Question on Adriatic Ports of call - which cruise

CCJack

I am trying to decide between RCCL Voyager OTS:

(Departs From Venice, Italy visiting Koper, Slovenia >> Ravenna, Italy >> Bari, Italy >> Dubrovnik, Croatia)

and Norwegian Jade:

Departs From Venice, Italy visiting Dubrovnik, Croatia >> Piraeus (Athens), Greece >> Izmir, Turkey >> Split, Croatia)

We have been on RCCL several times, including Voyager class ships, but not to Europe. We have never been on NCL. I am mostly interested in the ports of call - I would like to see Athens, but I am not familiar with the other stops...

Which of these two trips would be most interesting for us... A couple in our 40s. I love History, and she and me like to relax. We are in excellent shape and like to walk and do some sightseeing....

thanks.

Hmmm. I will probably get flamed by some folks but do not love either itinerary...especially for a first time visitor. We do love embarking from Venice (this does involve some real logistical planning) and would probably lean towards your 2nd itinerary (Jade) except that we are not big fans of Izmir (we prefer ships that stop in Kusadasi). That being said, from Izmir you can still book an excursion (we suggest a private excursion) to Ephesus but its a good 1:20 drive each way.

My problem with the RCI itinerary is that the East Coast of Italy cities (Ravenna and Bari) are OK, but not the best places for somebody for those who have not explored more interesting parts of Italy.

Hank

if you want to see Athens,,,the first one visits small,great towns,,which I love,,but it may miss the major ones that are also fantastic,,,can always go to smaller ones,,,like Bari,Ravenna,Koper,,,on NEXT trip,,,which is what we did....do visit each city under Search function in Ports,,,get good guidebooks,,and google each one too,,,,lots to see and do,,,can find out what YOU want to see...good luck....let us know:)

Of the two listed, I'd go with #2 also. Bari (to me) is sort of a throwaway port. And while Izmir isn't ideal, you can get to the sights in the region if you have a reasonably long port time there.

I assume both of these cruises are for 7 days. Is there a reason you aren't considering a longer cruise? In this region, you can see so much more (and often get the better itineraries) on longer cruises. Even moving up to a 10- or 12-day cruise is very worthwhile.

My personal feeling is that, with airfare to Europe so expensive, it's better to take more time and either do a longer cruise or spend some time in Europe before or after the cruise. Otherwise, it's hardly worth the long flight time and $$$ spent.

Thanks for great replies. I am leaning towards the rccl trip...it is the one I already booked but still could change. First timers to italy but not to europe..been to many places. I like small town relaxing stops but was unfamiliar with ravenna, koper, etc. are these places that you can do on your own and just relax in a nice town center or are excursions a requirement? Also what are thoughts on athens...after reading more it sounds like that may be a big bus trip with lots of traffic, but with beautiful historical sights once there.. In general is this a good cruise stop or better to just go to greece for a week? Thanks..

We're going on the RCI Adriatic cruise this fall. Many of the ports I haven't been to yet so I'm watching for the trip reports as they come trickling in. The first sailing this season is on the last Saturday of May so it shouldn't be too long before we can start asking about people's impressions of the ports the Voyager goes to.

Nope. Can't stay longer..this is a honeymoon (2nd marriage for both) so we have small kids and dogs at home and can't stay much longer. Plus we are staying for three days in venice. This is just a part of the world we have not seen so we wanted to cruise in the area. Flying for free using miles. Just want to make the best decision on which ship to go with. Need to decide this weekend. Thanks.

Although I booked the RCI cruise for myself on Oct 15, for a first time Europe trip I would chose NCL. Athens is just a short train ride from the harbour unless there is a strike. Izmir offers lots of antique hellenic sites nearby.

Personally I booked the Voyager for the stop in Bari. Puglia is a beautiful province with lots of interesing sites. The film "Passion of the Christ" was filmed in Matera and Castel del Monte is a spectacular site. Plus it is not overrun with tourists as are the more popular provinces in Italy.

Ravenna is lovely and you can do it on your own. Same with Dubrovnik. Sounds like you should have Venice covered. As for Bari, well maybe someone else can chime in. I considered a cruise with a stop there once and couldn't find many positive comments about the place!

Here is a good thread from last summer with information on Koper:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1240751

Personally, I still prefer the NCL itinerary.

Athens is a wonderful city and you do not need to take a bus tour there unless that's what you want to do. It's easy to get to the Acropolis under your own steam, either by very good public transportation (metro system) or a taxi for around 20-25 euro, one way.

I would go with #2, especially if you haven't been to Athens.

The only other thing I would consider is how long you are in port. If one itinerary offers much better port days (say 12 hrs vs. 8 hrs) that might make a difference as well.

We've got the Voyager booked for the fall also. Didn't know much about Koper prior to doing some research but now am very much looking forward to it. We have a private tour booked to Ljubljana (capital city) and also to Piran. There are also a lot of other beautiful sights in Slovenia (caves, Lake Bled, castles).

Not crazy about stopping in Bari, either. I would have preferred Kotor (Montenegro), but figured the rest of the itinerary was good. Cruisemom42, I like your terminology "Throwaway port". That's exactly how I feel about it too.

The other thing I like about the Voyager itinerary is that it has the "built-in" hotel night in Venice the day before disembarking the ship. So we arrive into port in Venice, tour it all day, stay the night on the ship in port, then get off the ship the next morning, already in port. Don't have to worry about being delayed getting back into port the morning of our flight home.

Thanks for all your great replies.... I tend to agree with everyone that the ports of call may be better for the NCL cruise, however, I decided to go with RCL. Partly the NCL ship was quite a bit more money - just timing I guess, that doesn't make much sense, but RCL was quite a bit cheaper. Also, I really like having one fewer "at sea" days. Even with a "throwaway" port in there, that is better than an "at sea" day because the ship will be less crowded. I guess I will have to save Athens for our next trip....

Archived