Fantasy questions -Charleston Ship

Kharalew

Temperature: I started packing for our family cruise on the Fantasy! It will be the end of may and going to the Bahamas, so I am pretty sure that the outdoor temps will be nice and warm. However, I am nervous about the temperature in places like our room, Dining room, etc. I get cold easily (ok, i'm a baby) and I thought I read somewhere that you cannot adjust the room temp. Is this true? We will be in a G.S., does that make a difference in our ability to adjust the room temp? Is the Dining room air conditioned? If so, how cold is it? I'm trying to pack light like everyone says to do, but since I am a big baby, should I pack lots of sweaters?

For a reference, my hubby likes to keep our house around 68 degrees and I FREEZE! I like the house around 74 degrees or higher :o

Formal Night: Are there any formal night activities other than dressing up? I am excited for this night and already have my gown, but it would be fun to have some sort of dancing/activity.

Camp Carnival: My dd is 3 (4 next month, acts and speaks like she's a teen), and my ds is 11. Any good details/advise would be awesome!

Additional cruiser: Our good friend just got dumped this weekend by his fiance. :( So now he is tagging along on the cruise. Will there be opportunities/activities geared toward singles that can keep him busy and entertained? We want him to have a great time and not feel like a 5th wheel.

Hotel: Should I book this in advance or find one on the way?

5th anniversary: This event occurs during the cruise! Any ideas on something special I can suprise DH with? I don't want to order the decorations from the ship, but if anyone has a good idea, please share :)

OK, can you guys tell I'm a 1st time cruiser??? Thanks for all info. in advance! Please no rude comments about how I can find this info. somewhere else, or I have bad grammar, or any of that other type of negative commenting :rolleyes: Thanks!

Temperature: I started packing for our family cruise on the Fantasy! It will be the end of may and going to the Bahamas, so I am pretty sure that the outdoor temps will be nice and warm. However, I am nervous about the temperature in places like our room, Dining room, etc. I get cold easily (ok, i'm a baby) and I thought I read somewhere that you cannot adjust the room temp. Is this true? We will be in a G.S., does that make a difference in our ability to adjust the room temp? Is the Dining room air conditioned? If so, how cold is it? I'm trying to pack light like everyone says to do, but since I am a big baby, should I pack lots of sweaters?

Take a black sweater to go with everything. The ship has nice shawls for sale only $10 in all colors they are huge and great to wrap up in.

for a reference, my hubby likes to keep our house around 68 degrees and I FREEZE! I like the house around 74 degrees or higher :o

You can adjust the temp in your room although the range of temp isn't huge. I am usually warm and we keep our house at 76.

Formal Night: Are there any formal night activities other than dressing up? I am excited for this night and already have my gown, but it would be fun to have some sort of dancing/activity.

Dancing you can dress for if you'd like. Some dress for dinner everynight some don't. (not a evening gown though) save that for elegant evening.

Camp Carnival: My dd is 3 (4 next month, acts and speaks like she's a teen), and my ds is 11. Any good details/advise would be awesome!

Additional cruiser: Our good friend just got dumped this weekend by his fiance. :( So now he is tagging along on the cruise. Will there be opportunities/activities geared toward singles that can keep him busy and entertained? We want him to have a great time and not feel like a 5th wheel.

Don't wait they book quickly, I book months in advance. We stayed in mt pleasant at a great Sleep Inn, great room and service.

5th anniversary: This event occurs during the cruise! Any ideas on something special I can suprise DH with? I don't want to order the decorations from the ship, but if anyone has a good idea, please share :)

Order room service and drinks to your room, stay in..:D

OK, can you guys tell I'm a 1st time cruiser??? Thanks for all info. in advance! Please no rude comments about how I can find this info. somewhere else, or I have bad grammar, or any of that other type of negative commenting :rolleyes: Thanks!

I just came back from Elation last saturday and NOTHING was cold. My cabin did not blow a/c. there is a dial where its either partially shut or all the way open. All the way open, Carnival came to measure and says if its 74 or under its not broke ...so you will think its fine. There is a dial on your ceiling to adjust the airflow.

The ac in the theater was not turned as cool as I have had on other cruises, much warmer.

If you take one sweater, you will be fine. I was hot the whole cruise.

I would book a hotel at the port that includes cruise parking. I have yet to pay for parking at the port .. not once. .. and I have about 30 cruises in the last few years.

I have looked into the cruise and stay packages a little. They run almost $200. I have also looked at staying in a $70/night hotel and then I would be paying about $75 for parking. I am also hoping that my DH will get his disabled plates before we go and then we would not have to pay for parking. (He's a disabled veteran).

I will for sure bring a sweater. I guess I won't need to pack as many long sleeved shirts and long jeans as I had thought :) Woo hoo bring on the heat!

Just a suggestion ... we booked the A loft (near the airport) park & cruise package for July, $123, includes parking for duration of the cruise & shuttle to/from the port. I'm assuming if it costs $123 in July when its really busy ($109 before tax), it may be less or at least the same this month (I'm assuming it is not as busy right now, but could be totally wrong).

See my notes below

For a reference, my hubby likes to keep our house around 68 degrees and I FREEZE! I like the house around 74 degrees or higher :o

We usually cannot get it cold enough for us. As others have suggested take a sweater that you can use all the time.

Nothing special at all. Most people will not be dressed up.

Not really much for single or solo travelers. Just a good time to relax.

You should always book hotels ahead of time, on line or by calling directly to get the best rate. If you walk in without a reservation, you may get a room but you will probably pay a higher rate. Hotels and motels in the Charleston area are plentiful and it is the rare occasion that you cannot find nice accommodations in that area. If cost is an issue and you are driving stay an hour or so outside of town and drive in the morning you sail.

One last thought if you are cruising over Memorial day, expect hotels in the immediate area to be more expensive and harder to find. Best bet may be to stay out of town.

it may be less or at least the same this month (I'm assuming it is not as busy right now, but could be totally wrong).

Actually March and April are the busiest months here with the bridge run, various festivals, etc...

Spring and Fall are the busiest times here. (due to weather)

July, NOT as busy, as by then it is hotter than hell here and nobody is going out sightseeing, just to the beach.

Bill

Temperature: All Ships are hit or miss with temps. I'd take black wrap with you and take it to any indoor activities. There is a control but it is only for air flow. So it the room is cold you can adjust the air flow down and warm up.

Formal Night: There is plenty of dancing going on and Picture taking ops. Usually during formal night they have a more elegant music area, such as panio player and dancing.

Additional cruiser: There are many singles events, they will be listed in the newsletter.

Hotel: Depends on whether you will make all the way to port or not. If you are planning on staying near port, I'd go ahead and get a room. Ck out the port area message board.

If you are going stop part of the way down, the I would wait till you get tired.

5th anniversary: Do let your PVP or TA know this is your anniversary.

Archived