Douglas Ward´s likes X- food an service

Germancruiser

Thanks so much for the article. I tend to agree across the board on his findings. RCI is my least favorite, barely topped by Carnival. What I did find interesting is his high ranking of MSC which I completely enjoyed, but from reading the CC boards about MSC I was expecting food and service just slightly better than one might find in prison. I found the ship beautiful, the entertainment excellent but a LOT of smoking.

Thanks so much for the article. I tend to agree across the board on his findings. RCI is my least favorite, barely topped by Carnival. What I did find interesting is his high ranking of MSC which I completely enjoyed, but from reading the CC boards about MSC I was expecting food and service just slightly better than one might find in prison. I found the ship beautiful, the entertainment excellent but a LOT of smoking.

I had the same reaction. I agree with the article, and I'm intrigued by the higher rating of MSC. They were rated higher than HAL, which has pretty good cuisine. I've thought about MSC, but like you stated, CC members don't rate it very high.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I guess I should be scared because we are taking an Alaskan Cruise Tour on Radiance of the Seas next month, but I am looking forward to sailing on this beautiful ship that will be like new after its dry dock this month :)

Bridge,

We've cruised RCCL six times, and the Radiance was the only ship to have decent food. We did both alternative restaurants and the MDR, and I must say the food was as good as HAL. All of our other Royal Caribbean cruises were disappointing in the cuisine department.

It is a beautiful ship and have a great cruise!

Mr. Ward's Berlitz Guide can read like a tender evaluation document

for the Ruritanian Ministry of Vacation Choice, but it is indispensible--

worth all other advice (books or not) combined. I've been a fan for

twenty+ years since he was the first to say the emperor had no clothes

and the QEII was a 3 1/2 star ship

Mr. Ward's Berlitz Guide can read like a tender evaluation document

for the Ruritanian Ministry of Vacation Choice, but it is indispensible--

worth all other advice (books or not) combined. I've been a fan for

twenty+ years since he was the first to say the emperor had no clothes

and the QEII was a 3 1/2 star ship

Leonardofan, is the Leonardo in your screen name from the artist Leonardo da Vinci, or the Italian Line ship that was named after him?

Hello all,

due a lack of time I could not comment the article myself- well I started with RCI - and switched to X- and stayed- I mostly agree with Ward- my last cruise was on board Brilliance- for a change- the food was okay- but just that- on board all X- ships I have been on- well it was much better- even in their Speciality Restaurants. Service is refinded- I could go on. .. I never tried Carnival or HAL- found Cunard compareable to X- but hatet Costa- for me the european Carnival ( when compareing the pictures of the inside)

Greetings

Michael

Bridge Maven:

It's the ship...

The first ship I sailed on was the France--the most beautiful ship built

since the War, and judging from photos one of the most beautiful ever--

BUT the real Parisian service, ranging from grudgingly correct to

(often) psychotic. Then I sailed home on the Leonardo. Even then an

old tub, but forty years and twenty odd cruises later still the most

memorable experience I've had on a ship (What they resented on the

France--we were young, we were American, we were on vacation while

they had to work--they LOVED on the Leonardo.) Only other ship

I can mention in the same breath is POL's Stefan Batory. Deep in

evil empire days, it was a chance to show the Soviets how they would

run their country if they had the chance (A great satisfaction that now they do...):)

Hello all,

due a lack of time I could not comment the article myself- well I started with RCI - and switched to X- and stayed- I mostly agree with Ward- my last cruise was on board Brilliance- for a change- the food was okay- but just that- on board all X- ships I have been on- well it was much better- even in their Speciality Restaurants. Service is refinded- I could go on. .. I never tried Carnival or HAL- found Cunard compareable to X- but hatet Costa- for me the european Carnival ( when compareing the pictures of the inside)

Greetings

Michael

You should try HAL's 700 passenger Prinsendam for a change of pace--

the only ships Mr. Ward rates higher are at least twice the price. Superbly

run ship...

Bridge Maven:

It's the ship...

The first ship I sailed on was the France--the most beautiful ship built

since the War, and judging from photos one of the most beautiful ever--

BUT the real Parisian service, ranging from grudgingly correct to

(often) psychotic. Then I sailed home on the Leonardo. Even then an

old tub, but forty years and twenty odd cruises later still the most

memorable experience I've had on a ship (What they resented on the

France--we were young, we were American, we were on vacation while

they had to work--they LOVED on the Leonardo.) Only other ship

I can mention in the same breath is POL's Stefan Batory. Deep in

evil empire days, it was a chance to show the Soviets how they would

run their country if they had the chance (A great satisfaction that now they do...):)

Leonardofan, my husband and I took our first cruise on Leonardo da Vinci in 1975, which was round trip from NYC to St Thomas and St Maartin. We loved that ship and thought its service and cuisine was as good as it gets.

I had the same reaction. I agree with the article, and I'm intrigued by the higher rating of MSC. They were rated higher than HAL, which has pretty good cuisine. I've thought about MSC, but like you stated, CC members don't rate it very high.

Enjoy!

Ratings are lower because it is meant to appeal to a European cruiser - it offers a slightly different product, particularly when cruising Europe. Some allowances are made to a more US based customer base when it sails here - but it will still be different. For example in Europe, generally no free water poured in MDR (bottled water at a charge only), but on North American/Caribbean cruises they pour it for free.

If you have traveled and independent land base trip in Europe, one usually doesn't have problems with the line. But, if you're tied to a US type cruise product (24/7 food, steaks, etc.) one is probably better off with one of the US centric lines.

If you are someone that hates upsell and that is a major reason for sailing Celebrity, you might like MSC. Service styles are pretty similar. Few announcements.

Bridge,

We've cruised RCCL six times, and the Radiance was the only ship to have decent food. We did both alternative restaurants and the MDR, and I must say the food was as good as HAL. All of our other Royal Caribbean cruises were disappointing in the cuisine department.

It is a beautiful ship and have a great cruise!

Thank you, Kelmac :)

Ratings are lower because it is meant to appeal to a European cruiser - it offers a slightly different product, particularly when cruising Europe. Some allowances are made to a more US based customer base when it sails here - but it will still be different. For example in Europe, generally no free water poured in MDR (bottled water at a charge only), but on North American/Caribbean cruises they pour it for free.

If you have traveled and independent land base trip in Europe, one usually doesn't have problems with the line. But, if you're tied to a US type cruise product (24/7 food, steaks, etc.) one is probably better off with one of the US centric lines.

If you are someone that hates upsell and that is a major reason for sailing Celebrity, you might like MSC. Service styles are pretty similar. Few announcements.

When I first met Lauren, we spent 53 days together, traveling with our Eurail passes and small backpacks, around Europe. Her favorite area was northern Italy and we found the food to be wonderful. Perhaps we should give MSC a try?

Thanks buggins!

When I first met Lauren, we spent 53 days together, traveling with our Eurail passes and small backpacks, around Europe. Her favorite area was northern Italy and we found the food to be wonderful. Perhaps we should give MSC a try?

Thanks buggins!

If you like interesting different pastas and risottos, slow cooked meats, fish, and great gelato you'll do ok. Presentation is not up to Celebrity standards. Looks like they are just starting a very limited buffet at night even on European cruises (used to only have upcharge Pizza available in Europe). Pizza is regarded as top notch. Ships are very clean.

Kids sail free so unless you go when kids are in school, it's something to keep in mind if you like a more adult atmosphere.

If you think of it as a different adventure, expect some charges for things that are gratis on US centric lines, and definitely more smoking than Celebrity - you'll do fine. If the price and itinerary are right I'd have no problem sailing with them again.

Archived