Proper attire for young boys?

My son lives in red t-shirts and bermuda shorts and hates to dress up. We will be on RCI Liberty (Western Med). My husband and I like dressing up and we would like to bring him along to formal night. He said that he would rather have room service than put on a pair of long pants or a tie.

What is the minimum he can get away with to be allowed into the MDR on formal night? He has agreed to wear his school uniform (!!!) ie short sleeved white shirt with a school tie with long pants as a compromise, is that good enough? He is 12 but is very petit and looks like 9.

On formal nights, do you have to dress up to go to the Windjammer cafe? Is it ok if only 2 of us turn up at the MDR?

My son lives in red t-shirts and bermuda shorts and hates to dress up. We will be on RCI Liberty (Western Med). My husband and I like dressing up and we would like to bring him along to formal night. He said that he would rather have room service than put on a pair of long pants or a tie.

What is the minimum he can get away with to be allowed into the MDR on formal night? He has agreed to wear his school uniform (!!!) ie short sleeved white shirt with a school tie with long pants as a compromise, is that good enough? He is 12 but is very petit and looks like 9.

On formal nights, do you have to dress up to go to the Windjammer cafe? Is it ok if only 2 of us turn up at the MDR?

IMO, his school uniform will be fine for formal night. It sounds to me ( as the mother of three sons:D) like a good compromise. Would he wear his red t shirts with some long pants or jeans on the other nights in the MDR?

As far as your other questions, you do not have to dress up for the WJ on formal nights (or any night). It is ok if only 2 of your turn up in the MDR.

Sherri:)

The kids clubs do dinners. If he gets involved with the kids/teens club and enjoys it, you might let him do dinner with them.

If he wants to go to dinner with you, I would think that his school uniform with pants would be fine.

I suggest that you pack his formal wear just in case, and if he feels up for the dinner, let him come. If not, he could do room service or hang with the kids club. :)

I have khakis with a long sleeved button front shirt & tie for my boys for the 2 formal nights. For the less formal night,we would still l;ike to dine as a family and prefer to dine in the nicer areas (not the WindJammer) - what is acceptable attire for them those nights? Are they ok with plaid shorts & a polo? Or chino shorts & a polo?

I have khakis with a long sleeved button front shirt & tie for my boys for the 2 formal nights. For the less formal night,we would still l;ike to dine as a family and prefer to dine in the nicer areas (not the WindJammer) - what is acceptable attire for them those nights? Are they ok with plaid shorts & a polo? Or chino shorts & a polo?

RCCL actually requests that no shorts are worn in the dining room. Khaki pants and a polo shirt are good for "casual" nights in the MDR.

Can they get away with crisp dark jeans and a dress shirt on the casual dinner nights in the dining rooms?

Jeans are fine but they wouldn't need a dress shirt. A polo-style shirt or even a ss button-up shirt (like a Hawaiian or plaid one) would be fine with the jeans.

• 1 year later...

Happy to report back on this.

After our first cruise last year on Liberty OTS in June, we brought our son to the MDR on the first (casual) night (in jeans and polo shirt) then the next night to Windjammer.

When he realised the vast difference in the quality of the food and service in the two venues, he meekly put on his jacket, tie and formal pants ( Thank God I brought them along!) and went to the MDR for dinner every night. He did remove the jacket the minute he stepped out of the dining room though.

Since then we have been on 3 other cruises and he has not voiced the slightest objection to wearing the suit.....now, dare I try a tux next?

Archived