Wireless Internet 'Hot Spots'

erctey

I'm taking my laptop with a wireless card in it, on the Hal Volendam 4/14/04. Has anyone had any experience with this method of Internet access on board a ship? I'm thinking of cost/ease of use. Is it a practical thing to do? I'm also thinking of sending digital pictures home. Thanks for any advice. Eric

Hi, erctey -

You may want to check on the HAL portion of these boards regarding wireless access on the Volendam. You may also want to call HAL directly, but the boards will probably be a more accurate source of info!

I know that the new Queen Mary 2 (owned by the same company that owns HAL) has internet hot spots, but I've never seen it on any other cruiseship. Normally, on any modern ship there will be an internet cafe with access at pretty steep prices ($.75 minute on Celebrity, for example), some discounted packages, and some access from staterooms through a modem.

There are never enough days at sea!

I can add to this

Carnival DOES have them, Princess does not. When traveling, if you have time in airports to kill and are close to an AirTran area, all their terminal areas have it.

Here's more:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/internet_access_

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/04

Star Princess 10/04

Carnival Spirit 12/04

• 3 weeks later...

We were on HAL's Ryndam this month and had our wireless laptops. There is a minor fee in addition to the normal rate-$50 for 100 minutes or $100 for 250 minutes. There were hot spots near the internet center and supposedly anwhere around the atrium and in one of the lounges, but we could not find the one in the lounge. The internet center director will advise you of full costs and hot spots on the Volendam. Hope this helps!

Bill S

-------

Archived