken. If I were to be very critical, which I'm not, I would tell you it was a pain to move around the bus and have access to your things. It was very cramped quarters, you didn't want to fold out the aisle seat until the people behind you were seated, so you might hang out waiting, but the "owner" of that seat was ready, blah, blah, blah. Really, not a major deal to me, but some people would be really bothered. BTW, don't sit in the wheel well seat, you have even less room.

If you had a choice to book again with Carnival or RC, which one would you do?:o

My first reaction is RC, hand's down. But it's like comparing apples to dog food :) Nothing can compare to Oasis, except the Allure. Our Carnival cruise was on the Tropicale, 17 years ago, before ships were anything like they are now. I would check out the newest ships on Carnival and perhaps sail, depending on cost. I would check out other lines as well. I'm not a dedicated RC cruiser, mostly because I'm not a frequent cruiser (maybe 1 cruise every 3 years-just a fluke that this year I took 2 within 4 months!)

Our family just returned from Oasis and I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks to CC I "cut and pasted" four pages of hints, ideas, recommendations, etc. to bring along. All were helpful. Just a quick couple of words about the 3 most criticized items, in my research, on CC:

1. Cabin Size-We had a family balcony cabin and it was roomy, no complaints

2. Crowds-Same as any other cruise ship, no complaints

3. Doughnuts-Weren't the best, weren't the worst. My kids liked them, my husband and I ate a few.

BTW, what does the "D" stand for in DH, DS, DD, etc......?

I've posted my "notes" on Google Documents. Here is the link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15QJfWVtTy9ArqobsbGLNN-6PbZKfh-SfvNvQxK0ghaw/edit?hl=en&authkey=CP3OrZ0L

Please note: These are items taken directly from CC. I have not put any of my own comments or validated/refuted the items in the notes. You are getting exactly what I found on CC. If you have questions or want my input regarding a specific item, please ask.

Also, There is one area that I deleted because my DH took care of it. It was concerning the issue of communicating on the boat. There is alot of information on CC about some phones the cruise line rents (DTech or something, I think) and also about Walkie Talkies. I will tell you what we did, and they worked perfectly without ANY interference or disruptions, in EVERY part of the ship we used them: We used "Midland X-tra Talk GXT" rechargeable walkie talkies. They use some special signal or waves, or something that I think requires a special permit. I found a very informative thread when I searched RC's forum. Sorry I can't be more specific, but you can check around and get the information you need. My DH is not available to give the technical information I would like to share with you! I can't even tell you the price, but we thought we could also use them when we go ATVing, skiing, etc.

Our family just returned from Oasis and I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks to CC I "cut and pasted" four pages of hints, ideas, recommendations, etc. to bring along. All were helpful. Just a quick couple of words about the 3 most criticized items, in my research, on CC:

1. Cabin Size-We had a family balcony cabin and it was roomy, no complaints

2. Crowds-Same as any other cruise ship, no complaints

3. Doughnuts-Weren't the best, weren't the worst. My kids liked them, my husband and I ate a few.

BTW, what does the "D" stand for in DH, DS, DD, etc......?

I've posted my "notes" on Google Documents. Here is the link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15QJfWVtTy9ArqobsbGLNN-6PbZKfh-SfvNvQxK0ghaw/edit?hl=en&authkey=CP3OrZ0L

Please note: These are items taken directly from CC. I have not put any of my own comments or validated/refuted the items in the notes. You are getting exactly what I found on CC. If you have questions or want my input regarding a specific item, please ask.

Also, There is one area that I deleted because my DH took care of it. It was concerning the issue of communicating on the boat. There is alot of information on CC about some phones the cruise line rents (DTech or something, I think) and also about Walkie Talkies. I will tell you what we did, and they worked perfectly without ANY interference or disruptions, in EVERY part of the ship we used them: We used "Midland X-tra Talk GXT" rechargeable walkie talkies. They use some special signal or waves, or something that I think requires a special permit. I found a very informative thread when I searched RC's forum. Sorry I can't be more specific, but you can check around and get the information you need. My DH is not available to give the technical information I would like to share with you! I can't even tell you the price, but we thought we could also use them when we go ATVing, skiing, etc.

Do you by chance have the cruise compasses saved? If so, would LOVE to see them.

I have them posted online -

Compasses , get your new Oasis of the Seas western compasses here!

I know a lot of people with upcoming western itinerary cruises on the Oasis, like us, have been looking for updated compasses reflecting the new schedule and swap in formal nights since the addition of Falmouth. These are from the April 2-8, 2011 sailing and are thanks to the hard work and effort of CC'ers CruisinBob in Mass and MisterMom! You guys rock! :D

I have'nt been able to find any recent Oasis western itinerary compasses or planners for the 14 and younger set. If anyone has any (teens 12-14, ages 3-11, Royal Babies & Tots, etc.) can you post a link here or email me (use my screen name floridapalms at att.net) and I will upload them and post link. Pretty please.

Thanks again to all you great CC'ers who are paying it forward by sharing reviews, pictures, compasses, etc. with those of us who are waiting our turn to sail on Oasis of the Seas.

~ Judy

~ Judy

OP: I read through your notes. Very nice to share them with everyone!!!

Question, what did you do in Falmouth, did you go to Time N Place by some chance/ I looked at pics online and it looks like the shoreline has seaweed and such, so Im curious if you have pictures and if the shoreline getting into the ocean is clean and free of "stuff"! :D Was it busy with at least some folks or was it really, really quiet? We'll be there with our kids, 22 and 18 and we dont look for totally quiet.

Anyone know if there is a beach to rent jet skiis? and, price?

Thanks!

OP: I read through your notes. Very nice to share them with everyone!!!

Question, what did you do in Falmouth, did you go to Time N Place by some chance/ I looked at pics online and it looks like the shoreline has seaweed and such, so Im curious if you have pictures and if the shoreline getting into the ocean is clean and free of "stuff"! :D Was it busy with at least some folks or was it really, really quiet? We'll be there with our kids, 22 and 18 and we dont look for totally quiet.

Anyone know if there is a beach to rent jet skiis? and, price?

Thanks!

We did the express Dunns River Falls excursion. I don't know about your jet ski question, but Falmouth was under construction. From our balcony I didn't see any beach areas.

Archived