First time cruiser

Hi I will be sailing on the Tomson Dream on the 14th June. Can anybody share any tips for a first time cruiser? Do I check in on the ship as same as in a hotel? and as I have a drinks package do I get a wristband or some sort of card. Sorry to be so stupid.

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the world of cruising. I am sure you are going to get lots of feedback. I would suggest that you search for other First time cruising topics on this website. You will find a wealth of information . All cruisers are 'processed' before boarding the ship. At the airport you will be met by several Thomson rep's. One is normally near passenger arrivals, the other will be outside near various coaches. You will be directed to the correct coach number, board and then taken to the ship arrival centre for processing.

Several things happen during processing. You will need to furnish a credit card to which any on board purchases can be charged to, this would include excursions. This information is held on your record until you go home. The second thing that will happen is that each member of your party will have their picture taken & an Embarkment card issued. These cards are vital and must be kept safe. You must show them each and every time that you get on or off the ship. It allows them to keep track of who is onboard or not, as the case maybe. Your card will be programed to show your A.I drinks package. Each time that you order a drink you will need to hand over your card, this will be scanned & returned to you along with a receipt. Any one member of your immediate party ( ex: husband & wife) can use their card to cover the other. All of the Thomson ship's operate on a cashless system, you will receive a statement of charges twice during your stay so that you can keep track of things.

Don't ever feel silly about asking questions. No need to feel unsettled, you will be well looked after.

P.S - Speaking of feeling unsettled, my biggest fear was that of sea sickness. I worried months in advance of our very first departure. My best advice would be if you or yours is the least bit concerned, go prepared. I can highly recommend Boots own brand of travel sickness tablet. Unlike other brands, they begin to work with in 30 min. of taking them. Beware of those which require you to take them several hours in advance. You don't want to take anything unless you have to. I found with the Boots brand I could keep them with me and then at the very first sign I would take one.

We go on our next cruise in the autumn for 2 weeks, can't wait.

I used the travel bands. I too was unsure about sea sickness, but these turned out to be what I needed.

I got sunburnt one day, so kept them off and kept my fingers crossed. I was OK, so kept them off, just putting them back on when the sea got a bit rough. We had force 9 gales, but then we were sailing in October!

Thanks Tina for sea sickness tip

Going to give Boots own travel sickness tablets a try this time. I didn't know they did them. I can't use Stugeron as they knock me out. Last time I had one I decided to lay down about 7pm for a short while, the next thing I knew it was 8am the following morning:(. I have been using Sea-Legs but I am having trouble getting them at the min. I like that they start to work after 30mins as I always leave it too late taking anything else cos I try to avoid it if I can.

Mary

You can get the bands from Poundland or Poundworld. Worked great for hubby but not for me, I couldn't seem to get the little ball in the right spot on my wrist. I took the tablets and we both lay down for an hour and were ok after that, I don't think it's good to remain upright or try to walk about if it's rough. You should be fine in June though, we were sailing at the end of March and even then it was only for one evening.:)

Jan

Hi I will be sailing on the Tomson Dream on the 14th June. Can anybody share any tips for a first time cruiser? Do I check in on the ship as same as in a hotel? and as I have a drinks package do I get a wristband or some sort of card. Sorry to be so stupid.

Hi Big Ron - a fellow N. 'Irelander' here!

My first cruise was last year and the best tip I could give you is to keep reading Cruise Critic forums! :D Everything you could think about is dealt with here & there is no such thing as a stupid question! I felt so much more prepared after joining. Keep in touch & have a great cruise. :) I am looking forward to mine & just love to see the countdown clock at the bottom of my post!!! :cool:

Best wishes. Mo.

Hi Ron

Im a first time cruiser going on the Dream 4th June, 6 in our party on the Treasures of the Med cruise so if your date is wrong (Jim the Scot) and its the 4th not 14th then we will be on the same cruise. I,ve been monitoring the forum for some time and got a list of information/ tips from other cruisers, which may help. If you can let me have an email address I will send it to you

TJ

Hi Ron

Im a first time cruiser going on the Dream 4th June, 6 in our party on the Treasures of the Med cruise so if your date is wrong (Jim the Scot) and its the 4th not 14th then we will be on the same cruise. I,ve been monitoring the forum for some time and got a list of information/ tips from other cruisers, which may help. If you can let me have an email address I will send it to you

TJ

Hi,

The Dream sails in June on the 4th, 11th and 18th. Take your pick.

Have a great time.

Berwyn

Archived