Zuiderdam - formal wear

cheapskate2

You will see both. It depends on the cruise. I have found on European cruises more tuxes and on Caribbean fewer. Generally speaking maybe around 30-40% in tux and the rest in suits/sports jacket - just my best guess. My best rule of thumb - wear what you are most comfortable in :)

Either is very appropriate for formal night. :)

We are cruising on the Zuiderdam soon. On formal evenings, do men still wear a tux or is it a dark lounge suit. My partner has both but doesn't want to be the odd man out! Thanks for any tips.

We just got off the Maasdam this past Friday after an 11-day Caribbean cruise. I wore my tux and didn't feel the less bit like the odd man out. We were actually a bit surprised at the number of tuxes and dark suits for the three formal nights, probably the highest number we'd seen in a couple of cruises and way more than a similar cruise on the Veendam a few years ago. Out of a full ship I'd say we didn't see more than a handful of people who dressed for the evening and saw none in the main dining room who didn't. Again, not all tuxes but still quite a few and certainly a lot of dark suits, sports coats, etc.

Thanks for your replies. It's nice to know that there is a choice and is not too rigid, especially in the Caribbean.

You have a choice everywhere and not just in the Caribbean...A tux and suit are not required...According to the HAL dress code a jacket and tie is acceptable on all HAL cruises.

Archived