Motion Sickness After the Cruise?

jemullen99

Just got off the Mariner of the Seas on Sunday, 04/18/2004. I am still feeling the movement of the boat. How long does this last? I did not get sick on the boat nor am I sick now, just an annoying rocking feeling...

Thanks!!

Newbie to Cruising!

It seems to be different for everybody. My first cruise it lasted at least two weeks while my husband had nothing. The third cruise I think it lasted only a couple of days. I've heard (but not tried) that taking dramamine or bonine will help reduce the dizziness.

Vicki

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

Radiance 6/2002

Radiance 10/2002

Brilliance 11/2003

[/b]

LEGEND OF THE SEAS - September 26, 2004

Visit our Roll Call HERE

Cruise Europe 2005 (CC Group Cruise)- June 5, 2005 on the Brilliance

Visit our Roll Call HERE

It's called Mal de Debarqument. A few things that I discovered researching this: None of the motion sickness medications or medications for vertigo, including the stronger drugs like Valium, work. It's more common in peri-menopausal women. It's better when you're moving than when you're standing. You can see an ENT about it, if it gets annoying, but, nobody really knows what causes it, or how long it might last and they probably can't really treat you (if they even know about it. Our family's ENT is a cruiser!) It can become chronic (not very common), or it can wax and wane, perking up again when you travel -- even by air or in a high-speed elevator.

I was VERY worried about it going into my last trip, because I get it every time, and this was going to be our longest cruise. It turned out there was no correlation between length of the trip and how long it lasts. After a three-day cruise, it was the worst. After my last cruise, it was the mildest. (Maybe there IS a correlation...a GOOD one!!!)

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

I had it for about a week after 7-night cruise. No effect after either 4-nighter.

I just made a game of it... just pretended I was back on the ship icon_biggrin.gif. I remember walking down a corridor here at work and all the office doors were closed - I started looking for my cabin icon_wink.gif!!!

the solution? stay on the ship icon_biggrin.gif ??????

nancy

Mariner 9/12/2004

Heading south: countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;11;10;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Our "Parrothead" Site

Monarch of the Seas 3/29/04

Costa Mediterranea 12/14/03

Sovereign of the Seas 9/21/03

I experienced it a little after our cruise, but it bothered DH more than me. Every once in a while, I would just feel myself kind of "rocking". I found it interesting that none of us experienced it at all while we were in the Ports. It was only after we got back to L.A. We first noticed it while in the airport waiting for our flight home.

MaryPoppinz, interesting tidbits ~ thanks for the research. icon_cool.gif

Sue

Our First Cruise! Pride 3/21/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

dolphinsun.gif

• 1 year later...

4-7 days depending on how rocky your cruise was. All it is, is the fluid in your middle ear that needs to settle down. Best thing to do is continue to take or take some Bonie for a few days AFTER you get off the ship.

It is a weird feeling isn't it. It takes about 2-3 days and then you are fine. At first you think you picked up something or have the flu but after a few days it really does get better.

Marilyn

It's called Mal de Debarqument. A few things that I discovered researching this: None of the motion sickness medications or medications for vertigo, including the stronger drugs like Valium, work. It's more common in peri-menopausal women. It's better when you're moving than when you're standing. You can see an ENT about it, if it gets annoying, but, nobody really knows what causes it, or how long it might last and they probably can't really treat you (if they even know about it. Our family's ENT is a cruiser!) It can become chronic (not very common), or it can wax and wane, perking up again when you travel -- even by air or in a high-speed elevator.

I was VERY worried about it going into my last trip, because I get it every time, and this was going to be our longest cruise. It turned out there was no correlation between length of the trip and how long it lasts. After a three-day cruise, it was the worst. After my last cruise, it was the mildest. (Maybe there IS a correlation...a GOOD one!!!)

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

AWESOME information.

We disembarked this morning and my husband has been mentioning his all day; he didn't get sick at all while cruising.

I'm still wearing the patch and I currently have a bit of it; I DID get very ill while on board even though I wore the patch and took Dramamine.

It's so odd, isn't it?!

Steph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I'm STILL feeling it 5 weeks post-cruise!!! Any suggestions? I've never felt sick to my stomach from it, just kind of "woozy". It's not constant, but I do feel it at some point every day...some more than others. :eek:

I'm STILL feeling it 5 weeks post-cruise!!! Any suggestions? I've never felt sick to my stomach from it, just kind of "woozy". It's not constant, but I do feel it at some point every day...some more than others. :eek:

Did you fly as well? I had something called ETD (eustacian tube dysfunction) after my last flight and it had to do with the fluid in my inner-ear not draining or something. BUT - every day I felt like I was rocking. He treated me with steriods, a nasal spray, and Allegra-D.

I would call your doctor - especially since it's been 5 weeks! Feel better...

I think lhhjrs76 is right, after 5 weeks you should go see your doctor. It might not have anything to do with your cruise but maybe just coincidentally started at the same time.

After our last 2-night cruise right after christmas I suffered from post-cruise motion sickness for nearly a week. The weather was horrible, the ships was rolling like no good, it was worse than our December Hurtigruten cruise (and that had bad weather as well). I got nauseous sitting at my desk at work, in bed at night, on the couch watching tv just because I could "feel" the swell. I celebrated when I finally noticed it was gone :o

We got off the FOS on 2/12/12 and I felt it for three days. I thought I was crazy at first! Hubby and the kids did not have that problem, only me. I'm 31 so I'm not in the normal "age range" for this, according to the internet.

I had no problems whatsoever on the ship.

Archived