Have you done a Bermuda cruise in September? Tell me about it, please.

jeh4554

We are considering a late September cruise to Bermuda. I believe this is hurricane season, so I am interested to know if any of you have done this and how you liked it. Also did you encounter rough weather?

I went to Burmuda from NY in Sept. one time. The seas were rough and the weather chilly until we got to Bermuda..then beautiful weather but then cold coming back to NY. I would not do it again and I wish there were more cruises to Bermuda that left from Florida.

We went in mid October, still hurricane season, and had calm seas the whole way. First and last day were cool, but still nice enough to be outdoors. I would do it again in a heart beat. There is just no predicting the weather!!

September can be a lovely time to visit Bermuda. The water is warm but the days may not be quite so hot as in mid-summer.

It is the peak of hurricane season, but the chances of a storm impacting a particular location are rather small. Nonetheless, is it wise to understand that in the case of a storm, a Bermuda cruise departing from the East/Northeast U.S. will likely visit New England instead.

Unless a tropical system impacts the area, seas are generally as calm in September as one can expect, and most of the larger ships make the crossing with few noticing even more agitated seas.

All in all a fine time to visit.

Guest maddycat

Hurricane season is May through November. Cruise ships visit Bermuda from April through October. If you want to avoid hurricane season your only choice would be a cruise in April.

We've cruised to Bermuda in both the spring and the fall. We've encountered both smooth and rough seas. You never know when the seas will be rough. The Atlantic is usually rougher than the Caribbean.

We have sailed on Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda the 2nd week of September and absolutely loved it. We had great weather both on the sea days & while in Bermuda. The water is still warm in September too for swimming.

In case of storms, as already stated, the cruise will head north to New England generally. That hasn't happened to us but even though we live in New England it wouldn't matter because we would be cruising :)

Try Bermuda you will love it! There are many folks here who have done this trip repeatedly. We are heading back there this Saturday and then again 9/10/11 :D

Several years ago took a Bermuda cruise out of New York. Had a wonderful time and loved Bermuda. Had to leave one day early due to an approaching hurricane. Had an extra sea day this way. Bermuda is a wonderful island.

We've been to Bermuda ten times from May to October. Other than July and August usually being hot and humid the weather is unpredictable. May and early June are our favorites and seas have been calm. The roughest seas we've had was in October but weather in Bermuda was lovely, warm sunny days with cool evenings. Septmeber weather was much the same, enjoyed calm seas but that is high hurricane season and there is no guarantee that your ship will end up in Bermuda. If that is important to you I wouldn't book during hurricane season, if you are flexible with your destination, not a problem. Over the years I've ecountered many unhappy cruisers when the ship was diverted, if you read the fine print they don't compensate you for such.

This year we've chosen to go in May. Whatever you decide Bermuda is sure to delight.

We are considering a late September cruise to Bermuda. I believe this is hurricane season, so I am interested to know if any of you have done this and how you liked it. Also did you encounter rough weather?

We went end of August/beginning of Sept last year from NYC while hurricanes Fiona and Earl were churning up the seas. The ocean was very rough and the Dawn rocked like crazy! Never saw a drop of rain...it was sunny and warm the entire cruise. I credit this to the captain...we didn't know where we were going for a couple of days. He made the decision at the last minute to go ahead and take us to Bermuda. We left Bermuda a couple of hours ahead of schedule to miss another storm that hit Bermuda. Aside from the rocking we didn't know there were storms out there and since we don't get seasick...it didn't matter.

Sailed a few times in Sept.

Both times the weather made for rough seas but strangely enough both were on the way home.

One trip we encountered a tropical storm and the other was a regular front.

It did make the last sea day chilly, windy and difficult to hang out by the pool. That night there were not too many at dinner as the rough seas were bothering a lot of people. I personally loved it and would do it again as the weather in Bermuda was perfect, we had a nice time sailing to Bermuda and the price was right.

September is my favorite time to go to Bermuda. The kids are back at school, the weather is less humid, and the water is warm cause it has had all summer to warm up. We have had rocky cruises and smooth cruises to Bermuda. Luck of the draw. You will love it!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all this valuable information. I am torn between doing a Bermuda cruise from NY on september 18th vs. Sept 25th. Does anyone think a week would make a huge difference? I know hurricane season is unpredictable but they say October is a more rainy month so I thought mid-september may be better. Thanks again!

Thank you for all this valuable information. I am torn between doing a Bermuda cruise from NY on september 18th vs. Sept 25th. Does anyone think a week would make a huge difference? I know hurricane season is unpredictable but they say October is a more rainy month so I thought mid-september may be better. Thanks again!

I'm looking at Explorer on Sept 24 but now I'm nervous about the previous poster who said they would re-route to New England if there were storms. There is NO WAY I want to cruise to New England...I have no desire to go there (been there, done that) and could drive there if I did :eek: Now I don't know what to do! Yikes :rolleyes:

I hope this makes you feel better about cruising in september. Last year we went Aug. 28th the first week of september technically.

We knew sailing we were heading into a hurricane , Capt Rik of the HAL Veendam did a terrific job to steer us no where near it and we basically had calm seas. Coming home we had a hurricane behind us and again a wonderful job. We left bermuda a few hours early which wasn't an issue as Holland America to Bermuda you stay an extra day in bermuda vs other cruise lines. So.... no rough seas either way , perfect weather in Bermuda the entire week ...

We've also been there 4x in october and 1x the last week into first week of november and again , perfect weather.

We go again this october and hope we will be as lucky .

I hope you have a wonderful time whenever you choose to go.

Bermuda really is spectacular :)

Last year during hurricane Igor around sept 16th NCL rerouted the Spirit from Bermuda to Charleston and the Bahamas. hopefully the same would be done in the future. I have decided on sept. As previously mentioned, far less kids and the fares are too good to pass up.

We've gone several times in Sept and into early Oct, too. One year, a hurricane hit Bermuda a couple of days before we left NY. There were still downed trees and power lines in Bermuda and the Crystal Caves were closed, but the sea was like glass and the weather perfect coming, going and while there. As it is hurrcane season.....you never know. Last year Sept, friends were taking NCL out of Boston and ended up in Charleston and Fla. Same week, other friends were on HAL out of NY and ended up in Nassau.

Last year during hurricane Igor around sept 16th NCL rerouted the Spirit from Bermuda to Charleston and the Bahamas. hopefully the same would be done in the future. I have decided on sept. As previously mentioned, far less kids and the fares are too good to pass up.

We were on this cruise out of Boston, and we did not reroute to Charleston. We diverted first to Canaveral and then to Nassau. The only rocky seas were experienced on the way home, but otherwise, we had a good sailing. The temperature in Nassau was 104 0n the day we were there!

I'm looking at Explorer on Sept 24 but now I'm nervous about the previous poster who said they would re-route to New England if there were storms. There is NO WAY I want to cruise to New England...I have no desire to go there (been there, done that) and could drive there if I did :eek: Now I don't know what to do! Yikes :rolleyes:

I'm booked on the Explorer for 9/24. Where would the ship go if it's only a 5 night cruise? I always thought they had to go to at least one foreign port.

All our cruises (double digits) have been in Set. or Oct. and we were never diverted. There are far less cruises that are diverted although I have no idea what the perdentage actually might be. If you in NO WAY, as you said, want to go to New England, you might have to reconsider Bermuda. You just have to accept that the possibility always exists.

Last year we sailed Aug. 28th on HAL.. A hurricane was out there and another forming which concerned all cruises leaving from NYC area.

While NCL re routed to Bahamas the HAL Veendam stayed with Bermuda. We thought this was a time we would have gone to New England but it didn't happen.

All our cruises (double digits) have been in Set. or Oct. and we were never diverted. There are far less cruises that are diverted although I have no idea what the perdentage actually might be. If you in NO WAY, as you said, want to go to New England, you might have to reconsider Bermuda. You just have to accept that the possibility always exists.

Wife just booked our first cruise to Bermuda on the Carnival Miracle leaving out of NYC on 9-11-11. Can't wait, especially since this will also be our first back to back cruise as well. Unfortunately not able to stay in the same cabin since someone else booked the cabin before us. Oh well, if this is the only inconvienence, we're doing real good. With all that is available it is very difficult on what to do. Would like to go on a tour of the island but, I have only been able to find out about one tour that is $55.00 pp ( a little high for me) and the guide usually takes 6 to 8 people. I am sure there are lots of guides "fighting" for business which probably means we will have to wait some time before he gets his van filled with people. Had that same expierience in Freeport, Bahamas. We waited for over a half hour and he didn't get anybody else and he wasn't leaving, so we left. Went back on the ship. Had a great relaxing day on the boat. Don't want to do that in Bermuda though. :)

Archived