Live from the Ocean Princess - April 13-29

paul929207

Day 9 – At Sea

The temperature is rising as we head south, so the pool was busier today than it has been.

Today was the second formal night and the repeat passenger party. Here are the numbers:

Elite – 78

Platinum – 137

Gold – 207

Somewhere around 75 first timers. Number of passengers is lower because of cancelations following the disaster in Japan.

Most traveled 1054

Second 1044

Third 480

Day 10 – Da Nang, Vietnam

We had never been to this port, so we took a full day tour. The tour, Hue and the Perfume River, took us to the imperial city of Hue (pronounced Way), which was the capital of Vietnam from 1802 to 1945. There was first visited the citadel, where the emperors lived and worked. After that, we went to a large pagoda on the banks of the Perfume River. From there, we boarded dragon boats for a 45 minute cruise to the restaurant where we had the included lunch. The lunch was a buffet and had plenty for any taste. The only problem was six buses arrived at the same time, so we had 150 or 200 people all lined up at once. Next was a stop at a market. We did not buy anything and did not see anyone else doing so. The last stop was the elaborate burial sites for one of the emperors. Then it was back to the ship and sailaway.

Princess offered a free shuttle to a resort. Taxies were available at the resort, but not at the pier.

Should have been on this one; would have been 3rd. ;) With number posted, I know you don't have the pleasure of the company of the Big Tippers. :rolleyes:

No, we lucked out, they got off in Shanghai as we boarded. :) Although we have done real well at trivia. I would not have minded sticking our scores you know where.

Hope you have a great cruise. We are booked on the Ocean for Dec.2nd and any comments or info on the ship itself, the cabins, service, etc. would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Ricky and Jack

Day 11 –at sea

I forgot to mention yesterday, US$ are accepted nearly everywhere in Vietnam. This was not the case in the other countries we have visited.

We received notification last night that we would not be stopping in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and would stop at both Aqaba, Jordan and Safaga, Egypt. The reason given is security concerns and problems obtaining visas.

Pia,

Hutch will be on the Diamond on the Fall, 2011.

Day 11 –at sea

I forgot to mention yesterday, US$ are accepted nearly everywhere in Vietnam. This was not the case in the other countries we have visited.

We received notification last night that we would not be stopping in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and would stop at both Aqaba, Jordan and Safaga, Egypt. The reason given is security concerns and problems obtaining visas.

Pia,

Hutch will be on the Diamond on the Fall, 2011.

Thank you, Paul. You've just made my day. :D

Do you know if the anytime dining room on the Ocean has tables for two? Thank you.

There is only one MDR on the Ocean Princess and it is used for Traditional Dining. It has some tables for two, but most are just split off about 8 inches from another table.

There is only one MDR on the Ocean Princess and it is used for Traditional Dining. It has some tables for two, but most are just split off about 8 inches from another table.

Day 12 – Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (formerly Saigon)

A number of people are leaving us for a few days for a tour to Angkor Wat, Cambodia. At about 100 square miles, it is arguably the largest religious site in the world. They will be touring HCM this morning, flying to Siem Reap, Cambodia late afternoon, spending a day at Angkor Wat, then Flying to Bangkok the next day to rejoin the ship.

We have been to HCM several times, so we will not be taking a tour. There are a few vendors on the pier near the ship. There is a free shuttle to a town about 40 minutes from the ship, but not much there. However, there are taxis, which are not available at the pier.

They seem to have the bistro open nearly every evening. I may have missed another time, but the only evening I know of without it was the first night in Hong Kong.

Day 12 – Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (formerly Saigon)

They seem to have the bistro open nearly every evening. I may have missed another time, but the only evening I know of without it was the first night in Hong Kong.

It's been several years since we were on the little ships, but at that time the Bistro was doing 3 days continental; 3 days Italian. Do you know if that's the way they are still doing it?

Pia - when we were on the Ocean P last June it was doing the every other day bistro/Italian rotation and also had buffet service part of the time.

Paul - thanks for the live - we're doing the Rome to Singapore with Pia in the fall and it is great to have your comments! Sounds like there are a lot of 'on the fly' itinerary changes - will make doing private excursions a little dicey from the sound of it. If you have a chance, greetings from us to the wonderful Capt. Ravera (he did a renewal of vows ceremony for Dennis & me on the Norwegian Fjords cruise last June - it was nicer than our wedding!) and to Hutch as well - we sailed with him (and Pia and Mike) on Pacific Princess in the Amazon.

JohnLauben - you are boarding in Singapore? - any chance you'll grace us with a "live" too?? Would really like to hear how you find the Mid-East region ports.

I think we will stay away from them now......we usually get on obstructed view as they are a good deal sometimes but for 21 days my wife wants somewhere nice to sit rather than on the bed all the time....nice ship though the smaller ones....we like them....Ken

We were in 6036 on the Ocean, and it was almost completely unobstructed, not sure/ don't remember if 6035 is the mirror image of 6036, but we were very have with the view in 6036, and would definitely booked it again

Srpilo

JohnLauben - you are boarding in Singapore? - any chance you'll grace us with a "live" too?? Would really like to hear how you find the Mid-East region ports.

Donna ... I'll be on from Singapore to Rome. I will be posting. I have also booked the 2 day shore excursion to the Taj Mahal ... that should be a trip!

Donna ... I'll be on from Singapore to Rome. I will be posting. I have also booked the 2 day shore excursion to the Taj Mahal ... that should be a trip!

Hi John:

Since our excursion info hasn't come up yet (we're on with Donna), can you give us a hint as to what Princess is charging for the 2 day Taj. Thanks.

I'll be watching for your posts - We're looking at the 4 day Taj excursion from Dubai - pricey, don't know, of course, if it will be offered, but would give us more time in Agra, a chance to see the Taj at dawn, and we'd miss Oman and two sea days. Wouldn't work in your direction though. Will be very anxious to see if you think it was worth the price, in any event.

Hi John:

Since our excursion info hasn't come up yet (we're on with Donna), can you give us a hint as to what Princess is charging for the 2 day Taj. Thanks.

Be seated! For the 2 day trip, double occupancy is $1399 per person; single occupancy is $1699. This excursion must be booked at least 30 days before the start of the cruise, and is non-refundable after 30 days. Below is the listed itinerary for the shore excursion in May.

DAY ONE - COCHIN / DELHI

Board your motorcoach for a brief drive of Cochin and then an early buffet lunch before your approximately three hour flight to Delhi. On arrival into Delhi transfer to your motorcoach for a sightseeing drive passing such sites as the Lakshmi Narin Temple, India Gate, secretariat buildings, the impressive Rajpath and the High Court Building.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

St. Francis Church - Fort Cochin, the oldest European community in India, is the site of St. Francis Church, built by Franciscan friars in 1510.

Chinese Fishing Nets - The graceful cantilevered fishing nets festooning the harbor were introduced in the 14th century by Chinese traders from the court of Kublai Khan.

DINNER & ACCOMMODATIONS

Dinner and overnight lodging is at a hotel in Delhi.

DAY TWO - DELHI/AGRA

Wake early in the morning for a train trip through the Indian countryside to Agra, once the capital of the Mughal Empire.

TRAIN RIDE TO AGRA

Transfer by motorcoach to the train station for your approximately two-hour non-stop train ride to Agra. Coffee and rolls will be available at your Delhi hotel before departing. In the afternoon you will visit the Agra Fort, then the Taj Mahal until sunset.

WHAT YOU VISIT IN AGRA

Agra Fort - The red sandstone fortress, located near the Taj Mahal, was the seat of Mughal political and military power. The interior features marble throne rooms, audience halls, and a central courtyard with a magnificent fountain. Shah Jehan was imprisoned here by his son and successor Aurangzeb.

Taj Mahal - One of the wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal is a mausoleum built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan in 1653 in tribute to his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal. You pass through the entrance corridor of a battlement to discover the Taj rising above its gardens, its mirror image reflected in a graceful pool. The marble exterior features a central dome surrounded by four smaller domes. The interior boasts marble walls with inlays of precious stones and inscriptions from the Koran. A translucent screen of carved marble surrounds the sarcophagi of the Emperor and his Queen. At sunset, return to your hotel for dinner and a well deserved night's rest.

SHOPPING

Marble Inlay Factory - Near the Taj, several small artisanal factories and shops preserve the Mughal tradition of white marble inlaid with precious and semiprecious stones. Browse the shops for souvenirs, U.S. dollars and credit cards are accepted.

DINNER AND KATHAK PEFROMANCE

Elaborate costumes and makeup, pantomime, music, drama and poetry bring classical Indian myths to life in the "story play," a rigorous and beautiful art form dating to the 17th century. The performance takes place prior to dinner at your hotel.

ACCOMMODATIONS

Overnight lodging is at a hotel in Agra.

DAY THREE - AGRA / DELHI / MUMBAI

Following an early breakfast at the hotel, board your motorcoach and the approximately five-hour drive to the Delhi pausing for a snack en route. On arrival into Delhi, board your flight to Mumbai. Light snacks will be served on your flight.

FLIGHT TO MUMBAI (BOMBAY)

Travel by motorcoach to the airport. A snack is served during your approximately two-hour flight to Mumbai. On landing, transfer to motorcoaches for an orientation tour of Mumbai before returning to the ship.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY

Gateway of India - A legacy of the Raj, the stone archway was built to commemorate the imperial visit of King George V in 1911.

Thank you John. This is sort of what I recalled from our 2005 cruise, but of course the pricing has gone up by a few hundred dollars. We didn't do it then; don't know what we will do now. It's all up to Mike. His call.

I'll be watching for your posts - We're looking at the 4 day Taj excursion from Dubai - pricey, don't know, of course, if it will be offered, but would give us more time in Agra, a chance to see the Taj at dawn, and we'd miss Oman and two sea days. Wouldn't work in your direction though. Will be very anxious to see if you think it was worth the price, in any event.

Thank you John. This is sort of what I recalled from our 2005 cruise, but of course the pricing has gone up by a few hundred dollars. We didn't do it then; don't know what we will do now. It's all up to Mike. His call.

We were on the cruise in 2005 with Pia and Mike and we did the India Overland.

Best land tour we have ever done.

Thought long and hard before hand as it was pricey, but decided it was now or never , and do not regret doing it for one moment.

Each year , they design the tour to fit in with the ships itinerary. We had a 4 day, 3 night tour. We left in Colombo, flew to Chennai, then up to New Delhi. From there were bussed to Agra and Jaipur and met up with the ship again in Mumbai.

We were on the cruise in 2005 with Pia and Mike and we did the India Overland.

Best land tour we have ever done.

Thought long and hard before hand as it was pricey, but decided it was now or never , and do not regret doing it for one moment.

Each year , they design the tour to fit in with the ships itinerary. We had a 4 day, 3 night tour. We left in Colombo, flew to Chennai, then up to New Delhi. From there were bussed to Agra and Jaipur and met up with the ship again in Mumbai.

Not sure yet since the shorex haven't come out, but I believe the one that will be offered for our cruise will be 4 nights; starting in Dubai and ending in Mumbai. This of course just added lots more $$$ to it. I believe Mike is more inclined to consider this one over the 2 day. We'll see.

Meanwhile, sorry to hijack your thread Paul. You know how chatty I can be. :D

Not sure yet since the shorex haven't come out, but I believe the one that will be offered for our cruise will be 4 nights; starting in Dubai and ending in Mumbai. This of course just added lots more $$$ to it. I believe Mike is more inclined to consider this one over the 2 day. We'll see.

Meanwhile, sorry to hijack your thread Paul. You know how chatty I can be. :D

No problem. We are just offered a 2 night excursion from Cochin, going to Agra for the Taj and rejoining the ship in Mumbai.

No problem. We are just offered a 2 night excursion from Cochin, going to Agra for the Taj and rejoining the ship in Mumbai.

Day 14 – Bangkok

There is a free shuttle to Pattaya, a resort hotel. US$ will be taken by taxis and vendors at the pier and most vendors in markets. Thai baht will be required for admission fees and at most stores.

We took the shuttle to Pattaya at 8am, arriving about 8:45. The first return shuttle was at 11am. Many of the shops did not open until 11am. I would recommend waiting until at least 10am for the shuttle. Pattaya was a nice resort town. Lots of hotels, restaurants, bars and gift shops. There is a fairly narrow beach with chairs and umbrellas available for rent. There are also other water activities, like parasailing and jet skis.

Archived