Take your pet cruising on Carnival with you !!

If I stay at a land based hotel, I most certainly ask if the hotel accepts service animals and request a room that has not been occupied by an animal. Also, if it is a pet friendly hotel, I do not book a room there.

Refusing to accept service animals (in the US) is a violation of federal law.

I work in a retail store and a husband and wife came in today with a tiny dog wearing a vest with "service dog" on it. The wife explained that the dog was hers. Guess who carried the dog around the store for an hour of shopping? The husband.

Wow, instead of making all sorts of sarcastic assumptions why didn't you just ask the owner what type of service dog it was, even though they don't owe you an explanation.

Not only are some breeds trained to signal oncoming seizures, there are some that are also trained in dealing with folks who have sleep apnea. There are also quiet a few service animals trained to assist with our troops that have come back from war and have trouble returning to everyday civilian life. Do some research before you make such snide remarks.

Well said!!

Refusing to accept service animals (in the US) is a violation of federal law.

So does cruise ships have to follow US law?

I agree service dogs are needed, but cruises? not in the dinning room or at least move me.

We were on an NCL cruise out of Houston in Jan 2000 before Freestyle cruising. A blind woman and her husband were on board with her guide dog. There was a commotion in the dining room when some passengers refused to sit at the table with them. We love dogs and gladly volunteered to trade places with them. The dog lay on the floor and never moved during dinner - much better manners than many onboard. The dog and her owners were some of the best tablemates we ever had.

They had to bring a small child's plastic pool and bags of sand for the dog to do her business. The husband had to take her down to a crew area where NCL put the pool for the dog to go. They had to provide all kinds of certifications from her doctor that she required the use of the dog and from the dog's vet. They had to clear the dog in each port so she could guide her human. It was a wonderful learning experience for us and we had a lovely week with a great couple and a beautiful yellow lab.

Fast forward to 2010 when we got our own yellow lab. She must have been a guide dog school drop out. Molly is a maniac and I wouldn't take her around the block let alone on a cruise. She has severe anxiety issues and would probably jump ship with all the excitement after peeing on everyones feet. But, she's ours and we love her, warts and all.

I work in a retail store and a husband and wife came in today with a tiny dog wearing a vest with "service dog" on it. The wife explained that the dog was hers. Guess who carried the dog around the store for an hour of shopping? The husband.

What's your point? You don't know what kind of service dog it was to know if it mattered who carried it.

This board is full of people that are too worried about what others do. What they wear, do they smoke, are they overweight, do they drink, now people worrying about service dogs. Really? I highly doubt all they did was provide a doctors note. I'm sure the cruise companies require more documentation to verify. But maybe instead we should make them wear a sign that specifically states what service they provide and show proof that they are a valid service animal. :rolleyes:

My point is, if the dog is a service animal for HER, why did she go to one end of the store to the women's department to shop and he carried the animal to the men's department to shop (not within eyesight or hearing of each other).

My point is, if the dog is a service animal for HER, why did she go to one end of the store to the women's department to shop and he carried the animal to the men's department to shop (not within eyesight or hearing of each other).

It's irrelevant. They don't have to prove anything to you. Federal law requires all places to accept service animals regardless of your feelings of the validity of the animal.

This thread makes me think of all the people that complain that people park in handicapped spaces and then say it was unfair because they don't look handicapped.

In his case the cruise line allowed it so really the reasoning behind it or the need for the animal falls under the category of none of our business.

What's your point? You don't know what kind of service dog it was to know if it mattered who carried it.

This board is full of people that are too worried about what others do. What they wear, do they smoke, are they overweight, do they drink, now people worrying about service dogs. Really? I highly doubt all they did was provide a doctors note. I'm sure the cruise companies require more documentation to verify. But maybe instead we should make them wear a sign that specifically states what service they provide and show proof that they are a valid service animal. :rolleyes:

Just thinking the same thing:)

I think the issue here is tolerance.........some have most seem not to. I tolerate children running around with out their parents even on the same deck let alone with in eye shot. I tolerate people allowing their kids in the pools with "swim diapers" even though it is not allowed. I tolerate the chair hogs, the line breakers. With all that said I would glady welcome a service animal of any size, they most likely have better manors.

My daughter is 23yrs old and has several physical and mental disabilites, I can not tell you how many people have been rude to her. I CAN tell the joy we have had from fellow passengers that have shown her extra kindness and a glancing smile. The guests that have taken the time to tell their own children that it was OK to say hello to Jen.

Tolerance.......learn it, live it and share it with others.

Since the new regulations say only dogs (and sometimes miniature horses) can be service animals, I guess this service cat's owner isn't allowed to call the cat that anymore. I found the thread interesting, but I took exception to the fact the owner kept stressing that her cat was "hypoallergenic" because the cat has "hair" and not fur. I read up on it, and it's never been the fur that makes folks allergic to cats anyway. It's the dander, which is formed from the cat's saliva when it grooms itself. Hair, fur, or none at all, it will still have dander, and it will still be allergenic.

I'm willing to bet those service animals are much cleaner and more well-behaved than a good chunk of passengers. Just sayin.......

Very well written, and I just pray that those who feel the need to complain about service dogs being on board never have a need to depend on one.

Or have a family member who has to depend on one as a lot of people do.

I have heard about seizure dogs and thought "Ya Right".

Then 3 years ago my parent's dog (a small mixed bread) started laying on my father's chest and whinning. Whenever my Dad would lay down the dog would lay on him and whine. A few weeks later my Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.

I will NEVER question any dogs ability again!

about a month before I was diagnosis with non hodgkins caner my mil s dog was acting strange

he would not let anyone including my dh sit by me I had been having problems for approx 9 months when they finally found the cancer Dexter knew first

now if Dexter acts unusal I see m y doc

It's irrelevant. They don't have to prove anything to you. Federal law requires all places to accept service animals regardless of your feelings of the validity of the animal.

This thread makes me think of all the people that complain that people park in handicapped spaces and then say it was unfair because they don't look handicapped.

In his case the cruise line allowed it so really the reasoning behind it or the need for the animal falls under the category of none of our business.

BeachChik: Take a bow for being diplomatic! I knew I couldn't, so didn't reply.

I think the issue here is tolerance.........some have most seem not to. I tolerate children running around with out their parents even on the same deck let alone with in eye shot. I tolerate people allowing their kids in the pools with "swim diapers" even though it is not allowed. I tolerate the chair hogs, the line breakers. With all that said I would glady welcome a service animal of any size, they most likely have better manors.

My daughter is 23yrs old and has several physical and mental disabilites, I can not tell you how many people have been rude to her. I CAN tell the joy we have had from fellow passengers that have shown her extra kindness and a glancing smile. The guests that have taken the time to tell their own children that it was OK to say hello to Jen.

Tolerance.......learn it, live it and share it with others.

2thesea: I wish people would shed their "better than thou" attitude and realize not everyone is "like" them, thank GOD.

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to say a lot more, but I know I'd be kicked off CC permanently.

Katie: I am right there with ya! I had to sit on my hands to keep them off the keyboard, earlier.........

Perhaps the best way to address this is to have a dedicated animals-permitted ship. Then everyone can have what they want. Me, I will not be booking that ship any time soon.

Yeah and lets put all the people over 55 on one ship, and don't forget about people with kids. They should have one ship too. And while we are at it lets throw in one just for people who smoke. :rolleyes:

Its not like people are traveling with their pets, these are service animals. God forbid you ever need one with that attitude.

Sorry, BC, I learned a long time ago on the Internet, don't feed the trolls.

Lol! Ok please don't. Fyi in all your internet activity you might want to look up what troll means because clearly you don't know.

And what I have learned is that people would discriminate against someone that has a disability just because they have a service animal. Because anyway you look at it telling a blind man that has a dog to help him be independent that he may only sail one ship is discrimination. Thankfully you have no say and carnival cannot legally do this.

I think there is a big difference between a working seeing-eye dog and someone pushing a dog around in a stroller. I do not buy the new age service dog folly. They just need to take their meds. Carnival should not be going to the dogs IMHO!!!!:)

Archived