Need help on getting to Rome italy & booking hotel after cruise

hairone

Our cruise ends in CITAVECCHIA & we want to spend a few days in ROME

Question # 1--How do we get from the pier to ROME?

Question # 2--need a nice hotel for 3 days & a way to get to the airport but remember we are nor RICH. Would like a hotel that provides that service.

George & Liz

Question # 2--need a nice hotel for 3 days & a way to get to the airport but remember we are nor RICH. Would like a hotel that provides that service.

George & Liz

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Try the Ports of Call boards for Rome:http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

The Alante Garden and its sister hotel Alante Star both close to the Vatican provide complimentary shuttle to the airport. You could take RCCL's transfers to the airport and then have them pick you up. Or you could try Romeinlimo.com for their rates they are extremely reliable and will pick up right up at the port.

Or take the train from the port to the city!

George & Liz

You can get a spot in a van from the airport to the central area of Rome for twenty some odd dollars each. The train is even cheaper, if you can handle your baggage. If you're truly looking for inexpensive lodging in Rome, check out monasterystays . com. They have ensuite bathrooms, continental breakfast, and you can pick one in the location you prefer, experience a bit of Italy's monastic culture. One negative: if you're a partier, they have 11 p.m. curfews and really do lock the doors.

• 2 years later...
We stayed at the Royal Santina Hotel which is across the street from the Termini. The airport bus and the HoHo stop are directly across the street from the hotel. Very convenient. Our TA arranged for a shared van to take us from the ship to the hotel.

Thank you for sharing this info! I just booked the Royal Santina Hotel.

I suggest checking Trip Advisor if you aren't using a TA. Also, if taking the train you don't want a lot of luggage as you have to haul it down/up stairs and then up into the train. There is not much storage area either. Your Roll Call group might have some ideas and perhaps several are willing to take a bus type transfer from the port to Rome and this would cut down the cost. There are some who have posted about staying in "apartments" in Rome for less money but with that will be no services. I found that our hotel had service to the port and airport but this was an extra charge. So not much is free. Enjoy!

While I don't have an mobility problems walking, there is no way I could haul luggage up and down the cobblestone streets or up and down 25+ steps. There were 5 of us and we used a private driver service. With 5 it was cheaper than the cruise line transfer for us. It was also more convenient. If you go to the roll call for your particular cruise, I'm sure you will see others that would love to share a cab or a private car with you.

1. Three choices. The train, a car service, a taxi.

Train is cheapest, but about 1/2 mile from entrance to the port.

I promise you this is the cheapest. However, I and my husband are in very good shape, yet, you don't want more than 1 suitcase that is about this size you can take on a plane. There is no place to store a big suitcase. You have to lug these up/down stairs and then up on the train car. :eek: I would never EVER take the train unless I could easily carry all my luggage.

Hope you find someone on your roll call to share a ride! :)

Thank you for sharing this info! I just booked the Royal Santina Hotel.

The hotel itself might have a shuttle service for picking you up at the port. That's what we did last year. Our hotel provided a limo service. Of course I arranged for this prior to leaving home through emailing the hotel. Then they arranged for a ride to the airport for flying home.

The driver was there within ten minutes of us disembarking the ship and a bonus was that it was a lovely black Mercedes with the MOST HANDSOME young Italian chauffeur!! LOL. Much to my husband's dismay. LOL.

The hotel itself might have a shuttle service for picking you up at the port. That's what we did last year. Our hotel provided a limo service. Of course I arranged for this prior to leaving home through emailing the hotel. Then they arranged for a ride to the airport for flying home.

The driver was there within ten minutes of us disembarking the ship and a bonus was that it was a lovely black Mercedes with the MOST HANDSOME young Italian chauffeur!! LOL. Much to my husband's dismay. LOL.

What hotel did you stay at?

George & Liz

We are doing the same as you next month. We have booked Romecabs to bring us to Rome from the ship. Have you thought of an apartment? We booked one for 3 nights for $100.00 Euro per night in an awesome location near Campo Dei Fiori. Then we have Romecabs taking us to the airport after our stay. Larry

We are doing the same as you next month. We have booked Romecabs to bring us to Rome from the ship. Have you thought of an apartment? We booked one for 3 nights for $100.00 Euro per night in an awesome location near Campo Dei Fiori. Then we have Romecabs taking us to the airport after our stay. Larry

This is almost exactly what we are doing. We have booked Romecabs as well from airport toan apt. at Piazza Navona. We have never stayed Iin an apt. before. We are flying in on Oct. 26th.

Then Romecabs is taking us to cruiseport on the 31st.

We stayed at Hotel de Petris and they do offer transportation to from the airport, however, there is a charge. Also, remember these are small vehicles and they will only carry 2 bags most time for 2 people, or 2 with 2 carry on. This hotel has a locked area and will keep your bags during the day until check in time or when you are leaving. They have free wifi (reliable in the lobby) and free breakfast. We loved this place.

http://www.hoteldepetris.com/en/index.html?id_referer=ADWORDS&gclid=CPiq4pqh2bkCFcF_Qgod9CQAJQ

What hotel did you stay at?

Further to my post below, we stayed at the Gambrinus Hotel which was in a nice upscale area. It was a bit farther out from the main attractions though but we did walk it. Bus stops are near as well as some great restaurants.

They provided a delicious full buffet breakfast every morning as well, included.

http://www.gambrinushotel.com/en/?gclid=COeQyteQ2rkCFepFMgod7EYA1Q

This is almost exactly what we are doing. We have booked Romecabs as well from airport toan apt. at Piazza Navona. We have never stayed Iin an apt. before. We are flying in on Oct. 26th.

Then Romecabs is taking us to cruiseport on the 31st.

Could you give me the website for the apartments? We will be there early May.

Are the apartments near any attractions? Thanks

It's called Crown Orsetto through some of the booking websites. Piazza Navona is close to Pantheon, restaurants , etc. Do a google map search to see location and surrounding area.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used http://www.vrbo.com many times for apt rentals.

In Rome we stayed here: http://www.vrbo.com/194513

loved the apt and location...we walked to everything...it worked out well for two couples sharing, much more room and much less $$ than a hotel.

Marge

Archived