Tourists to be denied use of busses

DeltaOne

"Come in my shop.. good prices here." One in Costa Maya had it right, "more garbage for less money.." lol.. I would have went into his shop just for that but I wanted back on the ship. lol

Couldn't freaking stand that. Nobody bugs you in Bermuda, its clean, the weather was gorgeous, the locals we interacted with were friendly(and didn't want to braid my hair)

I don't see anything wrong with them getting upset that there is no seats for them left on the bus. Thats how some have to get around. Its their home.

Oh I agree with both of you....I love Bermuda for precisely the same reasons and the locals have every right to expect a seat on their buses. That said, perhaps allowing two mega ships to dock at the same time, putting undue burdens on the transportation system, isn't such a good idea.......

The locals are, you just don't hear about it here.

Yeah, there were more than a few comments about this change on the Royal Gazette web site. The Bermudians are well aware of the effect this may have on tourists.

I don't think it is going to be that much harder or difficult to get around. I don't think you are going to be stuck on or near the ship but of course we will have to hear the first report backs this season to know for sure. It is too bad there have been cutbacks but Bermuda like everywhere else has been effected by the financial meltdown.

This change may slow down a few tourists trying to leave the Dockyard, but I'll bet they manage it well. They won't do anything to harm tourism in Bermuda.

As for cutbacks, I read the other day that Bermuda pensions are only 1/3rd funded -- they're having the same problems there we're having here.

Oh I agree with both of you....I love Bermuda for precisely the same reasons and the locals have every right to expect a seat on their buses. That said, perhaps allowing two mega ships to dock at the same time, putting undue burdens on the transportation system, isn't such a good idea.......

I agree w/ this. Maybe limit the number of ships that dock at a specific time. Right now RCL, NCL, and Celebrity all dock about the same time correct?

Yeah, there were more than a few comments about this change on the Royal Gazette web site. The Bermudians are well aware of the effect this may have on tourists.

Did you see the comments from the guest house owners across Hamilton Harbour? They have had any number of cancellations or people saying they would not be coming this year since there will be no ferry over to Hamilton from there. They see their business as being down 20% already. I imagine Newstead will see the effects as well.

Did you see the comments from the guest house owners across Hamilton Harbour? They have had any number of cancellations or people saying they would not be coming this year since there will be no ferry over to Hamilton from there. They see their business as being down 20% already. I imagine Newstead will see the effects as well.

Wow.

And I just read the comments to the original article on the Royal Gazette web site. Lots of folks are hopping mad over this new policy.

And the USA Today has picked up the news: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/04/bermuda-cruise-ship-passenger-bus-limit-dockyard-hamilton/167647/1

Wow.

And I just read the comments to the original article on the Royal Gazette web site. Lots of folks are hopping mad over this new policy.

And the USA Today has picked up the news: http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/04/bermuda-cruise-ship-passenger-bus-limit-dockyard-hamilton/167647/1

This could get ugly simply because there are people who think only of themselves. We witnessed some incidents a couple of years ago when people couldn't get on the buses. Weather was very inclement so the ferries were not running which caused a bus overload. People were trying to get to Dockyard since their ship was leaving. Some who didn't need to get to a ship pushed ahead of the line and then the trash talking started.

We had planned on going to Dockyard then taking the ferry back to St. George but not having to be anywhere, we crossed the street and took the bus back toward Hamilton. Did some things in Hamilton, then made our way back to SG later.

Visitors also seem to forget that the buses and ferries are the only means of transportation for many residents to get to work or to go anywhere. Since Bermuda is small, there are not a lot of bus routes either so residents don't have many choices.

The taxi drivers will be happy...:)

CYCLE Livery and ER docs too!

I understand - we almost booked the Veendam but stuck with Celebrity because of smoking policies and cost - before the ferry & bus changes were announced.

My gripe is that the Bermuda Tourist agency and the cruise lines should be finding ways to make it easier for cruise pax to get to Bermuda sites, not harder. To me, Bermuda is the destination (its beaches, towns, etc.) and a cruise ship is a great way to avoid the air travel hassles. If it becomes too difficult to get around and we stay on / near the ship, Bermuda is a rather expensive cruise destination (per day) compared to others - if all we're going to do is stay on board.

j

Think this might be some kind of squeeze play to get a few more bucks out of the cruise lines?

CYCLE Livery and ER docs too!

Think this might be some kind of squeeze play to get a few more bucks out of the cruise lines?

Absolutely not. If you do any reading of the Bermuda papers online, you would see the situation a bit differently.

Just wondering how you think it might be a squeeze play.......more money to give to ferry operations so they won't have to make budget cuts .....what?:confused:

The article talks about people needing to get to work in Hamilton by 9.

The bus would need to leave Dockyard before 8. Are that many cruisers out heading to the beach at that early hour? I would think people on vacation would not be out in the a.m. rush hour.

It would seem that a second cruise ship bringing 2000 plus pax and another thousand crew would buy enough bus passes to support a few more busses at peak times.

As far as the ferry, it would not get people to the south shore beaches--you need the bus.

Very interesting story.

On my last visit to Bermuda, almost exactly 2 years ago, I took an early bus to Hamilton so I could take pictures along the south shore. There was a dispatcher there doing exactly what is reported here as being "new", limiting the number of cruise passengers who could board the regular Route 7 bus.

Does anyone know if the Bermuda transportation system (both buses and ferries) are self-sustaining? If they are, then it would seem to be a simple matter of selling more tickets and adding more resources as the numbers increase. However if the service is subsidized by the Government, then it does become a problem, since those subsidy funds to support growth would have to come from somewhere else.

One thing Bermuda does have on their side is time. Both cruise ship itineraries and cruise bookings are arranged far enough in advance that they will have some time to sort all this out before people will have a chance to alter their plans to other destinations. Let's hope they realize this and do make an effort to find a fix.

Theron

I understand why the bus has too but the ferrys do not hold a cruise load of passengers all at one time as well so that's why I'm asking.. Also what about these shuttles to Horseshoe Bay. Are they the same size as the regular number 7 bus? How often do they run? I feel for the locals as they live there and depend on bus service but what are cruise passengers to do? All I can see is to take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the bus to the beaches from there. Might be faster than waiting for the next bus if your bumped.

Very interesting story.

On my last visit to Bermuda, almost exactly 2 years ago, I took an early bus to Hamilton so I could take pictures along the south shore. There was a dispatcher there doing exactly what is reported here as being "new", limiting the number of cruise passengers who could board the regular Route 7 bus.

Does anyone know if the Bermuda transportation system (both buses and ferries) are self-sustaining? If they are, then it would seem to be a simple matter of selling more tickets and adding more resources as the numbers increase. However if the service is subsidized by the Government, then it does become a problem, since those subsidy funds to support growth would have to come from somewhere else.

One thing Bermuda does have on their side is time. Both cruise ship itineraries and cruise bookings are arranged far enough in advance that they will have some time to sort all this out before people will have a chance to alter their plans to other destinations. Let's hope they realize this and do make an effort to find a fix.

Theron

It is public transportation so it would be unlikely to be self sustaining.

The transport system with it's inexpensive passes that we love so much and recomend has become a victim of it's own success. What other port do people pour off the ships onto local buses?

I think that adding the second dock at the Dockyard created the problem. The fix is either more buses or limiting the docking there to one ship at a time.

I understand why the bus has too but the ferrys do not hold a cruise load of passengers all at one time as well so that's why I'm asking.. Also what about these shuttles to Horseshoe Bay. Are they the same size as the regular number 7 bus? How often do they run? I feel for the locals as they live there and depend on bus service but what are cruise passengers to do? All I can see is to take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the bus to the beaches from there. Might be faster than waiting for the next bus if your bumped.

The "Special" buses to Horseshoe are the same buses used for the regular routes like the number 7.

Taking the ferry to Hamilton won't get you to the beaches faster. It will take a lot longer. Not only is there the time it takes for the ferry to cross to Hamilton, the bus terminal is several blocks away from the ferry terminal. And then you would wait for a bus.

The "Special" buses to Horseshoe are the same buses used for the regular routes like the number 7.

Taking the ferry to Hamilton won't get you to the beaches faster. It will take a lot longer. Not only is there the time it takes for the ferry to cross to Hamilton, the bus terminal is several blocks away from the ferry terminal. And then you would wait for a bus.

I would think (I am not expert but just using common sense) the best bet for cruisers/visitors heading to Hamilton from The Dockyard would be to take the ferry. It was stated that yes they did cut back on ferry runs... however they are having the BIG ferries do those runs, so there should be plenty of room. Not only will they get there faster, they wont have to stress/worry about whether or not they will make it on the bus.

Cruisers/Visitors wanting to go directly to Horseshoe Bay (and other surrounding beaches) should take the "special" direct bus. As I understand it that bus will not be affected by the visitor limit. It makes no stops along the way so that would be the fastest way to get to those beaches.:)

I would think (I am not expert but just using common sense) the best bet for cruisers/visitors heading to Hamilton from The Dockyard would be to take the ferry. It was stated that yes they did cut back on ferry runs... however they are having the BIG ferries do those runs, so there should be plenty of room. Not only will they get there faster, they wont have to stress/worry about whether or not they will make it on the bus.

Cruisers/Visitors wanting to go directly to Horseshoe Bay (and other surrounding beaches) should take the "special" direct bus. As I understand it that bus will not be affected by the visitor limit. It makes no stops along the way so that would be the fastest way to get to those beaches.:)

I don't think it is the best bet. If I was docked at the Dockyard I would take the bus direct. No way that I would take the ferry to Hamiltion and then a bus. But, hey it is your time, do what you want. I booked a ship last year and this year that docks at Hamilton which gives me more time to enjoy Bermuda.

I don't think it is the best bet. If I was docked at the Dockyard I would take the bus direct. No way that I would take the ferry to Hamiltion and then a bus. But, hey it is your time, do what you want. I booked a ship last year and this year that docks at Hamilton which gives me more time to enjoy Bermuda.

Did you read what I wrote? :confused:

I am not saying take a ferry to Hamilton then a bus to Horseshoe.

I am saying if you are going to Hamilton DONT take the bus take the ferry.

If you are going to Horseshoe Bay take the "special" direct bus.

It really isnt that difficult.

Did you read what I wrote? :confused:

I am not saying take a ferry to Hamilton then a bus to Horseshoe.

I am saying if you are going to Hamilton DONT take the bus take the ferry.

If you are going to Horseshoe Bay take the "special" direct bus.

It really isnt that difficult.

Sorry, that is the problem reading and posting from my iPhone. The type is too small. I have to give up posting from this thing until Cruise Critic does a mobile app.

Sorry, that is the problem reading and posting from my iPhone. The type is too small. I have to give up posting from this thing until Cruise Critic does a mobile app.

Ha ha too funny!

I am not to worried and dont think others should either. We will all get to where we are going...may take a littler longer but we will get there!:)

Absolutely not. If you do any reading of the Bermuda papers online, you would see the situation a bit differently.

Just wondering how you think it might be a squeeze play.......more money to give to ferry operations so they won't have to make budget cuts .....what?:confused:

I do think the liveries will be smiling, their business will likely increase. ;)

More money to run some dedicated "express" south shore beach buses. And perhaps an extra ferry or two from dockyard. Call them "excursions" and . . .

I understand what the BDA transport minister is saying, but his constituants don't seem to give him a lot of credibility.

I'll be there on the Gem's first sailing next week. I'll post back and let everyone know how the bus situation is. I can't wait to get there!

I think that raising the fare a little would be a decent solution. $28 for three days is a steal. Maybe up to $35 for three days? Not very noticable for the individual passenger, but would be a huge amount of increase in the coffers that may help pay for additional buses, drivers, etc.

I think that raising the fare a little would be a decent solution. $28 for three days is a steal. Maybe up to $35 for three days? Not very noticable for the individual passenger, but would be a huge amount of increase in the coffers that may help pay for additional buses, drivers, etc.

Another politician is born!;) That is exactly the logic our own government uses every time they overspend their budget ... "Let's just tax 'em a little more, they'll barely notice."

I can remember the last time Bermuda increased the transportation-pass rate, and believe me when I tell you, everybody noticed!:cool:

That said, I agree we may well be looking at fare increases down the road. Government officials may screw up a lot of things, but one thing they are proficient at is asking for more money.

I do think the liveries will be smiling, their business will likely increase. ;)

More money to run some dedicated "express" south shore beach buses. And perhaps an extra ferry or two from dockyard. Call them "excursions" and . . .

I understand what the BDA transport minister is saying, but his constituants don't seem to give him a lot of credibility.

Another politician is born!;) That is exactly the logic our own government uses every time they overspend their budget ... "Let's just tax 'em a little more, they'll barely notice."

I can remember the last time Bermuda increased the transportation-pass rate, and believe me when I tell you, everybody noticed!:cool:

That said, I agree we may well be looking at fare increases down the road. Government officials may screw up a lot of things, but one thing they are proficient at is asking for more money.

That was the point of me asking if it is a subsidized service.

If the buses and ferries are subsidized by the government, then the more they run, the more money the government loses. This is one of the negative side effects you encounter when the government subsidizes something. Subsidies are usually used to encourage activity that would not naturally take place (for example to encourage people not to drive their cars, etc). The system then reacts in opposition to the normal laws of economics. More riders may generate more fare income, but if they "lose" $100 on each run, that just means they lose that much more money with added service, not the opposite.

If the fare is based on actual operating cost, then yes, adding more demand should flow through to increased money, to additional resources.

If not, you have to decide what other government service is less important than the additional capacity, and can afford a funding cut.

Theron

Archived