Cruising with a Baby - Please do not touch!

siebelqueen

We disembarked from the Veendam this morning, and I would have to guess that no less than 50 complete strangers felt the need to touch our baby at some point during the cruise. Some would reach down and grab her foot. Others rubbed her hair or her cheek. Some tried to play with her hands. I understand that our daughter is adorable, and she smiles at everyone with a look that simply beams love for all. But in an environment where hand washing is promoted (but not necessarily observed) at every turn, it was difficult for me to relax with so many people trying to touch the baby.

For those of you who are among those who like to touch strangers babies, please understand that I am not trying to be rude. But when you're somewhere far from home and there is a concern for things such as norovirus, parents need to exercise caution, especially with little ones who are not fully vaccinated due to their young age.

Just had to voice my concern here. Thanks for understanding.

Erica

Erica,

With all due respect, if I was concerned about my baby contracting a disease from strangers, I would not take them on a cruise, to the mall, to church, etc. where they will be exposed to crowds. Babies are like puppies - people are attracted to them.

Roz

A cruise line like HAL attracts a lot of mature cruisers, many of whom adore kids. I think that a child is actually more at risk in a daycare center with other kids than with a group of very clean, well groomed, mature adults. Not to mention that coming into contact with the world around us helps build a healthy immune system. My kids are military brats who survived living and traveling all over the world. When we lived in Spain, a owner of one of our favorite cafes loved to pick up my daughter and show her off to anyone who would listen. She lived. However, if you are that concerned you could always seal your child in plastic and hang a sign on her instructing all to "keep your cotton picking hands off."

Do people touch your baby at home, too, or Only on your cruise? :confused:

Please don't misunderstand me. I didn't mean to start an argument. We're not about to place our daughter in a bubble or anything. She goes to daycare and is exposed to lots of people in lots of places. Perhaps where we live, people are more conscientious and usually ask before they touch her. Or if we're out walking and we see someone making a beeline to touch her, we can steer her stroller out of the way. But when we're waiting for an elevator or sitting down for a meal and people go out of their way to walk up and touch her, it's rather uncomfortable for us. That's all.

I understand your concern to a point. I am a mum of two kids but we lost 9 so I know the protective feeling you are talking about. That said, it is you who is in control of who touches your child and if it was that important that your child not be touched I don't understand bringing them on a cruise. Why didn't you do a land vacation and rent a villa where you would be more private? That is just my opinion as I feel it is cruel to bring a child into a confined space, although large but still limited, and expect that the child will be ignored.

To someone who does not have the previlidge of having a child, or have not had one around in decades, perhaps they just want to remember the sweet smell of a baby and perhaps touch the child's head or rub those incredibly small feet. I do not see the harm in that.

But it is your child and I would expect you to tell me if you did not want me to touch. I would think that a person could easily say that you prefer that the baby be left alone given they have not had all their innoculations. But if I saw you putting that child down on the floor where everyone was walking or allowing them to touch the table top in the lido without wiping it down with antibacterial cleaner first , I would certainly question, to myself of course, your wisdom.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise despite the attention your child brought upon your family.

I've seen a lot of parents on here lamenting the fact that some cruisers seem to be child haters and now we have someone who doesn't like cruisers who make a fuss over her baby. We can't win for losing here.

I would never touch a baby's face or hands but tweaking a foot or scratching a belly? C'mon. Babies are social animals and people just naturally respond.

I do think it's unreasonable to expect a "hands off" reaction when people are not doing anything wrong towards your daughter. I assume she has an immune system, and lives in the real world where germs are everywhere (hence the reason we have immune systems).

The obvious solution is to not cruise with her until she's older (teen or adult). I shudder to think what the people in the stateroom next door thought when your daughter cried - as all babies do from time to time. I'm sure they were thrilled to have a baby next door ;-(

Sue/WDW1972

DCL Dream 11/10/11

Noordam 1/13/12

I have have three grown children ...they grew up on the Mexican border where the culture is to touch children all children...some thought it brought good luck. If the child was blond it attracted more touching which mine were. The children did just fine. I now have 7 grandchildren all older than five...when they were babies, yes, people touched their heads and feet often when the children were out in public...neither I nor their parents really worried about it. Agsain no health issues.

If your baby is in day care it is handled all day by various people who are also dealing with other children in the center. As my doctor says, there is nothing germier than the hands of a child and your baby is exposed to lots of children every day in day care.

You will not stop people especially many of the people that sail with HAL from touching your child without you coming across as very rude. Since this was a problem for you and your baby, either don't cruise until the child is older or cruise and don't worry about it! IMO

Unless your baby is still young enough that she chews on her feet, I can't imagine how someone giving her little foot a squeeze would be harmful. A well behaved baby can be a joy to be around, a crying baby is not, so I'm hopeful you removed her from public areas when she began to cry.

We traveled on Crystal with our then 2 1/2 year old and then 8 month old grandsons. Our daughter removed them from the public area if they became cranky. The children had a wonderful time, and hopefully those around them did as well. Many people came over and wanted to interact with them, and lots of the crew wanted to hold the baby. Remember, many of them have families at home that they don't see for 8-10 months at a time. We didn't wrap the baby in bubble wrap, and neither of them became ill. Hopefully, they brightened the day for many people.

Perhaps your daughter is not ready to be on a cruise where her appeal brings unwanted attention.

Ricki

I can understand your concern - if Noro was on the ship.

However, as Sapper 1 said, if the person just touches the feet or some place as that, there shouldn't be a concern. Face is a different matter.

and if it is a concern, just speak up, no big deal. all cruisers are not on cruise critic so although we might follow your request the bulk of cruisers will not.

It's just a matter of speaking up - whether you want to say that she's content, please leave her/him alone or 'let sleeping dogs lie' or whatever your preference is, there is nothing wrong with asking politely that people do not touch the baby.

It's totally up to you. but you have to act then, not later :D And do take the attention as a compliment - it was :)

I do understand your post...many many years ago when my first born was an infant we visited the South where his father was from... people there were used to passing babies around at church..and strangers...they were strangers to me:eek: would just take my child and walk off to show him to someone else. It drove me crazy until I realized that he was not being harmed and that it was okay to share a precious little baby with other people.

I am reserved enough that I would never touch another person's child...I remember those days..right or wrong....but if it truly bothered you that much...then don't put you or the baby in a situation where someone will want to touch and make a fuss over him/her.

Our grandson was two on a family cruise one Thanksgiving..he was the hit of the dining room and the waiter would carry him around every night...John loved it and the waiters and servers loved having some interaction with a little one:) And....Grandma had learned that it's okay for others to touch our babies!!!

Erica - I agree with you on this one. I don't want strangers touching my dog my child, myself, etc. A polite wave and interaction - smiling, etc with the child is fine but people this is not your child or your grandchild - as you teach children just keep your hands to yourselves.

The OP is talking about people simply walking up and touching the baby. It seems like there was no interaction or relationship with the parents of the child - people just making a bee line to make contact with her baby.

Just because something is small and cute doesn't mean you have any right to touch it.

I am betting that this OP is a first time mom. With that first child I can remember being so careful and so protective. Let's cut her a little slack here. As the child grows older she will realize that kids survive in spite of catching a germ here and there, and in fact become healthier because of the immunities they develop. When the second child and any subsequent child comes along this mom will learn to relax and take life a bit less seriously.

In the meantime, we all might look a bit closer at our own actions and see if we ignore cues from protective parents when we see an adorable child and want to reach out and touch.

Erica,

With all due respect, if I was concerned about my baby contracting a disease from strangers, I would not take them on a cruise, to the mall, to church, etc. where they will be exposed to crowds. Babies are like puppies - people are attracted to them.

Roz

I guess that I must be an strange because I am not attracted to babies. I guess I am more of a dog person.

FWIW, I am not a first time mom. We cruised four years ago on the Maasdam with our son who was 8 months old at the time. Very few people touched him then - certainly not enough to bother us. And yes, our daughter does still put her feet in her mouth.

We chose to cruise as it is a convenient way for us to go on vacation without having to fly with the children. Plus, cruising does have something for passengers of all ages. If cruising weren't for families with infants, then I'm sure there would be more restrictions.

Again, I was not looking for an argument.

How was the cruise on Veendam?

The Veendam was very nice, although I'm not a fan of the new retreat layout. However, the ride was really rough and lots of people got sea sick, especially on the way back from Bermuda. I'll post a review once I've finished unpacking and downloading pictures.

We disembarked from the Veendam this morning, and I would have to guess that no less than 50 complete strangers felt the need to touch our baby at some point during the cruise. Some would reach down and grab her foot. Others rubbed her hair or her cheek. Some tried to play with her hands. I understand that our daughter is adorable, and she smiles at everyone with a look that simply beams love for all. But in an environment where hand washing is promoted (but not necessarily observed) at every turn, it was difficult for me to relax with so many people trying to touch the baby.

For those of you who are among those who like to touch strangers babies, please understand that I am not trying to be rude. But when you're somewhere far from home and there is a concern for things such as norovirus, parents need to exercise caution, especially with little ones who are not fully vaccinated due to their young age.

Just had to voice my concern here. Thanks for understanding.

Erica

It is wonderful that so many people wanted to touch your baby in a loving gesture --

but --

I do feel your concern what with all the concern for Noro and other germs -- really tough on you

just glad that your baby and you all did not pick up any germs

Our DD is a healthy, albeit slender 24 yr.old; and I can relate to your concerns. DH and I were living in an apartment when DD arrived, and we had an occasion to have our DBIL and DSIL visit minutes after our sterilization routine of bottles, soothers, etc. The apartment was a sauna; and DBIL ( a physician ) gave me a very tolerant look, and said" Marilyn, you do realize that children survive in third world countries, where this degree of sterilization is not possible." Somehow this non-accusatory statement resounded with us. Your beautiful child will draw attention, but all will be from a source of admiration; not in any way to the negative. If you still have an aversion to public attention, then you may need to rethink a public venue such as a cruise ship for a family vacation,

Marilyn

I don't see this as a cruise vs. land vacation thing. Babies don't need to be touched by strangers; however, it is our responsibility as parents to politely ask that they not be touched if that is something we don't want to happen.

My DS was a week shy of 2 years old when he first cruised, so this wasn't such an issue on the cruise but I understand the concern and had the same concerns when he was an infant.

FWIW, I am not a first time mom. We cruised four years ago on the Maasdam with our son who was 8 months old at the time. Very few people touched him then - certainly not enough to bother us. And yes, our daughter does still put her feet in her mouth.

We chose to cruise as it is a convenient way for us to go on vacation without having to fly with the children. Plus, cruising does have something for passengers of all ages. If cruising weren't for families with infants, then I'm sure there would be more restrictions.

Again, I was not looking for an argument.

no worries - no arguments from me - your little one obviously can't be resisted

Just ask people nicely to leave her alone and I am sure you won't have any problems. Speaking for myself only, I don't touch others' babies unless I am invited - and I would ask. But everyone isn't the same.

I think cruises are great for families and commend you - just making a suggestion to avoid the problem ;)

Archived