Costco Snorkeling Set

thescot123

Stopped by my local costco, and noticed that they have a US Divers snorkeling set for $39. This has travel size fins, mesh bag, silicone mask with purge and snorkel with purge.

Has anyone used these sets from Costco. Will be leaving for a cruise in less than two weeks and are wondering if I should take my own gear.

Stopped by my local costco, and noticed that they have a US Divers snorkeling set for $39. This has travel size fins, mesh bag, silicone mask with purge and snorkel with purge.

Has anyone used these sets from Costco. Will be leaving for a cruise in less than two weeks and are wondering if I should take my own gear.

That is a good price for a snorkel set and mesh bag.

Ship snorkel excursions include the gear.

If you want to go to the beach on your own, you probably will need your own gear if you want to snorkel.

I like using my own gear for health reasons. You never know who used the snorkel before you and if the vendor actually cleaned the equipment between use. I have heard horror stories.

The down side of bringing your own gear is that it takes up space in your luggage and adds extra weight to your bags.

If you are a casual snorkeler, that set is fine, just MAKE SURE THE MASK FITS YOUR FACE. There is nothing more important than that. As for taking up space in your luggage, I have not had a problem with that. I put the fins in first, side by side, the mask in its box in a corner, and pack t-shirts, socks, and underwear around them all. No muss, no fuss. Most luggage now is on wheels, so unless you are flying and have a weight limit, the weight should be a non-issue.

Thanks for all your inputs. The mask is a one size fits all. I guess the best way to check the fit is to see if the mask sticks to your face while sucking through the nose. Is that the correct way?

The fins are those travel size so should not be an issue in my bag.

Thanks for all your inputs. The mask is a one size fits all. I guess the best way to check the fit is to see if the mask sticks to your face while sucking through the nose. Is that the correct way?

Well, one size fits all doesn't necessarily mean it really fits all. As far as trying the mask, you don't want to suck in through the nose. You want to hold your breath while trying it on. Press it down on your face like a suction cup and let go. It should stay on for a few seconds before it falls off. If it doesn't stick at all it is a bad fit (if you suck through your nose a bad fitting mask may still say on).

We got the slightly more expensive set from costco and got lucky that it worked for both of us. The purge valve on my mask broke though after trying to equalize my ears a few times. Yours probably won't have that so you probably won't have to worry about that. I have upgraded all of my snorkel gear since, but still think it was a good investment since we snorkeled on our own from shore in every port. Have fun!

Well, one size fits all doesn't necessarily mean it really fits all. As far as trying the mask, you don't want to suck in through the nose. You want to hold your breath while trying it on. Press it down on your face like a suction cup and let go. It should stay on for a few seconds before it falls off. If it doesn't stick at all it is a bad fit (if you suck through your nose a bad fitting mask may still say on).

We got the slightly more expensive set from costco and got lucky that it worked for both of us. The purge valve on my mask broke though after trying to equalize my ears a few times. Yours probably won't have that so you probably won't have to worry about that. I have upgraded all of my snorkel gear since, but still think it was a good investment since we snorkeled on our own from shore in every port. Have fun!

The costco set has a mask with a nose purge valve. I have attached a image from the box.

IMG_0328.jpg.996b250916e322c6c6d78015211119db.jpg

I also bought the gear from Costco and everything fit and worked fine for me. I did however, go to the pool and try everything out before my cruise.

I also found I did not need the full fins the US Divers set included and have invested into a set of short fins, which is all I really need for a Caribbean cruise.

Some masks with purge valves work fine but they have a higher risk of failing(like my US Divers mask). If you plan on staying on the surface it would be less of a problem. It is mostly if you plan on diving down and need to pinch your nose to equalize your ears that you can have issues. It puts a lot of stress on the valve seams and mine sprung a leak and was useless the rest of the day.

Just a note to add...I carry a spare mask with me as they are not very expensive. Most places where you will snorkel, have a dive shop somewhere near by or on the way. The other option I use, is nose plug and a GOOD pair of swim goggles. It is just a little tricky to get the snorkel tube attatched to the goggle strap. I only surface snorkel also.

Well, finally went to costco to purchase this snorkel set for $39. The fins are light and fit my suitcase perfectly. Tried the mask and it stays on my face when testing. It does have the nose purge valve so i will be careful when pressing my nose like the previous post suggested.

A friend has lent me her vest so I don't have to rent anything. the good thing is that it comes with a mesh bag which is good. If the mask fails then I will return to costco after the vacation. Costco has a good return policy, but I only will return any item if it breaks within 30 days.

can't wait as the cruise in under 9 days.

Archived