Take your pet cruising on Carnival with you !!

the dog did nothing before the guy had a seizure no barking no chasing his tail he may have farted or something

Did YOU help the guy? Or did you just stare and do nothing? Let me take a guess....:rolleyes:

Actually, there is quite a scam of fake service dogs. There's an outfit that even sells fake "certified" service dog vests. Just google for fake service dog papers or fake service dog vests and you'll find plenty of info.

Also http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-04-08/news/fl-hk-fake-service-dogs-20110405_1_service-dogs-service-animals-guide-dog

I agree....I think a number of people are trying to call companion animals service dogs....no body is really stating why they need one and most of the examples shared so far do not fall under ADA.....:cool:

I think the problem with this thread is that the question of animals is a very emotional issue, obviously, and certain overwrought posters on here (I can think of a few in particular, unfortunately) have clouded the issue immensely. There is no question that true certified service dogs BELONG onboard for the welfare of their owners, who deserve to have a great vacation as much as anyone else. The OP, however, brought up an excellent point that what constitutes true certification is in question, and there are people, just like in every avenue in life, who will go to any length to abuse the system. These people call the whole system into disrepute, and it's a shame for everyone, not least the animals. Other people have legitimate concerns about allergies and hygiene, and I think those concerns are just as well-founded as the concerns about handicapped access to service dogs, even if they are easily answered. In the end, just as with everything else, there are metes and bounds to cruising, and you have to compromise with your fellow passengers to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. That shouldn't mean exclusion of service animals, but neither should it mean open access for all animals. If that time comes, I think I would rather stay home with my beagle, cats, and finches! And with that said, I think my participation and interest in this thread is officially over.

My DW was the one who started the thread; "Cruising with a Service Dog." I can't begin to tell you how many pages it is and how many different responses she's gotten from every side of the spectrum: Those who don't like dogs and would prefer cruising without them and those who want to know more about it.

I can tell you that the "emotional support" dog or the dog who does hospital visits does NOT have the same rights as the Certified Service/Working Dog. They do NOT have PUBLIC ACCESS. Public Access is protected by the ADA and the DOJ. It wasn't easy getting this legislation for these amazing dogs....it took lots of time and effort on the parts of many folks; blind/deaf/wheel chair bound/medical alert/assistance and now, the "Wounded Warrior" programs, are protected by our Federal Government.

The dogs are Certified by the various Organizations that they are trained by. In my wife's case, her dog Brenda has been professionally trained by Canine Companions for Independence. Brenda was raised by volunteer Puppyraisers for 9 months to one year [where she was taught socialization and proper public behavior], she was then put into a rigorous/advanced program where she was taught to open doors/turn on lights/push elevator buttons/alert to sounds in her envirnonment, like phones ringing, doorbells, fire alarms and on and on. By the time she graduated from training Brenda was worth about $75,000.

Brenda would not lick/bark/scratch or go potty in a public area, EVER. She and dogs like her are considered "the invisible dog!"

In order for her to cruise she has to be on Flea and Tick abatement/be free of any skin disorders/be on Heartguard and have all her immunizations up to date; within 6 months of travel. She MUST be well groomed and mannered.

Brenda will be on her 15th cruise in September. She will be retiring soon and then my wife will get a Sucessor Dog. Brenda will stay home as she lives out her life in rest and relaxation as any 77 year old person should do!!!

The person who fed or watered their Service Dog from the table was absolutely wrong. Brenda is NEVER allowed to have water or food in the restaurant area - whether it be formal or informal. That is inappropriate behavior and had we seen the dog eating off of the dishes or drinking out of a glass.....we would have told the person it was wrong!!!!!

Brenda has been to Europe, sitting inside the airplane by my wife's feet. And, we did encounter "pet" dogs in a few restaurants in both Switzerland and France. Brenda liked it, we didn't so much. As the "pets" are allowed to drink and eat at the table and even go potty on the floor. "Yuck!"

Go to the "Disabled" cruising thread and enter your thoughts, I know my wife will be happy to respond to your questions or concerns.

We've been on Carnival and probably will do them again, in the future, with our Service Dog......we tend to like Princess better because they have the potty situation much more under control.

For those of you who are concerned about the allergy situation with our dogs - being on the abatement products and being so well-groomed certainly alleviates a lot of the concern. No one is more allergic than my wife, who also has asthma. Brenda is groomed and brushed daily for excess hair and suffers from grass allergens, herself. She has to take a daily dose of Benadryl to reduce her red eyes and runny nose. Dogs suffer from perfume/airosole's and stuff that bothers humans, too!!!!!!

May I suggest that you be more tolerant and understanding of folks who could not walk or go through life without the assistance of these amazing miracle working dogs. I emplor you to have patience and understanding when you come across one of these dogs, who have the ability to save lives! They are truly the hero's in our society and deserve our full respect.

If you had been at 9/11 and seen the dogs who displayed such heroism in trying to find and save lives ignoring their own bleeding paws and scratched and scraped noses - you would think differently of these wonderful, blessed beings, who complete the lives of many human beings.

Next time you're lucky enough to encounter one of these highly trained and amazing hero's; whether it be on a cruise, in the mall or on the street....remember what it took to bring this dog into the public venue and show some respect.

Pawlightly,

Morey

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Thank you for this voice of reason.

the dog did nothing before the guy had a seizure no barking no chasing his tail he may have farted or something

and how do you know this? Were your eyes on the dog the whole time? Do you know what signal was to be given? You know not....

There's really no need to shout or be rude--most service dogs alert very discretely in order to not disturb others. A "sit" is the most common alert signal. A dog that "freaks out" by barking or chasing its tail is definitely not a service animal. But see below:

Your'e kidding, right? The dog can alert the person that a seizure is going to happen, but can't force the person to do anything about it. They're also not capable of giving medication. All they do is provide a warning. What was the poor dog supposed to do when the seizure started? Stop the seizure? Hiding under the table was probably the safest thing for the animal to do at that point.

Actually, most seizure alert dogs are trained to mitigate seizures (mitigation is a requirement for a service dog under the ADA). They generally are trained to ease their handler to the floor, push a "life alert" button (those "I've fallen and I can't get up" thingies) and then move any obstacles that might injure their handler. I've seen a seizure alert dog in action (the handler pretended to have a seizure for practice) and it's really something to behold!

Well I have not read this whole tread but lets be honest the term service animal has come to mean almost anything. I dont like being in crowds so I need a animal to calm me down and such. I hope that here in california the do finsh the work on tighting up the law to make a service animal have to pass some training and such . Hell I had a lady come to the store where I worked and pull out a home made badge claiming a parrot was a service animal in training

I think the problem with this thread is that the question of animals is a very emotional issue, obviously, and certain overwrought posters on here (I can think of a few in particular, unfortunately) have clouded the issue immensely. There is no question that true certified service dogs BELONG onboard for the welfare of their owners, who deserve to have a great vacation as much as anyone else. The OP, however, brought up an excellent point that what constitutes true certification is in question, and there are people, just like in every avenue in life, who will go to any length to abuse the system. These people call the whole system into disrepute, and it's a shame for everyone, not least the animals.Other people have legitimate concerns about allergies and hygiene, and I think those concerns are just as well-founded as the concerns about handicapped access to service dogs, even if they are easily answered. In the end, just as with everything else, there are metes and bounds to cruising, and you have to compromise with your fellow passengers to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. That shouldn't mean exclusion of service animals, but neither should it mean open access for all animals. If that time comes, I think I would rather stay home with my beagle, cats, and finches! And with that said, I think my participation and interest in this thread is officially over.

Patrick, your post is a good one and I'm only quoting you because you've brought up some very good points:

I'm a long-time follower of the cruising with a service dog thread and am a paralegal working for an animal law attorney so while none of the information below is meant to be legal advice, I have spent a lot of time dealing with service dog statuatory and case law.

First of all, most mainstream cruise lines comply with US ADA regulations because they are required to when they sail from any U.S. port.

I have found most legitimate service dog handlers are the loudest advocates for limiting the definitation of service dogs. The new, more limited, federal definition of service animals is a direct result of advocacy by legitimate service dog handlers.

Actually what constitutes true "certification" isn't really in question. "Certification" is not required and, as of March 15, 2011 the definition of a service animal is:

"Any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. . . The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition. The new ADA regulations very clearly exclude "emotional support" or "therapy" animals.

As an allergy sufferer myself, I appreciate your concern for those who have allergy or hygiene issues but the law is clear on that issue--please see the Department of Justice's ADA Business Brief (http://www.ada.gov/svcabrpt.pdf) which states "Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals"

Of course, if those who have posted that their allergies are disabling (i.e., an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as seeing, hearing, moving about, dressing, eating, etc) they are also welcome to require that the cruise line make reasonable accommodations for their disability.

What the hell is wrong with you? You know nothing about me.

See below. You (hopefully) were in jest with your post about the dog farting as a signal. But from the way you wrote it, it didn't seem like it. Did you call 911, and/or aid the person having a seizure? (moving all objects away that may cause injury would have been a good start.) You just seemed very callous re: the way you wrote your post. Just sayin'.

and how do you know this? Were your eyes on the dog the whole time? Do you know what signal was to be given? You know not....

See below. You (hopefully) were in jest with your post about the dog farting as a signal. But from the way you wrote it, it didn't seem like it. Did you call 911, and/or aid the person having a seizure? (moving all objects away that may cause injury would have been a good start.) You just seemed very callous re: the way you wrote your post. Just sayin'.

I don't know what happened as far as that poster and what he saw or didn't see that dog do, but I know there are service dogs that don't work out on occasion....maybe this was the case with that one??

I once had a blind client...her first seeing-eye dog had to give up his job. She was on a train with him and she was sitting next to a woman who had just stopped at the deli to get some food. Her service dog proceded to eat the contents of the deli bag...not good service dog behavior (sometimes you just can't take the 'eating machine' out of a retriever ;)).

She then had to wait for a new dog.

...Stuff like this happens sometimes.

This is no way negates the effectiveness of other dogs as that poster seems to imply.`

I just felt the need to chime in on this thread. My mother suffers from seizures and she has a 4 1/4 lb chihuahua that warns us when's she's about to have one. So no matter the size of the dog they can be a service dog.

And to also add a comment about strollers. As you can guess a tiny chihuahua can't walk very long distances so we bought for my mother's dog so that my mother could have greater mobility since she pretty much has to take the dog with her everywhere and to also to keep children from running up and trying to pet the dog. It's an added bonus that the stroller helps with my mother's balance when she walks.

Oh and ps the dog will be coming along with my mother when we cruise in Nov.

I don't know what happened as far as that poster and what he saw or didn't see that dog do, but I know there are service dogs that don't work out on occasion....maybe this was the case with that one??

I once had a blind client...her first seeing-eye dog had to give up his job. She was on a train with him and she was sitting next to a woman who had just stopped at the deli to get some food. Her service dog proceded to eat the contents of the deli bag...not good service dog behavior (sometimes you just can't take the 'eating machine' out of a retriever ;)).

She then had to wait for a new dog.

...Stuff like this happens sometimes.

This is no way negates the effectiveness of other dogs as that poster seems to imply.`

I know I shouldn't get bent out of shape over this thread - it just hits very close to home, as dd22 has a (uncontrolled by multiple drugs and a VNS) seizure disorder. (luckily, "minor" - not grand mal) We had looked into getting a seizure dog for her - after researching it, felt it wouldn't fit into her/our lifestyle. Interestingly enough, our cat "knows" when dd is going to have, or is having a "bad" day, and won't leave her side - follows her everywhere in the house. Pretty spooky!

I know I shouldn't get bent out of shape over this thread - it just hits very close to home, as dd22 has a (uncontrolled by multiple drugs and a VNS) seizure disorder. (luckily, "minor" - not grand mal) We had looked into getting a seizure dog for her - after researching it, felt it wouldn't fit into her/our lifestyle. Interestingly enough, our cat "knows" when dd is going to have, or is having a "bad" day, and won't leave her side - follows her everywhere in the house. Pretty spooky!

not spookly at all...amazing and awesome is what it is.

Our pets are a gift...animals in general are a gift. There is no denying that. :)

My wife and I were on the 4/30 sailing and ended up behind the woman and her dog getting back on the ship in cozumel. The dog looked like a yorkshire terrier and was wearing a red medical emergency dog coat. I believe she said the dog was a seizure alert dog. The dog had its own passport. We sat near them again on the tender into belize and did not hear the dog make a sound. she just sat on her owners lap

I'm willing to bet those service animals are much cleaner and more well-behaved than a good chunk of passengers. Just sayin.......

When you're right, you're right! Although I don't know what the "service" part has to do with it.

I don't care how well behaved the animal is, some people are extremely allergic to animals, if it's a long haired breed, their hair gets into places that can't be reached by a vacuum and end up in someone's nose who will develop a severe allergic reaction. There is no defending an animal in your stateroom prior to your cruise, joke all you want, the cruiseline needs to establish a procedure to inform passengers when a service animal has inhabited the stateroom prior to your stay, period. A severe allergy can kill someone.

A vacuum won't get it but you can suck it up with your nose?

That's impressive...

There's really no need to shout or be rude--most service dogs alert very discretely in order to not disturb others. A "sit" is the most common alert signal. A dog that "freaks out" by barking or chasing its tail is definitely not a service animal. But see below:

Actually, most seizure alert dogs are trained to mitigate seizures (mitigation is a requirement for a service dog under the ADA). They generally are trained to ease their handler to the floor, push a "life alert" button (those "I've fallen and I can't get up" thingies) and then move any obstacles that might injure their handler. I've seen a seizure alert dog in action (the handler pretended to have a seizure for practice) and it's really something to behold!

This is the absolute truth. I've seen this first-hand as an EMT and was absolutely astounded by the dog's abilities. The dog (some smallish mutt and I say that nicely) was transported with the man and AFAIK was admitted along with him.

It's called Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and it is a law. That is why Service Dogs are allowed to provide a service to their people and "trump your rights".

Yes it is the law! Someone's life is much more important. For the person with the allergies you can just take a Benedryl. Service dogs come from all different breeds. One of my customers has a service dog that saved her life many times. Her dog can sense the changes in her blood sugar, and alerts her when they are too high or too low. Someone's life is a lot more important than itchy, watery eyes and sneezing. I am allergic to idiots, but still have to cruise with them. :eek:

Valentine is a Japanese Chin.:D

I thought that it might be a chin. I have 2 and 1/2 chins (one is part chin and part pekingnese). I just love them but they shed so much. :).

Wow, instead of making all sorts of sarcastic assumptions why didn't you just ask the owner what type of service dog it was, even though they don't owe you an explanation.

Not only are some breeds trained to signal oncoming seizures, there are some that are also trained in dealing with folks who have sleep apnea. There are also quiet a few service animals trained to assist with our troops that have come back from war and have trouble returning to everyday civilian life. Do some research before you make such snide remarks.

I vote for you

I wonder if the people who complain about service dogs on ships also avoid theaters, grocery stores, department stores, restaurants, libraries, schools, hotels, post offices, museums, sports events, doctor's offices, airplanes, trains, taxis and buses as well, since service dogs are allowed in all those places.

First, I want to thank my dear husband [rolls royce lover] for standing-up for Service/Working Dogs. And, then I wanted to add one more thing; if you look at my Avatar and within my post you will see Brenda.

She's my Hero.....she's made it safe for me to go out into public; she's saved my life on more than once occasion [and, never expected anything in return]; she's selfless and unselfish. She makes friends wherever she goes; she never judges or says unkind words; she's always ready to play; she always gives me love and is ready to receive it; she's a wonderful girl, with a golden heart and is pure of soul.

She's 11 years old now and I know that her life is winding down; she's slower to respond to my needs and likes to sleep a bit more than she used to but she's still ready to go to work every single day!!!!!

She doesn't whine because she doesn't think she's paid enough or cry when she doesn't get as much as the next dog......she just wants to go to work and make me happy!

She'll have a younger playmate soon, as I'm up for a Successor Dog and then she can stay home with PaPa and take her naps and get belly rubs all day long, if she wishes.

Pure of soul; Pure of heart.......Don't you wish more people were like this?

Most dogs do not have the temperament or training to be actual service dogs, and as companies digest the new rules fewer anxiety chihuahuas will be found on board and elsewhere.

My dog is quite small (toy cockapoo), but she'd be more than happy to finish everything on a person's plate that they are too full to finish. I call it "Garbage Service". Think that will fly :p

Archived