Very limited caribbean in summer 2012

It seems like the only Caribbean itineraries for the summer of 2012 will be the Allure and Oasis, and from what has been posted, the Freedom will be doing the same 7 day itineraries as this years -- guess we will wait and see when they are actually out on the website. I can't believe that most of the other ships will be in Europe, especially with the price of gas! There are those of us who can only take our vacations in the summer and would love to have a few more choices both in ships and ports of call. We have already been on the Allure and Freedom and we were really hoping to see something else for the summer of 2012. This almost forces us to look at other cruise lines. We are diamond and like Royal but we are out of options! Unfortunately June, July and August are our vacation months.

I was lucky to book the Splendor out of San Juan this summer. As a teacher, I can only travel in the summer, and I have no desire (or air fare money) to travel to Europe. We have been cruising since 1982, and we have no desire for a amusement park at sea (Oasis and Allure). My wife and I are looking at other cruise lines and vacation options. If enough people stay away, they will make changes real quick.

It's very sad and disappointing for those of us who can only cruise in the summer and would like more variety as opposed to the same old Caribbean itineraries. We cannot afford Alaska or Europe. And, other cruiselines have done the same...no Caribbean sailings Summer 2012 for Celebrity or Princess at all.

I think Royal Caribbean is going to have problems in a few years with too many ships in Europe and not enough in the Caribbean.

Prices in Europe have been falling, and are cheaper than they are in the Caribbean. Don't let anyone fool you that they're moving their fleet to Europe because of supply and demand, because if that were true, prices would be higher in Europe, and they're not. The higher the demand, the higher the prices. The prices are higher in the Caribbean and lower in Europe due to not enough supply for the demand in the Caribbean and too much supply for the demand in Europe.

Maybe in a few years when prices in Europe finally get too low for RCCL to handle, we will have a few more ships in the summer. Until then, we'll just have to watch prices fall in Europe wishing a few of the ships would be here in the summer. :(

As DonnaK stated, Princess and Celebrity and also NCL are doing the same. Its a shame. So what are the choices? Carnival?

The ships in Europe are not being filled with people from the US. Flying to Europe costs more than the cruise! :(

I'd love to see some ships back in the US, BUT not on the same ol' same ol' 7 night itineraries to Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, etc!

If people are willing to take 10-12 night cruises during the summer in Europe, but the airfare is the deciding factor holding them back, maybe they'll be willing to take a 10-12 night cruise out of a US port but to different destinations.

I'd love to see an extended itinerary (probably from a Florida port) that includes ports in Costa Rica, Colombia, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, Belize, Guatemala or the Dominican Republic. Although other cruise lines (like Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, and MSC) are offering such itineraries, they do it only during the winter months.

Or maybe they can send a ship deeper into the St. Lawrence River all the way to Montreal and sail one ways to/from Boston on 14 day rotations (like Holland America does).

Or they can do partial Panama Canal 10 night itineraries roundtrip from Florida, (like Princess and Holland America do during the winter).

Or they can offer Caribbean sailings to truly off the beaten path, never visited ports of call. Not everybody wants to sit at a Margaritaville or Senor Frogs at a fake, pre-fabricated tourist trap for the masses.

Maybe the Europe snafu will force the big wigs to put their thinking caps on....;)

As DonnaK stated, Princess and Celebrity and also NCL are doing the same. Its a shame. So what are the choices? Carnival?

The ships in Europe are not being filled with people from the US. Flying to Europe costs more than the cruise! :(

We cruised last summer with Carnival.Not our first choice,but we had fun.Good value for the money.I totally agree with the OP,we're looking to book summer of 2012 as well and prefer not to sail Oasis/Allure.Might book Carnival again.

I don't think RCI cares where the people are from, as long as they go on RCI cruises!

It seems like the only Caribbean itineraries for the summer of 2012 will be the Allure and Oasis, and from what has been posted, the Freedom will be doing the same 7 day itineraries as this years -- guess we will wait and see when they are actually out on the website. I can't believe that most of the other ships will be in Europe, especially with the price of gas! There are those of us who can only take our vacations in the summer and would love to have a few more choices both in ships and ports of call. We have already been on the Allure and Freedom and we were really hoping to see something else for the summer of 2012. This almost forces us to look at other cruise lines. We are diamond and like Royal but we are out of options! Unfortunately June, July and August are our vacation months.

I've noticed that also. We like to cruise every June, just to get away and enjoy some beaches.

Not much offered for next year, other than Oasis and Allure.

Looking at other cruise lines itineraries, or something different altogether.

I find it odd that RCI, which is marketing itself as a family-oriented cruise line, is offering such limited choices during the summer, which is when most families are able to travel. I do understand the need to maximize their revenues, but at the same time, they need to provide a broader array of offerings during the time that their intended market is able to utilize them.

It really wouldn't take all that much to broaden their summer-time offerings. One ship out of Fort Lauderdale could alternate between a 5-night itinerary to places the Oasis sisters don't go (e.g. Grand Cayman and Belize) and a 9-night itinerary to the Southern Caribbean. Plus, the Oasis/Allure could alternate between Falmouth and Costa Maya on the Western run. (I'm not familiar with the Eastern ports, but maybe there could be some alternating stops on that side as well.) Voila, lots more choices with very little extra resources.

C'mon, RCI, you guys are very creative when it comes to designing your ships. Let's see some of that creativity when it comes to deciding where (and when) to send them.

You can book Freedom summer 2012 by calling. I don't like the prices, though. Was looking this early to get the family friendly balcony connected to an inside on deck 9 aft.

But 1539 for the balcony and 1009 for the inside seem steep for 7 night Western sailing. They will likely stay high if Oasis/Allure are the only other options that are even higher priced.

I know that many folks are disappointed about summer Caribbean sailings, but it's not much that much different for the winter.

I see that the Jewel is not doing the 10/11 night Ultimate Caribbean cruise next year.

Perhaps they are concerned about filling the Oasis/Allure?

While they may not currently have trouble filling berths on these ships at present, the newness of the experience is bound to fall off at some point.

Perhaps one of those ships might be repositioned in the future - if large enough ports can be found for them?

We're going on Celebrity next year because of the limited Caribbean itineraries RC is offering in the future. While it is essentially the same company (at least in the perspective of RCI), perhaps people tend to be brand-loyal due to their comfort level, expectation, on-board experience, and so on, and may not want to travel Celebrity.

But then Celebrity pulls completely out of the Caribbean for the summers, so for many, that is not a solution either.

I've heard that cruise lines are having problems filling ships in Europe due to the high cost of air fare and general unrest in the area. Perhaps that will result in better Caribbean itineraries? I dunno.

Random thoughts...

I find it odd that RCI, which is marketing itself as a family-oriented cruise line, is offering such limited choices during the summer, which is when most families are able to travel. I do understand the need to maximize their revenues, but at the same time, they need to provide a broader array of offerings during the time that their intended market is able to utilize them.

This is exactly what I was thinking! How can they advertise to Americans about how they have 22 wonderful ships to sail on when only three (3), THREE!!!!!! of them are sailing in the Caribbean during the season where the entire country is actually able and willing to travel. There should not be nearly 4 times as many ships in Europe. That is just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Time for a reality check.

Out of RCI´s total double occupancy capacity almost 30% is sailing in the Caribbean during the summer of 2012 and about 15% are not even deployed yet, so the numbers might or might not increase.

Anyway almost 30% for one destination out maybe 5 or 6 main destinations for the summer month is hardly abandoning one area.:rolleyes:

Anyway all of these are business decisions and there´s nothing personal or personal preferences involved. Right now they think 30% of their capactiy for the Caribbean is the right thing. They might in the future come to the conclusion to increase or decrease the numbers. Money talks, not what CC members want;)

This is exactly what I was thinking! How can they advertise to Americans about how they have 22 wonderful ships to sail on when only three (3), THREE!!!!!! of them are sailing in the Caribbean during the season where the entire country is actually able and willing to travel. There should not be nearly 4 times as many ships in Europe. That is just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Maybe because they are operating internationally and not only advertising to Americans and perhaps because even some Americans travel elsewhere than the Caribbean.;)

Time for a reality check.

Out of RCI´s total double occupancy capacity almost 30% is sailing in the Caribbean during the summer of 2012 and about 15% are not even deployed yet, so the numbers might or might not increase.

Anyway almost 30% for one destination out maybe 5 or 6 main destinations for the summer month is hardly abandoning one area.:rolleyes:

Anyway all of these are business decisions and there´s nothing personal or personal preferences involved. Right now they think 30% of their capactiy for the Caribbean is the right thing. They might in the future come to the conclusion to increase or decrease the numbers. Money talks, not what CC members want;)

Well said. Despite what Americans might think, there are also people in Europe. And apparently enough of them are willing to cruise on RCI to make it profitable for them to position several of their ships there.

I booked the Oasis in June 2012 for a trip with my teenage granddaughter, but I am not at all happy with the price. I booked it knowing that I can change to another ship or cancel and go on Carnival if I have to (not my preference). I am watching the price daily, hoping that other people will object to being forced onto the Oasis or Allure and choose another line, forcing price drops to fill the ships. Don't misunderstand, I love the Oasis class and this is my first choice, but I would like to have the opportunity to decide for myself.

It's looking like those of us west of the Mississippi need to find other options if we want to cruise. Flights are too expensive and I really have no desire to pay extra for a bigger ship (Oasis/Allure). While I'd love to do a Med cruise, it will have to wait until the kids can pay thier own way. ;)

I prefer RCI, but Carnival is also a good line and they at least cruise out of Galveston in the summer (good for us Texans). The nice thing there is that they're bringing the Magic and actually doing something other than the same Belize, Roatan, Cozumel itineraries. It's not much, but at we have three different itineraries to choose from. What would be really nice is a 10 day out of Galveston that goes to some other places. I like the idea of visiting islands off the beaten path. :D

Maybe because they are operating internationally and not only advertising to Americans and perhaps because even some Americans travel elsewhere than the Caribbean.;)

I understand this, but for the Americans that like Royal Caribbean and wish to take a cruise with them, the airfare to Europe can be almost as much as the cruise itself, and that is a real turnoff for most travelers. I think that at least two more ships offering different itineraries to the Caribbean would be warmly welcome by many, many people.

I understand this, but for the Americans that like Royal Caribbean and wish to take a cruise with them, the airfare to Europe can be almost as much as the cruise itself, and that is a real turnoff for most travelers. I think that at least two more ships offering different itineraries to the Caribbean would be warmly welcome by many, many people.

But probably not by the Europeans.;)

Archived