Backpackers Travel Agency - Istanbul

I am researching possible tours for Istanbul (we will be there for 2 days on our cruise in July -on a Weds. and Thurs.). Though we realize it is easy to DIY, we would feel more comfortable (and more informed) using a tour. That being said....

Has anyone ever used Backpackers Travel Agency? http://www.backpackerstravel.net/index.php?pid=1&id=68

With all the other tours I've seen this one seems too good to be true. Plus I've read no mention of it. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. If anyone has any other advice please feel free! Thank you! :D

• 1 month later...

I've not heard of this company before but I used to live in Turkey and often went to Istanbul for the weekends or a break. The tours on the link are easily doable yourself with a guidebook (DK if you are a visual person has particularly attractive drawings). Most of the places you visit have very little cost in terms of entry fee too. Everyone in the Sultanhamet area speaks English and will generally help you out if you get confused but to give you an idea of how close things are: If you were standing with your back against Sultanhamet (the Blue Mosque) you'd have the Hagia Sofia right in front of you across the cobbled pavement and garden (a minute or two to get past the people and you are there). To your left and up the tram line (buy your jetons before you get on) is the Grand Bazaar/Kapalı Çarşısı, so you don't even have to walk it. Topkapi Palace is behind the Hagia Sofia and further down the hill is the Spice Bazaar/Mısır Çarşısı. Also in the immediate area is the Cistern. Honestly it's so easy and there are plenty of places in the area to eat good food - some of the hotels have resturants on the roof terrace for nice views of the Bospherous. Do try the gozleme when you are there - it's lovely.

We used Backpackers Travel for transportation to and from the airport when we flew in and out of Istanbul last Sept. They were waiting for us on arrival and were there on time when we were heading out. We were very pleased with the service they provided and imagine that using them for a tour would be equally great, but this was our second trip to Isanbul so we were comfortable getting around on our own and didn't use their tour services. Ellen

We used Backpackers Travel for transportation to and from the airport when we flew in and out of Istanbul last Sept. They were waiting for us on arrival and were there on time when we were heading out. We were very pleased with the service they provided and imagine that using them for a tour would be equally great, but this was our second trip to Isanbul so we were comfortable getting around on our own and didn't use their tour services. Ellen

Glad that you had a positive experience with them...we are booked for transfer from airport to hotel in November. Not using them for tours for we are comfortable doing Istanbul DIY. Will be there 3 days staying in a hotel prior to cruise plus ship will overnight there before sailing so we actually have 4 1/2 days to explore the city.

We will also be in Istanbul on Holland America the first week of August. We booked with Ekol Travel for day two - they seem to get good reviews. BUT we arrive 4 pm the first day and do not want to cruise the Bosphorus on an evening excursion. Instead we want to get to ASIA. Wondering how easy and/or safe it is to take a ferry to the Asian part of Istanbul and what to do there.

We will also be in Istanbul on Holland America the first week of August. We booked with Ekol Travel for day two - they seem to get good reviews. BUT we arrive 4 pm the first day and do not want to cruise the Bosphorus on an evening excursion. Instead we want to get to ASIA. Wondering how easy and/or safe it is to take a ferry to the Asian part of Istanbul and what to do there.

Very easy & cheap by very frequent ferry from Eminonu, near the south (Sultanahmet) side of Galata Bridge. Uskudar is probably the best ferry stop on the Asian side. You'll need local money for the ferry.

Alternatively you could take a taxi over the new Bosphorus Bridge.

Rode the ferries a lot. Fun, relaxing, cheap. But not been to the Asian side - we were told it isn't worth visiting, more of a suburban dormitory area. But not regarded as unsafe.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/ido_fy_map.html

I was just in Turkey for a land vacation in April, and I used backpackers travel for their Chora Church tour. Excellent tour and guide. They provided everything they promised. I would recommend this company.

Archived